Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scams, scams and more scams  (Read 4681 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Scams, scams and more scams
« on: June 01, 2014, 09:06:22 pm »

Is there no end to thr ruthlessness of people wanting to scam others out of hard earned money.

My younger daughter is after a Pug puppy and I have told her next summer when she leaves school I'll buy her one......

however yesterday she was looking on a web site that holds adverts for selling pets when she found one close to where we live..............they were going to vet us with questions to see if we were suitable to look after this 13 week old little girl as they were having to sell her because they were "being posted abroad " and couldn't take her.........so we replied, and they vetted us...

then came the give away.................oh yes, we will give the little pug to you, but you will have to pay special courier fees including veterinary checks, chipping checks and carriage UP FRONT  from........................Dublin, not preston as shown in the advert.........they sent pictures of a beautiful little pug puppy..........with certain little edits to the photos........................alarm bells started ringing and so we looked for images on google, where the same little puppy showed up............from totally different owners..........

so what will people stoop too, to fleece you out of your hard earned pennies.........there really are some scum bags in this world

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Scams, scams and more scams
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:11:44 pm »

Visit your local pet store, they will usually have a list of Breaders

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:34:54 pm »

Even with all the warnings, television, news, etc etc, it is astounding that Australians are being scammed of millions of dollars.

Experts put it down to fact the victims think they are smarter than the scammers, who often use bad spelling, grammar, etc to convey they are vulnerable.

Human nature being what it is, suppose that works world wide.

It's called let the sucker/victim beware.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:44:07 pm »

Seen the same in Model boats on ebay.
Someone elses photos(including mine) selling a boat that doesn't exist.

We saw one large boat auction off, and over the next six months someone
in a completely different country auctioned the model two more times.
One of those instances he got paid... However the boat was never his to begin with.
The fake auctions just recycled the photos of the originals sale.

:((

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 09:53:13 pm »

And EBay charged the appropriate fees %% %% %% {-) {-) {-)

Gunna build those other boats one day.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 10:18:12 pm »

recieved via email:-

Dear Friend.

After serious thoughts, my decision to contact you personally became urgent, since I have no grudge against you, other than your Nigerian partners. I happen to be the Deputy Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN) in charge of Operations.

Sometime ago, your partners approached me through a contact who works with one of the ministries here with a request to assist them conclude a transfer deal which required programming a transfer on your behalf.

What I gathered, is they wanted to use my position and office to strategically transfer a sum; which has been supposedly dormant in the CBN suspense account for quite a while. Our agreement was that I make this happen and be rewarded with one hundred thousand initial advance payment and another one hundred thousand when I finally release to your nominated account. Having successfully programmed the transfer as agreed and your name approved amongst the list of contractors/recipients/beneficiaries to be paid for that period, the story changed and instead of standing by our agreed arrangements, they employed an avoidance tactic and then resorted to threats. Well, that prompted my decision to immediately delete the transfer code, but released other payments as listed, excluding yours.

This resulted to several threatening calls which did not scare me though and then they started making frantic efforts to bribing other officials to get another approval to the transfer to you, but without success. I however take 100 percent responsibility for the delay and obstructions, because of their breach of agreement and trust. If you have doubts as to this privileged information, then consider what has transpired through the entire course of your claim process, they continue to ask you to pay one charge or the other and at the end no results and they continue to tell you to send another fee with yet no results. In very simple words, I can only say that they are just wicked. Now if you want us to work together,these are my conditions:

1: I will be entitled to twenty percent of the total sum, since it's just both of us left in the matter.

2: You will assist my son with opening an account in your domain where I will transfer my share.

3: It will be useless and mere waste of time and resources if you continue with any other person. So well conclude this process with the utmost of secrecy using only the included telephone and email details as provided.

4: You will provide me your direct telephone, mobile and your private email to facilitate easy communication between you and I.

If you find these conditions acceptable, contact me at your earliest convenience to have us finalize arrangements, so the transfer can be released to your nominated account after completion of the mandatory protocols. However, in case you're not interested, then I strongly advice you jettison the idea of receiving your funds and stop wasting your time with your so called partners. Your prompt response via my private and direct email is anticipated:

Yours truly.

Adebayo Adelabu Adekola.
(Deputy Governor, Operations - CBN).

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:31:01 pm »

arhhhh.....datz a crarrkaah  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 11:52:18 am »

here's a new one.........received this morning, lol

My name is SMA. Evan S. Preston with the Engineering Military unit stationed here in Kuwait.
I need your assistance in the transfer of a certain amount of money out of the country.

Reply if you are interested for more details.
{-) {-) {-) {-)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 12:09:46 pm »

At least you get offered money...all I get offered are increased dimensions in my ''gentlemans area....'' 

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 12:25:58 pm »

The old Nigerian "419 scam" is as old as the hills.  I would have thought everyone would have received dozens of variations of this old con trick by now.  Email and telephone fraud is so common nowadays to have become a standard background nuisance. The crazy thing is that some still fall for it.  It only takes 1 in 100,000 to be gullible enough to part with their life savings to ensure millions of these are still emailed every day
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 12:40:33 pm »

I'm moe surprised that even the Nigerians think that a 10 year old scam is still relevant in todays w.w.w!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 12:46:44 pm »

Although most pretend to be corrupt Nigerians, 61% of these emails originate in the USA, 16% in the UK, and only 6% actually come from Nigeria.  Other sources are Ivory Coast, Netherlands, South Africa and Spain. Anyone with access to a computer in fact . . .
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 12:49:38 pm »

While you wouldn't fall for this and I wouldn't fall for it there are still a lot of people coming on line who might.  If anyone has older relatives who are just getting on their computers and devices please make sure they are aware of the dangers.  This applies especially to the "phishing" e-mails or the bogus invoice type posts.  Let's hit these jokers where it hurts and help deny them a target pool.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 03:29:17 pm »

And watch out for those on line "Helpers", you know the ones who end up charging you for an item (eg European Health Insurance Card renewal etc) which you can get free from the real office, often the next on the list of web sites. <*< :police:

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 04:15:24 pm »

Several years ago, a local city council was at the airport, and one of them
mentioned to the ticket agent why they were traveling. Luckily, the agent
recognized the "story", and told them they were about to be scammed.

Still, even this year, gullible people send money over seas.
Even after being confronted and told that they are being robbed.

‘Government grant’ eats $150K from Salem couple
http://koin.com/2014/07/27/government-grant-eats-150k-from-salem-couple/

{:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 06:13:04 pm »

Talking of scams, has anyone renewed their mobile phone
contract lately?
Mine is up for renewal and to get the same service
is impossible.
Its all 4G now Sir is the condescending drivel from
lasses younger than my grand-daughters.
I need internet when I am away from home so a
basic phone is no good.

3G to 4G and prices have doubled >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 07:25:04 pm »

3 offer 4g for no extra cost (allegedly)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 07:48:22 pm »

Yeah no coverage though >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 08:05:49 pm »

Watch out for scams that are using a new top level domain .support

full story here https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/httpsyourfakebanksupport+--+TLD+confusion+starts/18651
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.