Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: FISHERIES RESEARCH VESSEL SCOTIA  (Read 83049 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: FISHERIES RESEARCH VESSEL SCOTIA
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 11:57:54 pm »

As a precaution I resined the back of the plasticard to the hull incase the glue didn't hold  up.

That's a great idea - I'll add that one to the old notebook :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2014, 09:12:03 am »

Cheers Ray

But I am not happy with the anchors or the openings for them. The area the anchor sit in is recessed. So its a strip job.   {:-{

I'll switch to wood construction for  anchors and recess.  :} The anchors are broader too. 

All good fun eh !!!

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2014, 09:33:45 am »

Manage to get the plasticard off  inside the hull by cutting into the tissue just in time before the resin cured. Will sand the hull inside round this area as it is uneven. Put a chamfer on the outer edges of the anchor cutout and build the recessed part that the anchor sits in  But I'll wait till after Xmas and the new year celebrations. All the best in 2015 to all.

martin

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2015, 03:55:02 pm »

Not sure if you have managed to fit in your expedition to photograph the ship. Lachie Stewart shot albums of photographs of the ship while under construction at Fergusons. I have scanned a first batch and uploaded them to Photobucket. Following your build with interest.

Andy

See

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49862.0.html

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:19 pm »

Andy
Cheers great picture to add to ones I have for further reference . Many thanks  :-))

Keep them coming as I have areas that I didn't manage to photograph. haven't sorted mine yet.

Just finished doing the anchor and recess in wood this time. Taking me a while to get back into it.

Have been talking with Bluebird about the best way to build decks to gain entry to all the running gear, Looks like the slipway and the 2 castles will be glued to the hull making it water tight at the aft end. With the rest of the deck with cabins removable

Martin

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2015, 03:32:47 pm »

The anchors recess I built them on a black plate rather than do a recess and glue them in later. This time there in wood.

pic 1 starting the build on a backplate of plywood
pic 2 the box section in which the anchor sit in
pic 3 the inside section finished and  squares of wood  glued around outer edge of backplate to fit  neatly to the shape of the  anchor hole cut in the hull
pic 4,5  Looks about right port  and starboard sides
pic  6  Bit messy but a little resin and tissue applied to the inside. Just in case the pop off as it would be a hard job refitting them with the deck glue in position to top of the breast plate

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2015, 01:47:10 pm »

I have resined and fiberglassed  the main deck supports and the breast hook as I've done with the anchors. It would be a tricky job to repair these if they popped off.

pic 1 Basic template cut roughly out
pic 2 Template in model and to get a perfect fit I add further piece of card slide up slight against all sides then taped. As you can see half way through the job
pic 3 From the finished template the ply deck is cut out and with a little  trimming here an there to fit.
pic 4 You seem this before but this is the completed template to the correct size and shape. The ply deck will be cut from this later tonight.
pic 5  The fiberglass strips  supporting the  deck supports

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2015, 05:32:27 pm »

Building the slipway which will be glued in position and  to the underneath of the deck and sealed with resin and f/b. This part of the model will have a cut across  the deck from port to starboard just in front of the castles and will be glued permanently in position. The rest of this deck will be removal  to get into the running gear. 

pic 1 taking a tracing from the plan to get an idea of the angle and length of slipway.
pic 2 offered card to the opening of the slipway to get width.
pic 3 the two sides made from card.
pic 4 card mockup offered into position slight adjustment to the height at the far deck bearer.
pic 5 from the mockup a wooden slipway is offered into position.
pic 6 checking the deck and top of slipway touch each other ready for gluing. Deck isn't fully resting on the bearers but its a neat fit.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2015, 05:34:36 pm »

Ply cut out from template of the main deck. A little hold up here as there is a slight measurement discrepancy. Tricky midships with different deck levels. back to the plans   

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2015, 03:30:26 pm »

Should have noticed these areas when I was doing the bow bulwark.  They're the inside of the bulwarks and the rough surfaces will be seen. So I gave them a coat of P38 and rubbed the areas smooth. Just a little here and there might be needed now. I'll finish off with Deluxe Material's Plastic Putty. At the same time I removed the port deck bearers and lined them up better.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2015, 04:24:03 pm »

Work in progress is to strengthen the aft work deck. I used some old, clean and straight  B & Q strips that were lying around. ( size is a bit an over kill )

pics 1 and  2

Mark out the aft rubbing strips and glued 1mm square evergreen plastic in place.

pics 3, 4, 5. 

Slipway is still ongoing haven't really decided on which way to get into running gear. I will have to shorten the the slipway to have room for the swing of the rudder arm  and be able to get to the screw securing arm to rudder shaft on/ off.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2015, 07:09:56 pm »

Pic 1 Decided to go this way by cutting out a section over the top of the slipway to get good access into gear and remove deck completely for repairs off boat
Pic 2 The part  that was cut out was glued to the top of the slipway to bring it up to the same level as the aft deck. Notice the slipway has been made shorter so it won't foul the rudder arm swing.
Pic 3 Cut out a template of the slipway bulwarks to length. Can't find a way to the height of it but took a guess measuring a picture I have got.
Pic 4 Template in position and looks good.
Pic 5 Cutting out parts from template
Pic 6 Parts built and put into position. The square wood is to be the safety gate that slides up and down.
Pic 7 Starting to take shape. Round of plastic glued to wood to look like a roller. More to do here 

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2015, 08:06:06 pm »

There isn't any deck where you've just glued onto , its a ramp up onto the deck and the storm gate come up vertically from the top of the ramp
Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2015, 08:11:32 pm »

Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2015, 08:16:21 pm »

That shows the storm gate in the up position with the roller on top vertical to the deck not horizontal
Davie Tait,
Scotland

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2015, 08:36:39 pm »

It has the option of a deck above the ramp Davie, look at your last picture, never saw that before but it links in with the plans of a Hydraulic Bouy plate, in line with the stern scuppers

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2015, 09:17:56 pm »

its never covered at sea would be far too dangerous for sea slamming up the ramp , I never saw it moved ( paint was never cracked ) and if it was used only once a year max as there was only a single short 7 day trip to recover deep tidal buoys and put new ones back
Davie Tait,
Scotland

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2015, 10:08:36 pm »

Didnt even know it was there Davie ,always thought it was just the straight ramp

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2015, 10:11:21 pm »

I knew the gate was there but in the time I was on her the paint was never touched around it so it had never been used at all
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2015, 09:27:54 am »

Hi Davie, wbeedie   
I knew it wasn't a deck in there as it has to be movable for the slipway to be used. But most photos I seen of her and the photo of the stern including the one I took while she was in Aberdeen has the gate up and say a platform of sort in position.( I think the gate  needs attention). I was happy to fit this part and the gate in the up position because when reversing the model water would rush in up  the slipway and this would stop at least some of the flow  I think this was mentioned somewhere on the thread. Although its no in line with the scuppers this is because I never notice the deck area under the port castle is raised.

See pics

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2015, 09:32:20 am »

I knew the gate was there, having seen a following sea while taking the net aboard or shooting, saw how much water came aboard up the ramp, enough to put a man on his backside and begin a slide up then back with water, we had to wear life jackets for that reason, it was the hydraulic plate for the bouys I never knew about though

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2015, 10:02:22 am »

Not happy at the slipway top not in line with the scuppers. But it looks right with the plan and an other Scotia model.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2015, 06:59:07 pm »

Just messed about this weekend trying to get this mid deck correct, as most pictures of models have witches in this area. I'll probably make a ply copy of it and put it to the side. I want to get on with the hull for a spraying up.
 The on going problem of deck(s) removal to get to the running gear is still waiting to be sorted.  {:-{

Pic 1 Tracing of the plan
pic 2 First cut out on card.
pic 3 Final trim  and shaped step up

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2015, 11:06:52 am »

pic 1,2  I've had a relook at the back of the model and did some rework. The bulwark where the trawl door gallows sits were  high. I made new bulwarks  for each side of the hydraulically operated buoy handling door to the same height. Insert a piece of wood to make the whole lot level thru-out. redone the safety gate making it slightly larger. to me looks better.
pic 3,  Added rubbing ribs (strakes) aft
pic 4,5 made a little rough box to blank of the side viewing window on the port side.This'll  be painted white walls green deck glued in place before deck is fitted. Ladders go down to this area so needs to look the part
pic 6 Build this part to fit into the side gate still to trim off. Note the pencil lines below gate. I  still have to make up my mind what to do in with this area. Just spray it brown or build a good lookalike. It is recessed on the Scotia but I am not cutting that area out to make a recess. Also the rubbing strake goes right thru this area and would need to but trimmed off.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2015, 10:05:39 pm »

Side Gate Finished trimming the top wooden part and built the lower part. Used plastic for this as it would be near the water level and would need replacing in a few years if wood used.

pic 1 Built 2 frames to see what was the strongest the square end joint was a lot stronger than the 45% cut one. So I used the square one.
pic 2 When frame's glue dried I made a cardboard template to get a good fit. Centre part fitted using 2mm plastic card. Perfect fit.
pic 3 Scratched up the hull area for a good glue joint and the back of the plastic
pic 4 Both parts glue in position. Plastic part araldite 24  hr. glue used and clamped overnight
pic 5 Wood part supported inside with a strip of resin / tissue

Getting near hull spray time. Need to find a colour at Halfords near  Sky blue RAL 5015. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.