Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VIVACE  (Read 2598 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
VIVACE
« on: September 19, 2014, 08:53:20 pm »

Needed something a little different after the last model and a launch powered by a water-jet drive looked interesting.  First plan was to use a Graupner unit but they seem to be unobtainable, maybe never to be available again?
Someone then suggested the NQD units and an internet search was quickly undertaken.  They seemed to be promising and a site was found that would sell a pair of units at a reasonable price.  My immediate thoughts on receiving them was how similar to the Graupner units they were but being made for smaller motors.  This would limit my model to a modest size and weight.
Designing the hull was not easy as the planing shape had to have a flat area for the unit to fit through.  In the end a hull shape that did not look too bad was created using balsa and plywood.  The final appearance was based on a fast launch that might be used by Mediterranean or Cribbean Coast Guard services.  It was 24 inches long with a beam of 4 inches and ,with a six cell Nimh battery pack, weighed in at eaxctlt 2 pounds.
Static tests in the garden pond revealed a heathy reaction to full power and a current of 4-5 Amps.  Sailing test were something of an anticlimax with excellent handling at all speeds.  Without any rudder or keel, I had feared that the model would show wandering tendencies, infact it would run quite straight until the nozzle was moved but on centering the transmitter stick it returns to a straight heading.  The heel in turns is quite noticable but never becomes dangerous.  Top speed is about 6 feet/sec, which isn't bad considering the modest input power.
The only drawback is the absence of any astern thrust, lots of astern noise but no sign of moment.  The NQD unit being supplied with no reversing bucket unlike the Graupner units.  This is something that still catches me out when bringing the model back for recovery!
Plans drawn up and text ready for final checking before submitting to the Editor of Model Boats
Glynn Guest

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: VIVACE
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:36:37 pm »

Wonderful Stuff Glynn, thanks for continuing to contribute to the Mayhem!   :-))

NB: What was the first but article or plan you had published in one of the magazines?

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 10:08:09 am »

Martin,
         A destroyer sometime in the 1970's.
Boy, that makes me feel old......
Glynn

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 11:48:51 am »

Any copies / photos?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tugs62

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:05:36 pm »

great model i have built a few from you free plans in model boats and have a couple of nqd jet drives kicking about so hopefully that will be in the magazine soon :-)) :-))

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:20:59 pm »

Martin,
           I believe that they are still available through the Plans Service, so I would not want to infringe copyright and put them on the Internet.
I know that this is a novel view in some peoples eyes.
Regards, Glynn

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:17:45 am »

Bright and calm yesterday, choice of working in the garden or sailing, yes it was a no-brainer!  But, when sailing the Vivace I discovered something about these NQD jet drives.
The model lost steering control but could be recovered safely, thats why I try to take two models when sailing!  It was found that the tiller arm, which had been a secure press fit into the steering nozzle, had come loose.  Clearly it needs fixing with glue and/or screw before the next sailing session.
I have to admit that I'm impressed with these NQD jet drives.  With the suppiled motor they offer good performance with modest sized models.  There is a spare unit on the shelf so something else is planned for next year.
Glynn Guest
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.