Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for DM about ACTion P96  (Read 5779 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Question for DM about ACTion P96
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:45:17 am »

Hi Dave......

1. am I understanding the terminology [Using R1 & R2 to adjust the total throw] with my recently purchased P96 ACTion controller in Sail Winch Mode which will allow me to reduce the nominal 6 rotational turns of the following sail winch servo down to say 2 turns?...

2. is the P96Y simply an adaptor that eliminates the RED wire?....or something extra I need to import to OZ?

Hi mrpenguin

3. you originally provided the link...are these servo's self centring?.........the comments from users are not exactly clear

4. the intended usage is to control the chain steering to the rudder where I will need both the very slow morph function and also approx. 2 to 3 turns on the drum for the chain

thanks Derek

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20855___SW4805_6PA_Sailwinch_Servo_6_13kg_45g_0_70.html
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Question for DM about ACTion P96
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:47:12 am »

:embarrassed:...OK should have read more...apart from the Mode 1 operation........where the P96Y is not used...... >>:-(

It appears that the P96Y is only used for higher power application requirements  :kiss: ....is this correct Dave ?.......

However the begging question is.........

Could I use the P96 with the 6 turn sail winch servo in the Mode 1 operation without the P96Y Adaptor?....... :o

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:50:56 am »

I don't understand what you mean by "Mode 1"; the drawings only refer to Stretch mode and Switch mode.
P96Y is required in the following four applications:
If you want to use a separate battery for the servo, a battery of 6v+ for the receiver, non-RC operation or to "daisy-chain" two or more servos together in Switch mode.
If all you need to do is run a sail-winch servo directly from the receiver using a 4-cell battery for the Rx then you don't need a P96Y at all. The connection is shown at the bottom left of Page 1, headed "Stretch/Slow Mode".
DM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:17:11 pm »

Would it not be better to just get a winch servo with a lower turn count?  They do them in 2 and 4 turn versions as well.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:43:24 pm »

Would it not be better to just get a winch servo with a lower turn count?  They do them in 2 and 4 turn versions as well.
Malc
The trouble is that those turns aren't adjustable i.e. you can't set the four-turn winch for say three turns end-to-end. A ServoMorph gives you that degree of adjustment and also slows down the servo movement, which is another of Derek's requirements. We also have to consider the fact that he's already bought the P96! 8)
O, and sail-winch servos stop in the stick position. If you want it to be self-centring then all you do is put a spring on the Tx stick to "self-centre" that - the servo will follow it.
DM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:24:29 pm »

The winch servos behave just like any other, sprung stick, they center, unsprung, they stay put.  The big difference is the little gearbox between the output shaft and the very ordinary position sensing pot giving the number of turns.  Whatever gets used, one giving about the right overall travel will give best results, the P96 then provides any fine tuning needed, presumably plus or minus.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 09:28:51 pm »

Just to add another Question for DM re the P96
Is it possible to run 2 micro servos with A Y lead from one P96? i need the servos to move in sync
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

inertia

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:59:10 pm »

Just to add another Question for DM re the P96
Is it possible to run 2 micro servos with A Y lead from one P96? i need the servos to move in sync
Yep. This is a very common application e.g. gun turrets. Go for it.
DM

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 11:09:10 pm »

Yep. This is a very common application e.g. gun turrets. Go for it.
DM

Exactly what I had in mind :)

The question is now how many guns? to maker operational

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 06:28:32 am »

All of them of course.   :-))

Dave

inertia

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 08:48:58 am »

How many do you want? See USS Ticonderoga Dwg#2 here http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/wd.php
This used two P96 ServoMorphs on a Y-lead from the same Rx channel, operating seven standard servos from a separate battery pack. I think you'd be able to operate four micro-servos directly from one P96 and without the separate battery. You'll forgive me for not having a definite answer but it's one of those myriad applications which I haven't tried personally.
DM

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 09:18:53 am »

sorry  :-) a little off thread  %).... I inspected a Ticonderoga Class vessel many years ago here in Sydney at my work place ...........but now not really sure what 7 [seven] servos could have been used for in a model....?..............Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 10:38:46 am »

Derek
The drawing says "directors, missile launchers and guns" so I guess that's the answer. One doesn't question a good customer with such a definite request! I can't remember much else about the order except that I did go ahead and supply the special adaptor boards and the wiring harness for the extra battery.
Andrew Donald comes from Queensland, BTW. There can't be that many 1/96 scale models of that vessel around in Oz - that's assuming Andrew went ahead and finished it.
Dave M

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 03:33:50 am »

:-) ...another question for Inertia.........

DM... I am considering using a second ACTion P96 to 'stretch & position' the arc of open/close for my steam regulator via a standard JR servo.....[rather than start to reconfigure both the servo & steam regulator arm lengths]

This will also have the advantage of variable speed of motion  :-)) as the last thing I want is slamming the steam regulator from fully closed to fully opened in milliseconds  >>:-(

So my question is........what sort of position repeatability [in both directions] is the P96 able to achieve?..........

I will also if necessary install a servo saver spring loaded device ........[subject in another thread]...........Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 09:03:06 am »

So my question is........what sort of position repeatability [in both directions] is the P96 able to achieve?..........
I'm not 100% clear on what you mean, Derek. If it's "Will the servo go to exactly the same place every time I move the stick to that position?" then the answer is yes. There's no such thing as slack or backlash in a microprocessor.
Dave M

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 09:41:32 am »

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean, Derek. If it's "Will the servo go to exactly the same place every time I move the stick to that position?" then the answer is yes. There's no such thing as slack or backlash in a microprocessor.
Dave M

As long as the servo iteslf has good centering.  I notice Derek mentioned JR and these are usually pretty good in this respect, however many of the cheaper chinese servos are less so

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 10:46:46 am »

:-) .... have installed & cold trailed the P96 in JR servo/steam regulator linkage......

Adjusts.... then sets with repeatable centring ....so simple  :-))....thanks ACTion............

Now I have to import/purchase another P96 to replace the module in the steering circuit >>:-(

Derek  O0
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.