Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amati Dorade Yacht  (Read 3041 times)

Jim_Hurley

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Amati Dorade Yacht
« on: August 29, 2014, 07:55:03 pm »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, I've been hanging out on the RC Groups sailboat forum, I have Canterbury J (CJ #503) build log there.
I'm interested in building the Amati Dorade Yacht from their kit and I'd like to RC it. I'm trying to find out more about the kit and whats needed to convert it and so far the only thing I can come up with is the name of a person, Doug, who has done this and has pictures on this site. If anybody had point me in the right direction to contact him I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm not a novice builder, but Ill never be confused with a master craftsman. I'd like to find out if I have the skill level to build the boat before I spend nearly $500 for one.
I live in Sequim (pronounce like swim only with a Q) Washington, which is on the North Olympic Peninsula. We have a nice pond here in a city park which has light to moderate winds. The light wind days should suit this boat well.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jim

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Amati Dorade Yacht
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:36:13 am »

Hi Jim.
 found a build of a Dorade on a forum a bit nearer home but you would have to enquire if he has fitted it out for RC.
 Its got an abs hull, thought their stuff was all Pof hulls.  The full keel may lend its self to internal lead shot ballast or a external bolt on.
 frank
http://www.shipmodelsocietyofnewjersey.org/barry-rudd.php
 Yacht Dorade with ABS Hull by Amati
A small ocean-going yacht, the Dorade was used for regatta racing in the early 1930's. An easy-to-build kit has a one-piece ABS plastic hull with laser cut wooden interior structure. The wood deck is covered with individual planking strips. A wealth of wood and brass fittings, photo-etched brass detailing, plus rigging line, Dacron sailcloth and wood masts. Four sheets of plans with illustrated instruction manual make building trouble-free. Experienced modelers can equip this fabulous model for radio control.

Entry Level • Amati Kit No. AM1605

Length 33-3/4" / Height 40-1/2" / Scale 1:20

Jim_Hurley

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »

Thank you Frank,
I've contacted the president of that club and he forwarded my question to Barry for me. I'm waiting for his answer.
I'd still like to know who Doug is that has pictures of his boat on the MBM forum. He has RC'd his according to the comments with the pictures.
I'm not sure why I didn't come across the site you referred me to, Google must have decided I needed your help.
Thanks again.
Jim

Jim_Hurley

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 06:30:14 pm »

I heard back from Barry, he liked the kit and and how the boat came out, but he didn't try to RC it. He only wanted it to be static model. He sent me some additional pictures and it is a beautiful boat.
I'm still trying to fine out who Doug might be, according to the MBM site with his pictures he RC'd it and sail it.
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.