Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The joys (?) of motoring...  (Read 6923 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
The joys (?) of motoring...
« on: September 02, 2014, 01:58:28 pm »

Having not driven for over two years, I decided it was time I was mobile again, so I bought myself a nice little car so as I can get to to go sailing again, do my own shopping, take the ladyfriend out now and again, that sort of thing.   ;D

Collected it yesterday, went down to the local garage today to get some petrol...gawd, that frightened the life out of me! Half a tank of unleaded...nearly £40? I was going to collect the ladyfriend and go down the lake thisarvo, maybe treat her to a pub lunch as well. I can't afford to now...forty quid for half a tank of petrol?  >>:-(

I feel sick... {:-{

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The joys (?) of motoring...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »

You'll feel even worse when you work out how much of that £40 has gone straight to government funds.
Bintur Ellenbach

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:17:53 pm »

Don't make me feel even more sick...I'm just glad that common sense prevailed and I bought my Nissan, and not the blown 454cu in Dodge Challenger that I really wanted. That would have cost me £40 just to start the thing...

Rich
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:19:15 pm »

And it's coming down a bit as well - you should have kept an eye on the amount, money wise, you were putting in, then you would have had enough to do all those things as well; but, they do say that all the best things in life are free - to a point.  ;D

LB

inertia

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 02:35:19 pm »

Uggett
Who was paying for your petrol 2 years ago, dude? According to this table it's 6p/litre cheaper now than it was in August 2012. I suppose we should feel grateful to somebody for that, but that would introduce politics into the equation (and we don't do politics, do we, Ken?). http://www.petrolprices.com/the-price-of-fuel.html
DM
(And about 60% of what you paid is Fuel Duty and VAT - there goes a decent pub lunch for two.......).

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 03:04:17 pm »

Back then the council were heavily donating towards my fuel expenses (although they didn't realise it), plus there was always plenty of ''business'' to be done, cash in hand, of course... ;D , and before I worked for the council, Pickfords donated to my petrol costs (again, they didn't realise it), so eleven to the gallon was no problem.

Now I'm a poor old pensioner ( <:( ) so every penny counts. She'll have to put up with a packet of crisps and glass of water...half full.

Rich
Rich

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 03:37:53 pm »

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, but, by your own admission, you had your fuel subsidised, possibly illegally and/or by deceipt, by tax payers and others for what appears to be a significant length of time.

The very great majority of motorists have never and may never be in the position to receive fuel subsidies and carry the full cost of motoring out of their own pocket. If they cant afford it, they don't buy it.

I am afraid that my sympathy for a poor pensioner (and I acknowledge the state pension is woefully inadequate), complaining about fuel costs after free loading from tax payers and others has flown out of the window.

Welcome to the real world.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »

Free petrol from the council (tax payers pay for that ) AND Pickfords ( Pickfords customers pay for that ).......oh my heart bleeds for you!!!!! Welcome to the real world.
                                          Dave.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 04:32:15 pm »

When I was at college I worked part time in a petrol station.  This was in the pre self-serve days.
Customers would come in and ask me to put four gallons in, give me a pound, and said keep the change.
When the price of a Gallon went up from 4 shillings and ninepence to five shillings the tips part of my earnings suddenly disappeared. 
If only we could get 15 Litres for a Quid now  %%
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 04:55:36 pm »

LPG is the only way to go for inexpensive fuel these days- about 66 pence a litre.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 05:03:33 pm »

Seems as though I've ruffled a few feathers here, so I shall try and explain...

My subsidised fuel was the result of me working extra hours, finding a return load off my own back, and generally getting off my ass and earning my money. Maybe the companies I worked for did lose out here and there, but I'd bet my last penny that ninety nine per cent of truckers wouldn't say no to earning a few quid over and above their wages. Maybe it was slightly naughty, but again, how many of you guys can honestly say you've never added a mile here and there onto your fuel expense sheets? Or maybe added a pound here and there to your overnight parking charges or your hotel bills? Or stuck an hour onto a job sheet?

In my world, we earned as much as we possibly could wherever and whenever we could...there was always a little job that could be done for a few quid in the pocket. We all knew it could never be classed as regular income, and often we knew it wouldn't (or couldn't) last, so the old saying applied...''make hay whilst the sun shines''.  I've worked for companies where the management were as much into making a few quid extra as we were, and I've often done a little job on the side for managers when asked to do so...would you turn down the chance for a few bob in your pocket for a few hours work?  Of course you wouldn't...money was as hard to come by back then as it is now, and if there was a chance of some coming my way, then I was always in the line.

An extra few bob in the pocket helped pay for my petrol when I used to run big fast cars, but I worked for every penny of it. If there was an hour or two added to my weekly time sheets, then they were worked for, not just stuck on for good measure.
So when you were tucked up in a nice warm bed at night, I and many like me were out there in all weathers earning our little bit extra as best we could.

Rich
Rich

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 05:34:55 pm »

Well said Rich, I've done similar and now as a pensioner I cringe every time I pull up to the pumps, I bet Cameron doesn't   >:-o

Joe

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 05:47:25 pm »

Hmm bit of backtracking going on here......

All I can say to that is the culture you worked under in no way reflects the great majority of work places
In my experience adding an hour or two to time sheets was instant dismissal.

Be careful who you preach to about long hard hours overnight,  moderated

Been there done that got the t shirt.
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 06:00:34 pm »

I'm not going to argue points any longer...I worked damn hard for my money, and I have no guilty conscience about how how I got it.

End of story.

Rich
Rich

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 06:09:42 pm »

Now I'm a poor old pensioner ( <:( ) so every penny counts. She'll have to put up with a packet of crisps and glass of water...half full.

Rich

Is your water on a meter to rich.  {-) {-)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 06:15:29 pm »

Not at the moment...although there was a letter floating about a while back about our four blocks of flats being changed over. So far, nothing more heard...

We shared a half a glass of water, but we did have a straw each.   ;D

Rich
Rich

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 06:50:52 pm »

<*< The throw away society,you work for fifty years pay your taxes serve your country,retire and become a pensioner and all of a sudden you are burden on society and the poor soul who have to rely on the state pension are classed as scroungers( forgetting that they paid for pension in their N.I.and taxes) luckily I am not in that position,what a sad place we are when we can't look after our old and infirm,can someone tell me what my dad who died a young man of his wounds bothered, so the disabled get a few litres of petrol it's ok with me, I don't mind paying a bit more tax to make these people lives a little better,sorry about the rant lads but something I fell strongly about, there is a lot of old guys at the boats clubs who rely on a few state benefits  to get them to the lake and gives them some enjoyment and hopefully keep them plodding on a little longer,god bless them all,happy sailing everybody and the weather looks fine for Sunday,Ray. <*< <*< <*<             
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
  • roll on mayhem at wicksteed 2016 !
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 07:43:47 pm »

moan moan moan thats all we hear off u-33 lol  ....get ya backside and your new hotrod down to west wales some time . ill put ya up for the night ..

lets just hope this one floats !!
fire at will ! ... which one is will ?

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 07:47:06 pm »

You might well have a lodger there, Tinkabell...I haven't been to Welsh Wales in years, so I may well take you up on that.

Rich
Rich

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 07:48:24 pm »

You might well have a lodger there, Tinkabell...I haven't been to Welsh Wales in years, so I may well take you up on that.

Rich
your welcome any time boyo .... ill let ya have the static caravan im my old girls garden ... and for that matter . any other moddeler whod like a trip down here

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 07:50:57 pm »

You're a star, my little Tinkabell...a true star. I shall look forward to that...I 'spose the beers are on me   :embarrassed:

Rich
Rich

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 08:36:47 pm »

Ian,
Spent a few years over the bridge in Pembroke Dock.
Used to dock at the ammo depot and walk over the hill to Milford?
Is the pub by the old fish dock still there?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 08:37:32 pm »

Ha ha. You know me too well

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 08:38:50 pm »

Ian,
Spent a few years over the bridge in Pembroke Dock.
Used to dock at the ammo depot and walk over the hill to Milford?
Is the pub by the old fish dock still there?

Bob
bob there's a few. More than likely  the heart of the oak

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 08:26:24 am »

Do all your shopping at Tesco or Morrisons. Save up your points and get the petrol cheaper.

I filled my car up yesterday. £114! thankfully I had enough points on the old clubcard to bring it down by 12p a litre which does help soften the blow a bit.

There's only one way of looking at it, the price of petrol makes everything else in motoring seem cheap. For most cars you can get a new Tyre fitted and balanced for less than the cost of a tank of fuel now. You need messed up logic like that to be able to justify it sometimes!

My car had it's tax due for this month, another £500 gone, and I collected it from the garage yesterday after having the suspension arms replaced and a 4 wheel alignment £1166 lighter.

Motoring isn't cheap anymore - but then again, nothing is!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.