Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denny test tank  (Read 1460 times)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Denny test tank
« on: September 05, 2014, 12:39:43 am »

I was in Glasgow on Thursday at Ross Hall hospital going to get a hip joint job done ,surgeon told me it was 90% successful , other 10% all sorts of glitches .I hope it's ok . Any way so I had not had a trip from Aberdeen to Glasgow with overnight stay and about an hour in the hospital , Ihad a ride along Clydebank to Dumbarton to the Denny  Test Tank museum ,it was excelant the room where thy made the test props was fascinating all made to scale to match the hulls under test also the rudder development . Hulls first made of clay ,then wax then put on a bed and the wax cut of with a machine that was driven by line shafts,  following a lines drawing . The girls were the ones tha did the tracing from the draughtsmens drawing because thy were neater .
If you have not been already it is worth a visit ,the sense of shipbuilding history and what has go on in that test tank. And a lot of it before electricity or computers ,a lot of clever men and women working there.
The tank was not working ,on inquiring I was told if a group vist was organised it could be up and running . All the same it was a good find ,

David

Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Denny test tank
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:21:32 am »

Good luck with the 10%
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:08:47 am »

I was in Glasgow on Thursday at Ross Hall hospital going to get a hip joint job done ,surgeon told me it was 90% successful , other 10% all sorts of glitches .I hope it's ok . Any way so I had not had a trip from Aberdeen to Glasgow with overnight stay and about an hour in the hospital , Ihad a ride along Clydebank to Dumbarton to the Denny  Test Tank museum ,it was excelant the room where thy made the test props was fascinating all made to scale to match the hulls under test also the rudder development . Hulls first made of clay ,then wax then put on a bed and the wax cut of with a machine that was driven by line shafts,  following a lines drawing . The girls were the ones tha did the tracing from the draughtsmens drawing because thy were neater .
If you have not been already it is worth a visit ,the sense of shipbuilding history and what has go on in that test tank. And a lot of it before electricity or computers ,a lot of clever men and women working there.
The tank was not working ,on inquiring I was told if a group vist was organised it could be up and running . All the same it was a good find ,

David

I'll concur with that david...........went a few years back and was fascinated by the whole process, especially how they now make the models ( or did) out of wax, where everything was reusable........but would have loved to have got my hands on a few of the old wooden and clay hulls for a few grp moulds, lol...........even suggested it to the guy that was showing me round...........didn't seem to see the funny side of it though, lol...........

well worth a visit if you are up in the area

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:30:58 pm »

you see some test tank hulls on e/bay...a bit on the big side...ex rn or vosper I think tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.