Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aspiring novice fast electric boat builder - Where to start?!?!  (Read 1760 times)

Pondracerwannabe

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Hi all,

I have always been intrigued by RC Boats - especially the power boats.  I would like to build my own fast electric power boat, preferably a deep v hull (I assume this would be the easiest start route).

I have absolutely no back ground in RC, common sense tells me to buy a cheap boat but part of the attraction and appeal for me is to build and assemble my own personal boat that is unique to me. 

My question to all you experienced boat builders is - Where does one start? Where would be the best place to find information about the requirements for starting one's own project?   Perhaps share with me how you started out?  And looking back what would you have done differently?

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Re: Aspiring novice fast electric boat builder - Where to start?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:00:15 pm »

You're in the best place up there in Norfolk...nip along to Eaton Park and have a chat to the lads in the Norwich Model Boat Club, they'll put you on the right track. Do a Google search for the club, then you'll know what days they sail fast electrics.

There's a couple of guys that are really into those things, or you can give any of the committee members a call.

One piece of advice...avoid buying cheap stuff to start with. Do it properly, build a proper boat...do it once and do it right.

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:06:28 pm »

A lot of the cheaper boats look good on the box pictures and appear to be capable of 100mph - problem is when you get them on the water, they don't actually go fast and you will be disappointed.

Talk to club members before you spend money - they may even have stuff to sell that could be better value.

Pondracerwannabe

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:40:38 pm »

You're in the best place up there in Norfolk...nip along to Eaton Park and have a chat to the lads in the Norwich Model Boat Club, they'll put you on the right track. Do a Google search for the club, then you'll know what days they sail fast electrics.

There's a couple of guys that are really into those things, or you can give any of the committee members a call.

One piece of advice...avoid buying cheap stuff to start with. Do it properly, build a proper boat...do it once and do it right.

Rich
  Thanks Rich,  I regularly walk past the Eaton Park lake/pond - seeing the boats zipping up and down on the lake is what sparked my interest.  I will be going down this Sunday again as I have been told there will be a race meeting for nitro boats.  So  I will definitely be having  chat with some of the guys.

Pondracerwannabe

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:43:22 pm »

A lot of the cheaper boats look good on the box pictures and appear to be capable of 100mph - problem is when you get them on the water, they don't actually go fast and you will be disappointed.

Talk to club members before you spend money - they may even have stuff to sell that could be better value.

Thats  a good tip, thank!  I will definitely have a chat first with some of the members before starting to spend money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.