Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Abercrombie  (Read 10807 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Abercrombie
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 10:31:09 pm »

The General Wolfe and Abercrombie are similar in that they are Monitors, have single main turrets with two battleship sized guns and are very broad of beam but they are from different eras and generations.

The former was a Lord Clive class Monitor 'Gen2' mounting a Majestic class turret. The first to third generation designs Inc Abercrombie (i) Class, Lord Clive Class and Marshall Ney class suffered from being under powered and with poorly designed hull lines making them frankly from poor to ridiculous sailers, with Ney being largely inneffective due to her MAN Engine being just plain bonkers. It ran perfectly for hours while on the test bed and later while tied up. But as soon as she took to sea, it played all sorts of merry havoc!!!!

With Erebus and Terror, the hulls were better designed and their power plants could deliver a reasonable power.

Bob's Abercrombie (ii) is a WW2 build with up to date weaponry and reasonable speed for a monitor:O)

One thing I recall reading is that the earlier monitors would be canted over by flooding to gain extra elevation for the main guns as the old Majestic's guns were not that long rannged. I don't know it they did this with Abercrombie but have you considered fitting floodable ballast tanks Bob?
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 07:50:18 am »

. . but have you considered fitting floodable ballast tanks Bob?

Now that's a technical enhancement I have spent more than enough time dabbling with on Polyphemus.
Frankly, if you wanted to create some list it would be far easier (and safer) to fit a rack and pinion moving main battery base.
However, the class did have a reasonable elevation for bombardment, with a range of 16 miles. You can see one of HMS Roberts main guns (originally from the battleship Resolution) outside the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth.
Abercrombie had a predilection for hitting mines, twice.  The second occasion when my wife's father was serving on her in the Med'.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 08:03:31 pm »

I didn't think of that! Ta for the hint Bob. Regarding mines, Monitors were about the most mine and torpedo proof vessels going as you will read in the Buxton book:O)

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 02:49:45 pm »

HMS Abercrombie

Hull

Despite a prospect of a fiberglass hull in September I have decided to construct my own as a 7 or 8 month wait for an unknown entity is too long.  However, I will make a point of using etched stanchions and propriety bollards to avoid being labelled with “The art of model making” associations.  Model making is very much alive in all its facets, and I appreciate all of them. 

Below is the shape to be reproduced.  Yes, it is a 1/350  KIT, being used as a 1/3.6  shipwrights model to scale from, and to mark out the section positions on.

The majority of the hull length will be as a plywood box (see below), with overhanging keel plate to affix bulge ribs to.  Bow and stern to be conventional rib and stringer.  Methodology could end up a bit controversial, like using balsa blocks in some areas to aid curve formation.  I will probably improvise and adapt as I go.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 09:46:29 pm »

It looks like a managable shape Bob. It is a bit more complicated than the Abercromies (i) and Lord Clives, but nowhere near as convoluted as a submarine hull.

Have you read the entire Buxton book yet, or have you been disciplined and just concentrated on the bit about the Abercrombie that you are building? I found it to be quite a good read.

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 10:21:44 pm »

Have you read the entire Buxton book yet, or have you been disciplined and just concentrated on the bit about the Abercrombie that you are building? I found it to be quite a good read.

Because of the tiny font size I am reading it a bit at a time, sliding it around under the magnifier lamp on my workbench.  I might even get the Kindle edition as well as you can enlarge the text size of that, and save the hard copy for the high res' photos.  The Kindle version has the photos too, but are not so easy to individually locate or reproduce.

I am to complete my researches before cutting wood.  I agree it does look a manageable shape now I have worked out a methodology to construct it. 

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 07:20:10 am »

Gets the popcorn, sits down and makes himself comfortable - this is going to be good! %%
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.