Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello. I need help identifying these motors.  (Read 1888 times)

martinfreekie

• Shipmate
Hello. I need help identifying these motors.
« on: September 19, 2014, 06:24:23 pm »

Hello everyone. After being bought a cheap rc boat for my birthday last year, my interest in Model boats has been rekindled from since I was a child. I have finally bought my first decent boat. Its a second hand model of a US Coastguard vessel. It is in fairly good condition but requires a few parts and some tlc.

I will need to get a transmitter and reciver for it but I am not sure what battery to get for the boat as I don't know what voltage the motors will take or what load they will pull. They have no info or markings on them at all. I assume the speed control is the right one for the motors I just don't know what voltage battery to get so If anyone could advise me it will be greatly appreciated.

The motors are 35mm in diameter and 55mm long. Both the speed control and the motors are wired in 16awg cable. which I don't think can handle over 20A.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Hello. I need help identifying these motors.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:30:20 pm »

Looks a bit like my Imex Island class - Coast Guard Cutter

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38664.msg385600.html#msg385600
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:15:16 pm »

Martin,

if you go down to the puddle at New Brighton on Sunday morning there will, probably, be someone who can assist you.

LB

martinfreekie

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 07:44:46 pm »

Thanks for the replies. Yes martin it looks exactly like yours and it is a Deans marine kit too. I will have a read of your thread. Thanks.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 11:36:29 pm »

HI Martin

The motors look like Johnson 600's with the extra cooling motor mounts, very powerful but use quite a bit of power

Regards

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

martinfreekie

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 10:26:11 am »

Thanks for your help.

I think they also look like the falcon 550 motors that deans marine supply but I think the falcon are a bit longer.
I think I will play it safe with a 7.2 or 8.4v battery and see how it goes. I could measure the currant draw under load in the bath tub so if the anonymous speed control fails at least I know what to replace it with, although it is most likely to be suited to the motors already.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.