Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combo Engine Sound Unit MK2  (Read 3416 times)

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
Combo Engine Sound Unit MK2
« on: September 13, 2014, 01:52:23 am »

has anybody tried the above sound unit ? Any comments on sound and set up ?
It's the technobots one with push button this and that .
Malcolm  NZ

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Combo Engine Sound Unit MK2
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 09:35:27 am »

Hi Malcolm, I have the MK2, easy to set up and if you go for the speaker they suggest it is very loud.

I would say it's not the best sound on the market, but then the good one's are a lot more expensive. So for the money yes I'd say go for it.

The steam sound is a bit.....naff but if it's diesel you want then that's fine, I have it in a diesel but just tried the steam sound to hear what it was like. (it's only a few button pushes to change the sounds).

Ian

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 08:26:18 pm »

Thanks Ian . I hve the MKI version which had good sound and easy set up , and just recently bought 2  new MKII versions which I thought were more complicated to set up . Maybe it was my state of mind at the time <G> .
Malcolm  NZ

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
  • more wires than wood in my boats!
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:34:03 am »

Malcolm - the set up *is* more complex as the MK2 Combo is NOT just a re-boxed version of the MK1 Combo where you could only select one of three engine sounds and the number of cylinders. Instead, you now have 9 engine sounds to choose from, and as well as setting the cylinder count you can also set tickover, topspeed, idling timeout value, joystick neutral and span plus there is a 'demo' mode (for shows etc) where the ESC output is disabled so you can demo the engine sound without running the boat's motor(s).

I tried to make the setup as easy and logical as possible - N pushes of the button selects parameter N and use the throttle joystick to adjust that parameter, press the button again to accept the adjusted value. Values for N:- 1=neutral, 2=tickover, 3=topspeed, 4=cylinder count, 5=engine 'voice', 6=idling timeout, 7=demo, 8=neutral & span. Hopefully I've arranged them in order of decreasing frequency of access requirements.

But note the MK2 'petrol', 'diesel' and 'steam' versions retain the same simple set-up as the MK1's as you are limited to just setting the number of cylinders and the (externally accessible) push button simply replaces the (internal) link.

in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:38:20 pm »

please don't take it as a complaint about the unit at all . Like I said , it was more likely my stressed state of mind at the time .
Malcolm NZ

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 08:51:55 pm »

Could someone put up a link to this unit please? I would like to have a look at it?
Thanks
Mick F

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:59:49 pm »

No problem Malcolm, I took it as a comment not a complaint and I was anxious to help if folks are finding it difficult to set up and don't have access to a 6 year old grandchild to sort it for them! (it seems SO easy to me, but then it would!) I'd welcome any feedback on the ease of use or otherwise and any suggestions which I might be able to incorporate in the future.

The attached pic is my personal sound unit that has twin throttle inputs, a start/stop input, a horn input and a remote (RC) volume control - try setting that one up!

Best regards

Alan

LINK for ROTTWEILER        http://www.technobotsonline.com/combo-engine-sound-unit-mk2.html

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 06:45:45 am »

Ahh YOU are the renowned Alan Bond !  Maybe the test of your instructions  are to give it to a nonce like me and see if they  can follow the instructions . Sometimes , to an expert like you they are as plain as the nose on your face , but to us nonces they are more difficult . I still REALLY like your first unit ! :-))

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 09:32:31 am »

Yes Malcom, guilty as charged  -  it seems that we Bonds have reputations that precede us!

But me an expert? - no way! - it's just that in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is King!

OK, in future instructions I'll be sure to include breathing in and breathing out as I wouldn't like to find you collapsed over your workbench - joking aside, if you or anyone else wish to volunteer, I have (see attached pics) a new rudder mixer and a new servo controller (a slower/stretcher) for which I'd be happy to mail you my instructions for review and comment (including any desired revisions to their functionality)  - just PM me your address. If pushed, I could make a limited number of pre-production prototypes available should you wish to try them out for real.

Alan Bond
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.