Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans Type IX  (Read 3909 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Deans Type IX
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:31:47 pm »

Thanks to Petesubman I now have a Deans Type XI sub hull

Before I even start on the hull I want to plan the WTC.  Pete was kind enough to include a length of tube suitable for the chamber, so I just need to get some end caps made up.
I want it to be a static diver so my thoughts immediately swung to the dive system.
I had reasonable success with my Robbe seawolf using a bladder system taken from the TT Neptune modified with a larger bag, but I'm not sure if I want to go down this route and also with the IX beings as its larger than the Seawolf
Im thinking piston tanks but the price of 2 piston tanks and associated dive controllers would be a bit more than the budget would allow.

Any thoughts?

Drive motors will be 2 of these, mixed along with a conventional rudder
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__45920__NTM_Prop_Drive_28_30S_800KV_300W_Brushless_Motor_short_shaft_version_UK_Warehouse_.html

The reason for those motors is I have them to hand from another poject and they should give about 6000Rpm on a 2s lipo
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Deans Type IX
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:47:47 pm »

I'm not sure unsensored brushless motors will work that well with a mixer. i would go with brushed motors in that instance.

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 09:20:04 pm »

Have you thought about an rcabs  system , pumps and other bits are not expensive,  regards pete

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 09:32:55 pm »

Regarding piston tanks. Ron Perrott has or had a pair of new in packet 6 volt 750ml engel tanks for sale. Probably a bit larger than you need, but they can be altered to fit if you have access to a lathe. He wanted £150 for the pair, which is basically half price. These need at least a 10cm diameter pipe to fit in, 11cm waste pipe also will work very well. You don't need the expensive Engel boards for control, a £2 servo and a pair of micro switches will suffice.

If that is not of interest, I can supply you with an article on building your own piston tanks. This was penned by Lothar Mentz, and translated it into English to make it easier to understand. You can build your own tanks for about £15-20 per tank in materials, maybe less if you have some of the stuff already, however to build to his design you will need a small lathe.

Perhaps as you seem to be getting the 'sub-bug' if you haven't got a lathe you might consider investing in one, as it will quickly pay for itself if you make various bits.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:38:03 pm »

Regarding piston tanks. Ron Perrott has or had a pair of new in packet 6 volt 750ml engel tanks for sale. Probably a bit larger than you need, but they can be altered to fit if you have access to a lathe. He wanted £150 for the pair, which is basically half price. These need at least a 10cm diameter pipe to fit in, 11cm waste pipe also will work very well. You don't need the expensive Engel boards for control, a £2 servo and a pair of micro switches will suffice.

If that is not of interest, I can supply you with an article on building your own piston tanks. This was penned by Lothar Mentz, and translated it into English to make it easier to understand. You can build your own tanks for about £15-20 per tank in materials, maybe less if you have some of the stuff already, however to build to his design you will need a small lathe.

Perhaps as you seem to be getting the 'sub-bug' if you haven't got a lathe you might consider investing in one, as it will quickly pay for itself if you make various bits.

Getting the Sub bug?  Had it a while...... got about 4 or 5 sub projects on the go or in the process of acumualting parts for.
I like to have all the bits to hand before starting a project.
As for the lathe..... I have access to one
I like the idea of piston tanks, could you PM me Rons details?

Have you thought about an rcabs  system , pumps and other bits are not expensive,  regards pete

Yes and I haven't discounted it yet....

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:22:11 am »

Had a word with Ron, and unfortunately for you they were sold last month on ebay.

There is another possibility, a chap on the board purchased three sets of Ron's tanks, and doesn't really need them all. They're second hand units and would need a bit of work to get them A1. Some of the units needed motors, others needed a gear or two replacing, and I would think all of them would benefit from a change of seals (these tanks use silicone o-rings on the pistons).

Price wise they were about £30-50 a pair depending on the ones purchased and varied in diameter from 60-80mm.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:54:29 pm »

Had a word with Ron, and unfortunately for you they were sold last month on ebay.

There is another possibility, a chap on the board purchased three sets of Ron's tanks, and doesn't really need them all. They're second hand units and would need a bit of work to get them A1. Some of the units needed motors, others needed a gear or two replacing, and I would think all of them would benefit from a change of seals (these tanks use silicone o-rings on the pistons).

Price wise they were about £30-50 a pair depending on the ones purchased and varied in diameter from 60-80mm.

Sounds good.... I did read a very informative guide on building piston tanks and the RCABS system
I think if I can get piston tanks at the right price I'll go with those

If you could PM me the chaps details or work as an intermediary that would be great :)

Thinking about brushless motors and mixing..... Quadcopters use mixing and use unsensored motors

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 06:04:15 pm »

Yes they do, but the mixing is pretty sophisticated. Why the rush to brusless? i can understand it in some instances e.g. if space is an issue or high performance is desired. Apart from that a good quality brushed motor takes some beating for good low speed control and they're very efficient if you go for industrial motors liek Buhler, Maxon, Portescap etc.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 08:01:16 pm »

No rush to go brushless, its just that I have them "in stock" lol

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 06:10:05 pm »

I see, well it won't cost you anything but your time to try it then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.