Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterproof radio boxes.  (Read 7460 times)

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
Waterproof radio boxes.
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:15:37 pm »

Hi all

Just wanted to share experience of the new black plastic radio boxes, widely available from many marine boat suppliers.

I find they are very good but with one weakness. The new ones are supplied with a Daglo green silicone double core solid tube which is a one piece inlay onto the top of the radio box.

When the screws (purple cnc 8) are tightened down, I have noticed the silicon seal is quite hard so to get a good watertight seal you need to tighten down the screws a good bit. I have found this has cracked the radio box and also the lid on a different boat.

I have now replaced the green silicone seal with a much more compressible neophrene closed pore cylindrical foam. It costs just £1 per meter and should make a completely watertight seal without stressing the plastic radio box or the Perspex lid. It reverts to original form once lid is released and should be attached with a micro fillet of cyano.

Has any one else experienced a similar issue???? I only noticed recently when testing a new boat which overturned and had water in the radio box. The box was cracked where the bolts were tightened down, allowing water ingress.

Hope the above makes sense!

Regards

Garry

Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
Re: Waterproof radio boxes.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:20:33 am »

all mine have leaked.cracked etc etc.i also have used neoprene but have placed it around the lid which then compresses onto the green seal  no more leaks on my drag cat which as most of you know does spend abit of time the wrong way up on the water  {-) {-) {-)
will be doing the same to the others in time :-))
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:10:53 am »

'scuse me for venturing onto these hallowed pages, guys, but where do you get these boxes from? Are they the same ones that Prestwich Models sell?

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:40:47 am »

rich yep prestwich sells its these

http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/wnewvboxpe7.jpg

ive found similar that the lid cracks easy perhaps washers under the screw would help  !

as for the seal leaking does that mean you dunked ya boat garry lol

BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:09:21 am »

Thanks chap...might investigate one of those.

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 06:11:25 pm »

What about using those plastic Food containers with clip shut lids?.

Len.

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:15:47 pm »

Thanks for the comments all.
The box in question was not bought from PMC.

I actually like these boxes as they are east to install, can be made easy to remove and transfer to another boat (I did this with my Cat upgrade) and providing the weakness of the seal material is addressed, make a good water tight box, in my opinion.

Yes Mark the Saturn did get an almighty DUNKING! This will make you smile, it was on its maiden voyage, when my Brother had a go! He lasted just 10 seconds and swore expletives, vowing never to drive it again!!!!!

Craig isn't use to the ballistic fun of the Big GASSERS!!!! LOL!!!!! I respectfully advised he kept with the safe and steady (but enjoyable!) A and AA classes!!!!!!

Briggy
Best regards

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 06:17:00 pm »

I know of a few people who use them. They seem to work ok but can be a bit of a "bodge job" from some of the ones Ive seen!!!

Best regards

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 08:03:06 pm »

An excellent and thought provoking topic Garry :-))

These plastic boxes have come a long way recently in terms of refinement and the quality of the fittings included. They are inexpensive and save a lot of hard work with the advantage of being easily replaceable etc. However it seems to me from the previous comments that these boxes still have too many issues resulting in potential water ingress which scuppers the running of the boat. Those with dual seals are compromised due to the fact that lid bolts go between the inner and outer seal, such that in a dunk situation water will flow into the mid section (through the bolt holes)  leaving only the inner seal to keep water out.

For me personally I will now always stick to the old fashioned way... by making a bespoke radio box. Okay, it takes ages to do a good job and longer than most would have patience for ;D

But the advantages pay dividends I think. The advantages are:

1) You can have the box exactly where you want it.
2) No need to worry about plastic splitting.
3) You can make it big for extra boat buoyancy.
4) Make the flange strong and it won't twist when you tighten the lid down.
5) Use a Polycarb lid, instead of perspex with plenty of bolts and you have a tightly clamped  fit without the risk of (perspex) fracturing.

My Crusader boat at Stevenage this year  flipped over 3 times in one race and was submerged for good while in the process. When I got the boat home it had not a single drop of water in the radio box.

These two images show how that box was done: I realise that few folks would mess about like I do on such things {:-{  It explains why it takes me for ever to build a new boat :}

Food for thought?

Craig :-))

Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 08:13:44 pm »

Hi Craig. Yes agreed, "horses for courses" as they say.

I know you spend an age on building your boats, typically 6-24 months making sure every item functions to perfection. That is why your boats are technicality so reliable!

As for me, I have neither the patience, time or inclination to perfect such a great build. My time scale is 4-6 weeks max!!!! And that's panning it out!!! Lol!

The great thing about our hobby is that it takes in all levels of talent! From me the rushing bodger to you the steady eddy perfectionist!!!!

Regards

Briggy

Best regards

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 08:24:30 pm »

Hi Garry
You summed things up nicely :-))
And for further food for thought, this image shows the top flange of my current build. This time I have used marine ply wood. The brass bolts soldered into individual brass plates and epoxied to the plywood will ensure that the bolts can not twist when the lid nuts are tightened down, and it should ensure zero risk of water entering those holes through the wooden top flange.

Hey I realise and accept the most people would not have the patience to do things the way I do ;)
For me though, I get as much pleasure in the build process as I do running the boats :-)
Craig

[/size]

Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 08:27:49 pm »

Well said Craig!!! :-))
Don't forget to enjoy building this bomb proof Boat and remember it is to be raced by your good lady wife!!!!!! (Not you!!!! Lol)!
Best regards

ids987

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 01:15:07 pm »

I think a well made / home made box is hard to beat, and sometimes the only way (customising for space available, shape, fitting into vee etc). Practicalities (dreaded time constraints) often dictate otherwise where an off the shelf box will work though.
In terms of lids cracking, the lid material is important too. Perspex or similar material will crack much more easily than polycarbonate. Give of the seal is significant, because if the seal starts to degrade, and you tighten the lid more, it bends more, and sometimes makes matters worse. Good closed cell foam does work well. If you use foam which comes in sheets (eg a camping mat), you can cut the seal in one piece, but with a lot of waste; unless you've got a slightly smaller radio box as well..

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 10:06:05 pm »

Yes agreed home made is best.

On the seals. I am specifically recommending replacing the one piece Daglo green silicon  type one piece seal  which joins the two inner and outer two 4mm tubes, with two lengths of 4mm dia neophrene closed cell compressible cord.

Probably not made my thread very clear, will add a photo later to make it more obvious.

Sorry for any confusion.

Briggy
Best regards

ids987

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 10:53:19 pm »

Apologies for going off topic. Too late to edit now or I'd delete the content of my post.

Ian

MPM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • MillPond Models
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 10:31:07 am »

Good Morning Guys,

These boxes are changing everytime i put an order into the factory.
The newest batch are the best ones ive seen so far with a change in the box and lid.

Updates to date in last batch.
  • The perspex lid has got thicker to allow an even spread on the seal.
  • The Nuts for the lid have been set into the box
  • The Box bottom has got a chamfer on either side to allow the box to go further in the hull.
  • Carbon look servo plate.
The older lids use to be 3mm thick... We are going on for 5mm know.

Personally i think they are the best box on the market.

Jack
www.millpondmodels.co.uk

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.