Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Blower Motors  (Read 9346 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Car Blower Motors
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 01:53:42 am »

Malcolm...I think your colleague from the Islands  %) may be referencing ac .....as from a air conditioning fan motor

But then  :embarrassed:...he has made a number of startling comments about electricity and such black magic issues {-)....... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 06:46:27 am »

Could also have been a motor manufactured by ACDELCO
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

seathug

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 07:18:25 am »

A/c air conditioning motor blower
That is the motor were talking about here am I right

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 10:03:28 am »

Here at 53 degrees north, aircon is rarely considered, consisting mainly of opening the window on either of the days of summer.  Car heater fan and radiator fan motors are what has been mentioned mostly.  Electric window winder motors deserve a mention too.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 11:14:30 am »

there are a few other motors that could do with a mention....

the motors out of battery powered drills...
industry big printers have nice DC motors...

names that could appear on the motors.. dunkermotoren, buehlermotoren, VDO motoren.... and there are others..

seathug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 04:31:34 pm »

Great I have a bunch of those power drills at the shop
Im going to try that motor

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 04:43:22 pm »

Hi Colin.
 Over the last 30 years any device that has had a battery powered motor in it I can guarantee that some body on here has had it in a boat either for propulsion or aux function.  The last non retail bought motors I aquired were Buehler photo copier motors.
 Pair of them on 18v  ran a 72 inch frigate all day, that was about the time decaperms hit £60 each.

Frank 

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 04:50:16 pm »

Waste not Want not as they say.
Even the mobile phone vibrate motors
are used I believe.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

ldv6

• Shipmate
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 08:38:30 am »

Hello!
I am searching for info about car heater motors.
I am building a model boat (project image is my avatar) and when considering propulsion I got two used car heater motors to test. One is from Opel Astra F, produced by Siemens, which ran at 20A max when powered by the car's battery with the turbine still attached to the shaft, at about 4000 rpm. The other is from Renault 19, produced by Valeo. With the turbine and housing (a load test of a kind) it ran at 3000 rpm on 12V with 16A consumption. The Siemens motor is awfully heavy (over 1kg), while the Valeo is less than 500g. Both motors have enough grunt for any application imaginable, however I am concerned about their cooling. Every permanent magnet dc motor I have seen has a tiny turbine wheel attached to the axle, while both these motors do not. I understand that the air flow through and around them caused by their turbines has cooled the motors enough in their original places, but I am not sure how the one I choose will fare in the closed space of the hull without cooling. Could any of you with experience share some info on how you have solved this problem, or if there is a problem at all in the first place? My setup will most likely be one motor running two prop shafts with propellers about 50 mm in dia and 1,3-1,4 pitch via belt drives on a composite planning hull 1.2m long and 25cm wide.

Thank you!

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 10:42:00 pm »

ldv6
Don't worry about heat buildup, with the setup you are proposing i would expect your current draw to be about 4 - 6 amps, remember your original power measurements were with a large fan attached to the shaft.

If you are worried by this make a small fan and attach it to the output shaft this will circulate air round and through the motor. Be sure to mount the motor to a firm base, well attached to the hull, they have massive torque and will destroy motor mounts and prop shaft u/s's if you get into weed etc,

Hope this helps

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

ldv6

• Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 04:31:58 am »

Thank you Mark that was helpful. I will definitely do something about the cooling when I am closer to fitting the motor to the hull. These motors are low rpm so a shrouded fan on the axle might be just perfect without any huge ballancing issues, for my peace of mind if not for the motor    %) !

Now, about the torque part - I can not possibly have a controller that can handle the stall current of such a motor at full 10 NiMH pack charged voltage, nor the battery can supply it anyway so I will be using V belts which will fortunately slip on the pulleys in case I run the boat in weed or grass or whatever. I will be trading torque for rpm for the propellers, which I expect will put more strain on the motor, so I expected currents at least twice bigger than what you stated. I hope you are right about that, though!

Thanks again!

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 10:10:53 pm »

ldv6

Dont panic over the stall current over coming your ESC, Add an in line fuse at say 10amps, this is below your ESC rating and will also protect your wiring.

The motor torque is getting you mixed. Torque is the turning / twisting force, Amps / watts is the power applied to the motor

Hope this helps

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

seathug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2014, 06:04:57 pm »

This will go to the scale bangka
Denzo brushed motor
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 1.969 seconds with 22 queries.