Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hello from total novice  (Read 2011 times)

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
hello from total novice
« on: August 31, 2014, 03:50:21 pm »

Hi all
venturing into the world of radio controlled model boats. I have built plastic models on and off all my life (49 yrs). Built a hull for a model yacht using balsa wood. I have got plans for an Air-sea rescue launch. Building from scratch, I will be posting lots of questions as I go along. First question, do I use plywood for the hull.

cheers
carl.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: hello from total novice
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:59:50 pm »

Welcome to Mayhem Carl.  Looking forward to news on your build.  Please feel free to ask questions, that's what we like  O0
Ply is fine as long as it is sealed and waterproofed. I will let our woodworking experts give details.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »

yes Carl, Ply is probably the best covering.......but use the close grained Birch faced ply which uses water resistant ( not waterproof) glue to bond it........you can get this in either "lite" ply which is what it says, lighter than normal or the "normal birch faced ply......they both paint better than open grained stuff normally fro such places as B & Q.........you need to use about 4 - 6MM for the frames, and 1.8mm ply for the hull sides...........and then coat it inside the hull before putting the deck on with resin and glass matting to completely waterproof from leaking..........paint the outside with sanding sealer and then enamel or acrylic paints of your choice

inertia

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 05:25:55 pm »

Carl
Does the plan say what material you should use? Most plans do; some even have a "shopping list" of materials. I ask because you haven't said how big (or small) the model is. Less than about 24" long and liteply or balsa would be the best choice because of their light weight. More than that then you can start thinking about ply.
Dave M

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 05:33:10 pm »

Hi and welcome ,when skinning the hull check what thickness ply / balsa is needed.  If you change from the plan dimentions i.e. use 1 /16th. ply instead of 1/8th. balsa, for example,  then you should make the bulkheads bigger by the difference.  I have been building model poats for years and made that mistake just 2 years ago.  Easily overlooked.
Good luck,
Roy

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 06:26:12 pm »

hi all
 thanks for info, boat 28'' long, no shopping list, does mention 3/16th ply, which I believe is 6mm in metric and 1/16 for deck.

cheers
carl

inertia

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 07:31:17 pm »

does mention 3/16th ply, which I believe is 6mm in metric
Carl
First of many rules - "Don't believe - check". In this case 3/16" is near enough 4.5mm, while 1/16" ply is 1.6mm thick. There are rarely exact metric equivalents of imperial measurements when it comes to material sizes; you have to find the nearest.
DM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 1.119 seconds with 21 queries.