Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:32 E Class Submarine  (Read 14314 times)

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
1:32 E Class Submarine
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:42:56 pm »

Started doing couple of bits on this at moment quick repair and re spray just need to make WTC anyone have rough idea volume of water required to take her down?

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
Re: 1:32 E Class Submarine
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:17:53 pm »

I know just the fellow you want to speak to. He has a working model of this boat with a commercial wtc module inside and willing to listen to sensible offers.The wtc spares would require 120mm tube, tie rods, pump & motor(s) to complete.

I'll put you in touch.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:29:11 am »

Hi Tomp. Another project on the go now? Your wife must love you to bits!
Cheers Tomp.
Phil
Devon

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:16:38 am »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBMARINE-DIVE-UNIT-ACRYLIC-CUSTOM-MADE-28-LONG-4-3-4-DIAMETER-LOADED-/281427490945?
28" long and wall thickness is 3mm.

BTW The auction ends Sunday 7 Sept 2014 and the above link will work for only 3 months
I don't know if you turned this one down or it was not on offer but my unit has a 7" tank minus 1/2" thickness of the bulkheads. The probes are 1" down from the top so basic trig gives you the volume with a margin to spare.

< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 09:51:41 am »

I saw that WTC is it me or does the ballast section look quite small compared to the WTC size?

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 01:27:53 pm »

Hi Tomp. Another project on the go now? Your wife must love you to bits!
Cheers Tomp.
Phil
Devon

Hi Phil, hope you are well, yeah well I did sell my motorbike and put a new kitchen in for her so think she is happy at the moment. I have had this for a while been sat in garage just fancied working on summit different for a while. Just waiting for the chance to get a lathe so can do a few things for the other 2 plus make up a WTC 

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:57:14 pm »

The module Mike linked to is a Craycraft unit based on Nick Burges design. It uses an air compressor rigged as a vacuum pump to suck air out of the cylinder and is stored in the front section at about 6-7psi. The tank can fill to about 90% because there are probes inside that sense the water level, so the pump doesn't ingest water. To surface a servo controlled air valve releases the compressed air back into the ballast tank, and up you come.

These modules cost over £400 twenty years ago, so they weren't cheap by any means. The compressor was a bespoke item, which ratcheted up the cost. The system works well enough, and is quite efficient as you're only moving air about.

One or two minuses, firstly if you like to dive deep, you should be aware that with the bottom of the tank exposed to water pressure, the air bubble in the top of the tank will compress and gradually the boat will get heavier and lose its trim. This tends to only be an issue if you go beyond three or four feet, but it's worth being aware of.

Secondly if you go beyond 15 feet you can't blow the tank as there is insufficient pressure. This happened to a modeller once who was operating in a pond at Legoland. The pond there goes down to 20 feet apparently, and he ended up needing his boat scraping off the bottom.

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:43 pm »

I spoke to Mike today great chap really really helpful he explained about that WTC on ebay and about how the system works and the probes etc that WTC was designed to go in the E class hull I have that's why he pointed it out, it's a bit expensive and personally I like a pump like the OTW and Sheerline WTC's. I have got through work a 12v geared pump that is reversible, 1150ml a minute but best thing for me it's IP68 so will be putting it in the centre part of the WTC to save room and has a low current draw brushless as well just got to ensure don't run it dry

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:17 pm »

Pump rate sounds a bit slow.

Craycraft used to make the WTC's for OTW back in its early incarnation. When Brian Cornelius stopped production there was a few years where OTW didn't supply WTC's for their models, after a time the pump based modules appeared, which share a little in common with the older modules in that the air is still compressed inside the dry spaces, although as they have a check valve, you don't have the problem of the air bubble compressing, and altering your trim.

There is always the option of fitting a kingston valve on the bottom of the WTC, however I have never seen this done to date.

Akula971

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 11:34:53 am »

Is the hull scratch built? If not is it still made? I'm interested in getting one.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 11:50:29 am »

Dave Diplock produced them years ago. They're long out of production (at least 15 years), although I suspect the tools are kicking around somewhere.

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 08:44:28 pm »

Finally all my construction works at home are done and I can start on the subs again. Been working on the E class after getting a decent drawing of it so plane guards have been started and moved the planes to the location shown on the drawing. Had a bit of a problem though one of the front planes has been broken so having to take a mold of the other to cast another in resin.

UnbuiltEClass

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 12:50:39 am »

Hi,

I do have a soft spot for anything First World War. Normally the first Tanks/Landships... but also early Subs. In my house is another unbuilt Craycraft E Class set of mouldings, I got as far as altering the Conning Tower to Royal Navy shape, but that was it.

Are you going to be building yours as the Australian subs AE1 &2 that the mouldings are based on?

Searching around the internet I have gathered all sorts of information, if there is anything you need more info on then just ask.

UnbuiltEClass

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:26 am »

A few more...

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 03:45:26 pm »

Hi,

I do have a soft spot for anything First World War. Normally the first Tanks/Landships... but also early Subs. In my house is another unbuilt Craycraft E Class set of mouldings, I got as far as altering the Conning Tower to Royal Navy shape, but that was it.

Are you going to be building yours as the Australian subs AE1 &2 that the mouldings are based on?

Searching around the internet I have gathered all sorts of information, if there is anything you need more info on then just ask.

Yeah they are quite interesting and you don't see many of them about. To be honest I'm finding it a bit of a mixture of things, the length would suggest group 1 but then the upper casing is more like group 2. I have seen different types of plane guards some wire some a more solid plane so just going to make kind of represent the class of submarine nothing specific. Does yours have a set of plane guards?

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 04:11:59 pm »

Where do you find these things Tomp? I would love to have a project like that. That would keep my old grey matter going for sure! Keep at it :-)) Regards to you. Phil

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 06:18:44 pm »

Hi Phil, found this on here some time back now finally getting some more time to work on the subs. I like things a bit different but this isn't really from the era I'm interested in but nice sub and much smaller than my other two

UnbuiltEClass

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 12:26:28 am »

Yes I have the original resin fittings set, I will try and photograph them for you.

Useful link [size=78%]http://www.rnsubs.co.uk/Boats/BR3043/chapter04.php[/size]

UnbuiltEClass

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 09:08:21 pm »

Hi, I had a look at what was with the model and there wasn't a great deal to be honest. I have photographed what I have. The background is a 10cm square I made when researching for a Tank project.

UnbuiltEClass

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 09:13:28 pm »

The last time I looked at the model I did some conversion work to make it more a standard shape. I really should get back to it.

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 10:09:40 pm »

Hi Unbuilt thank you for the pictures appreciate it. I am hoping to get this running for the Bournville dive in day on September 19th surface runner only though. Fingers crossed should be able to. Like what you have done not much planned on changing things on this maybe later cheers Tom

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 09:16:26 am »

The last time I looked at the model I did some conversion work to make it more a standard shape. I really should get back to it.

Come on, get on with it...too many slow sub builders on here %)

( that's me by the way..to whom I refer!)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 09:32:51 am »

Come on, get on with it...too many slow sub builders on here %)

( that's me by the way..to whom I refer!)

Yep...  %)
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 11:47:39 am »

UBN, that made me laugh :-)) I think I must be the slowest on here! I still enjoy it though. Cheers all.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 03:23:12 pm »

Tom, did you ever finish the o class and the s class??

I had to came to a stop on my S class but getting a wee push again into it

As well as a few other things  %) %)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.