Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Zwarte Zee motor, prop and esc combo?  (Read 5333 times)

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Billings Zwarte Zee motor, prop and esc combo?
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:40:43 pm »

Hi, I'm building my first RC model boat the Billings Zwarte Zee 592 (ABS hull) and I'd like some advice on the electronics to put in. I'm a newbie to RC boats but have built RC gliders, assembled RC cars and done plenty of plastic kits - building this http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962084-gallery-ii/#entry1614796 1:125 Revell model of the Calypso inspired me to try something bigger!

Ok, back to the topic. The kit comes with a 3 bladed type A 50mm brass prop, I plan to replace this with a nice '2022' 4 bladed prop from prop shop as the original ship had a 4 bladed prop (I think).

So I need to power this, I'm thinking 12V lead acid battery, 15 amp brushed esc, maybe Mtroniks? and

either MFA RE540 geared 6:1 OR MFA Torpedo 800 Direct drive.

I have no idea what the all up weight of this model will be...

Any advice please? Too little? Too much, stick with the 3 blade prop or not?

Thanks

Simon

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Zwarte Zee motor, prop and esc combo?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:10:35 pm »

Hi Simon,

I built the Zwarte Zee plank on frame version as a static model 36 years ago when on a 9 month deployment on the Ark Royal. I've just looked up its' dimensions and reckon you are looking at about 4.5-5 Kg final displacement. More recently I had an 800 motor in my Sea Queen, it is a big motor. Consider a Mabuchi 555 from Component Shop, motor and stand for £10. I have one in my 33 inch Puffer and it shoves it around very nicely. Lots of torque, and quiet.

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 12:22:44 am »

Hi Jherek, I have a nearly complete earlier version at slightly smaller size.  I have fitted a monoperm super with 1:2 reduction and 4 blade prop as you have.
Have you bought any drive line items or batteries yet?

This boat only needs 10 -15 max watts to drive it. I suggest a 555 motor from electric Motors Direct (not sure but about £12) as direct drive to the prop you have, no gear reduction.  This will consume about 1.5 - 2 amps.  I have tried this combination and it works very quietly and no strain on the motor.

I suggest a 540 and gear reduction or MFA 800 is over the top as you do not need that much power.

The Mtronics esc will do fine, it has a bec so that you will not need a battery for the receiver.

I think the displacement is closer to 2.5 to 3 kgrms as the under water body is quite fine not like a harbour tug at that length and therefore a different scale.

Happy to answer questions as are a lot of the folks on this forum.
good luck,
Roy

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:37:26 am »

Roy, John, Thanks for your suggestions, I've ordered a 555 motor, I'll order am mtronics esc later.

I haven't bought any batteries yet. I have a stack of NiMh 7 /8 cell and 2S Lipos but they aren't really suitable for this so I will get either 1 x 12v lead acid or 2 x 6v in series - I read somewhere that  the boat was more stable with two 6v batteries in a vee shape...

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:30:27 am »

Hi Jherek.  The 555 motor only needs 6 or 7 volts to run on with the propeller you have, not 12 volts.  If you have any 7.2 volt Nimh batteries use those.  A 2000 mAh battery will give you more than an hours running.

As I said stick to 1 x 6 volt Lead acid battery or one 7.2 volt Nimh, do not run on 12 volts it will start to plane which looks stupid.

2 S lipos will give you 7.4 volts which is a good voltage.
Why do you think the batteries you have are not suitable?
regards Roy

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:57:33 am »

HI Jherek

Several things, will you be tug towing with Zwarte Zee? if so the prop supplied isn't much good. need a mortgage but Propshop, props are superb, bering in mine how fine the hull is, 12v lead acid battery is a bit heavy, possibly 6v 5ah? 7.2v Nimh would be far better, lipo 2s lighter but needs special charger,

ESC @ 15 amps is fine, again if your tug towing go up to 25 amp with the extra load.

Keep the upper works as light as possible, and as much of the weight down on the keel, they sail well and look superb, thats why this type of tug is being converted into private yachts

Hope this helps

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 12:35:05 pm »

Roy/ Mark,

I thought I'd need 12v as I  want to keep the current down - but that's when I was looking at a 12v geared motor and I planned to use the batteries as ballast. If I can get away with the NiMh or lipos that's great as I have the charger and the batteries, just need to buy more lead  :-)

I've ordered a prop shop STD/2022/4/RH/BR 

Dunno about tug towing but my lipos will be good for that (2s 5000mAh 20-30c)  and I suppose I could pinch the esc from one of my cars - Traxxas XL5 which should cope with that.

Now I just need to  get on with the superstructure!

Simon

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 04:45:14 pm »

Hi, you would have to make drastic changes to go tug towing and I suspect it would not be a suitable boat.  The superstructure just sits on a coaming on the deck.
For just running around on the lake you wil not need much power and your 5Ah  batteries will last a long time.

Perhaps you could show us your progress with the Zwarte Zee?
regards Roy

Jherek

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:54:18 pm »

Hi Roy,

I think I'll give the towing a miss and build it to plan. As for progress, all I have so far is a trimmed abs hull with the keel strip glued in and the frames / rudder assembly all waiting for me to commit to the epoxy. So not much to see!

I will start (and hopefully) finish a build thread on this model as I haven't found one (for this iteration of the kit) on the net yet!

Thanks

Simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.