Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Plymouth sad but inevitable  (Read 12545 times)

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Plymouth sad but inevitable
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:47:55 am »

This morning the old Type 12 frigate, Falklands veteran  and one time historic ship HMS Plymouth was towed from  the west float at Birkenhead  to be  broken up  in Turkey . For a number of years HMS Plymouth has remained unattended  in the west float waiting in vain for a new home  but given the fact that there was  no home forthcoming  then  today  seemed   inevitable.

Bowwave

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Plymouth sad but inevitable
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 01:15:00 pm »

They should have got Banksy to graffiti the side of the ship then the Arts Council would have insisted that it should be saved.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 01:37:43 pm »

Would have been good to see the departure after all this time..... no doubt a Peel Ports clear out........ >>:-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 02:10:46 pm »

I expect it will be Illustrious next. The latest Ships Monthly has a big banner headline on the cover saying 'FAREWELL TO HMS INVINCIBLE', I think they need a new proof reader!

Colin

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 02:35:28 pm »

Hi Colin  Sometimes  its best to let these old ships  go with dignity .  <:(
Bowwave

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 02:54:38 pm »

Not quite sailing into the sunset .

Bowwave

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 04:14:19 pm »

heard that a court ordered that the HMS Plymouth association actually owned her NOT the company that sold her and that she's been reported as being taken without legal authority , could make it interesting as if its correct then the towing company are towing a stolen ship. Guess the next 24hrs will see what happens
Davie Tait,
Scotland

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:32:21 pm »

heard that a court ordered that the HMS Plymouth association actually owned her NOT the company that sold her and that she's been reported as being taken without legal authority , could make it interesting as if its correct then the towing company are towing a stolen ship. Guess the next 24hrs will see what happens

was just reading something about this and allegedly .........its only on facebook at the moment
Peel ports security refused access for the arrest warrant to be issued to the tugs,
and now they are trying to get in contact with the tugs to have them return the ship
the tug has got some engine problems so is sitting off Anglesey
and UKIP are actively getting involved in saving it 

regardless of what you may think about saving her or not its making a bit of a dramatic ending for the ship
(if this was America never mind them keeping it as a museum, there would be an Oscar nominated film being made  {-) {-) )

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 05:04:36 pm »

Hi Colin  Sometimes  its best to let these old ships  go with dignity .

I was just suggesting that Illustrious will be the next name to crop up. Personally I find it hard to believe that Illustrious could make a viable preservation project. She lacks the visual and historical interest of Victory, Warrior, Mary Rose, the ships at Chatham and Britannia. She would cost a fortune to maintain and her cramped hangars rule out the sort of displays you can see aboard USS Intrepid in New York.

I reckon that after a decent period, with no practical bids, she will be off to the breakers like the others.

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 05:17:05 pm »

I was just suggesting that Illustrious will be the next name to crop up. Personally I find it hard to believe that Illustrious could make a viable preservation project. She lacks the visual and historical interest of Victory, Warrior, Mary Rose, the ships at Chatham and Britannia. She would cost a fortune to maintain and her cramped hangars rule out the sort of displays you can see aboard USS Intrepid in New York.

I reckon that after a decent period, with no practical bids, she will be off to the breakers like the others.

Colin

So not much to see, expensive to maintain as a museum piece etc etc. That's probably why the Hull city council want it moored on the Humber waterfront as a visitor attraction!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 05:22:41 pm »

Begs the question if the HMS Plymouth association are the owners why have they waited till now, and if she is returned what would they do with her, I doubt they have the financial clout to referb her, even if they wanted to. :((

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 06:22:42 pm »

the tug has got some engine problems so is sitting off Anglesey

She is in the traffic separation lanes rounding Anglesey doing 5 knots

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:42:09 pm »

She is in the traffic separation lanes rounding Anglesey doing 5 knots

As I said allegedly  :-))

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 08:31:51 pm »

My local rag, says the association has gone to the high court to demand she is returned.

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 10:02:57 pm »

Been following this on Facebook.
The trust has raised enough money to pay for a well respected maritime lawyer who says he has verified they have a claim to full or part ownership of the vessel and the removal of it is unlawful.

There is also a report regarding a defect with the ship, as quoted from the trust:
When we had HMS Plymouth in preservation we disconnected the Starboard Prop shaft as a means to show the public her Turbine engine moving. The result of this is that while she is being towed her prop shaft will be rotating by wave action which will break the seal in her gland space allowing water to enter the ship slowly filling her from the stern. If it is not stopped she WILL sink.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 03:46:11 pm »

In the first photo, were the missiles still in place at deck level just before the main mast? - sea cats?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 07:59:12 pm »

In the first photo, were the missiles still in place at deck level just before the main mast? - sea cats?
There does appear to be a missile in the Seacat launcher but bound to be a dummy.  I think what you're referring to is one of the Corvus Chaff launchers.  They would just be empty tubes on the mounting.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 11:57:52 pm »

Guys...the GWS20 Seacat launcher on HMS Plymouth is above the stern quarterdeck......the orange dome on top centre is a primitive type of radar guidance assistance element.....

In the original image below 20th August...there does appear to be a dummy missile in the port aft pad location........and in the second image at sea, another dummy in the stdb aft pad.....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 01:34:18 pm »

I was looking at the section between the bridge and main mast on the first photo - next to the two white life raft casings, they were angles at about 30° from horizontal, you would have to ask why put a dummy in place on a decommissioned ship.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 02:23:12 pm »

I was looking at the section between the bridge and main mast on the first photo - next to the two white life raft casings, they were angles at about 30° from horizontal, you would have to ask why put a dummy in place on a decommissioned ship.
HMS Plymouth was open to the public at one point.  Dummy missiles were part of the display.  Below is a Knebworth/Corvus launcher

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 02:45:45 pm »

Chaff launcher forward of the foremast.
After mast is normally Main mast
Aint seen a mizzen on a type 12 %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 05:44:02 pm »

The tugs making good time , doing 7 knots just off Porto in Portugal . . . .
Type Amber 11 into the international A I S & it will show the course.
Bill

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 07:11:35 pm »

if shes off Portugal,I dont think she will be coming back any day soon!
Another part of History gone.I know we cant afford to keep them all, but we could do better,maybe just stopping one Armament,sorry AID payment to one poor country would have gone a long way to help.I am still miffed that we didnt keep just one Battleship from the 2nd World War.With hindsight we could have had our own Battleship Row,somewhere in one of our ports.What a Tourist magnet that would have been.
Mick F

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 07:28:50 pm »

if shes off Portugal,I dont think she will be coming back any day soon!
Another part of History gone.I know we cant afford to keep them all, but we could do better,maybe just stopping one Armament,sorry AID payment to one poor country would have gone a long way to help.I am still miffed that we didnt keep just one Battleship from the 2nd World War.With hindsight we could have had our own Battleship Row,somewhere in one of our ports.What a Tourist magnet that would have been.
Mick F
Got to agree with you , Plymouth was the last of her class / she'd fought for our country / people were killed in action aboard her / she saw the surrender of the Argentine forces in her wardroom and has been treated abominably since . . .
The same fate became the submarine H M S ONYX another Falklands vet', it's as tho' the politicians want to erase ANY evidence of the past . . .
I think the same thing will happen to H M S Bronington also in Birkenhead dock , it's been abandoned at the top end of the dock system by the look of it , only the mooring lines are keeping her upright, is she the last TON class all wood minesweeper ?
Bill

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 09:36:28 am »

There's till hope for her guys.

The company that sold her to the scrappers, it would seem, do not have ownership and the trust certainly have more of a claim. There's an awful lot going on in the background with many people helping the cause.

To my mind the only concerning thing that hasn't been address is IF it's proven in time that they don't have the right to sell the ship, will they be allowed to take it in lieu of berthing fees - although as no agreement or price for these was ever set this could be an even larger grey area.

Has anyone ever built an RC model of HMS Plymouth does anyone know?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.