Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Penlee lifeboat  (Read 1814 times)

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
Penlee lifeboat
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:16:40 am »

Just watched a documentary on youtube about the Penlee lifeboat disaster.

It is hard to even imagine the courage and selflessness of lifeboat crews and their families. This nation owes them a debt that can never be truly repaid.
God bless them all.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Penlee lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 12:13:13 pm »

this is one reason why we support the RNLI, from almost birth to death. :-)) :-))

As the newly appointed  Coxs'n of Caister Lifeboat said shortly after the tragic Caister disaster in November 1901 when asked by a newspaper man at the time, "why do you do the job"............

His reply was........... "WE HAVE TO GO OUT, we don't have to come back!!!"

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:23:41 pm »

Maybe a better way of putting it is 'we will always go out... We might not always make it back but by god we will do our best'

Declan

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 01:22:54 pm »

Watching the documentary made me realise that we tend to take for granted that when we get into a sticky situation help will arrive regardless and that we give little thought to the folks who are prepared to help.
The fact that the RNLI crews are volunteers prepared to risk life and limb for others is truly remarkable.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 05:42:26 pm »

The Solomon Browne tragedy was one of the very few times I saw my father cry. He and his crew were rescued from the Taycraig, wrecked on the Gear Rock in Mounts Bay in a storm on 27th January  1936. The Penlee boat was launched into the storm following reports of a 'ship on fire'. The fire was actually the Taycraig's crew burning a mattress on deck to attract attention. In order to get the crew off, the Cox put the lifeboat almost onto the deck of the Taycraig more than once. The Cox of the Solomon Browne would no doubt have been making similar efforts to rescue the crew of the Union Star.

Dad was rescued once more later in his career and these two events not surprisingly developed his lifelong respect for the men and boats of the RNLI. As Master of the tug Meeching, he later worked closely with all three of our local lifeboats on many occasions when ships got into difficulties in the Channel.

But for the Penlee boat and its crew, I would probably not be writing this. Unsurprisingly, the RNLI has always received my support and always will.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:41:26 pm »

and remember please,that these men are ordinary men(and now ladies too) who volunteer to do this job,in all weathers,and at any time.They do not look at themselves as Heroes,but everytime they put their lives at risk,to save others,they certainly are very courageous people.
I am proud to support them.
Mick F
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.