Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BRAVE OR STOOOOPID  (Read 5420 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
BRAVE OR STOOOOPID
« on: September 28, 2014, 03:51:25 pm »

Any of you guys from Sunderland and surrounding area brave enough, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

The Hottest Chicken Wings In The World?

A bar in England is claiming they have the world’s hottest chicken wings. The 10-Wing Tap Out Challenge at Purple Bar in Sunderland is Great Britain’s newest "Man Vs. Food"-style challenge. The chicken wings are smothered in a sauce made from three of the hottest chilies in the world, and require each brave eater to wear gloves and sign a waiver.

hope you don't pay till you've eaten them all, lol %% %% %%

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BRAVE OR STOOOOPID
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 06:11:01 pm »

Neil,
In the north east thy often sell a curry called a MAGNALOO Jasper carrot once try ed it and stuck his head in the fish tank it was that hot, often go,s with two toilet rolls in the freezer, no big wuzz boys up here,  but i,ll stick to my mild Chinese curry.
                                    Regards Howard

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:38:02 pm »

Seen too many people try and eat ridiculously hot food, be it chillies or curries I cannot see the point of putting yourself through so much physical pain....and it can be seriously painful.

Back in the 70's when I worked for a band, we would often go for an Indian meal after the gig, one of my fellow roadies bragged about his spice eating prowess and was duly challenged by another.
The bowl of chilli /curry was ordered and arrived whilst he was in the loo, I only dipped my finger in the concoction, tasted it and almost immediately my head broke out in sweat, my eyes started running and my mouth and throat were on fire - and I like spicy food!
to his credit, Mike ate the whole bowlful but he was really bad later.....all for the sake of £20.

So in response....definitely Stoopid!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 07:28:57 pm »

One of the problems with Indian - you can still taste it two days later...

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 07:54:23 pm »

Is True Indian cuisine really that spicy or is it just a UK thing ? 

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 09:26:05 pm »

Apparantly it is an UK thing

Dave

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 09:28:08 pm »

as an aside we went to some swedish friends of ours for what they call a crayfish party (dont do it) one of our other friends there got quite drunk and was inspecting a jar of naga chilli flakes they had on the table. been a little worse for wear he spilt some on the table tried to scrape them up with his fingers then rubbed his eyes. could hear the screams in the garden as they hosed his eyes out with the shower.

phil

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 10:33:33 pm »

Definitely Stoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopid which will come back and haunt you with a vengeance when you are older, that is stomach problems, the least of which is GORD and ultimately a stomach operation.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 12:44:40 am »

Overly spicy curry is very much a British thing, went to Goa on holiday some time back, over heard a Brit complaining his Vindaloo was a bit mild to his waiter who promptly replied 'if you want it hotter than that you need to go back to Manchester'

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 09:51:07 am »

Funny how ideas change though.  "Research" (I don't know how these guys find the funding) seems to show that spicey food in a balanced diet can reduce the chance of Dementia.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

inertia

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 10:30:34 am »

That's nowt! Just see what the Daily Mail says will give you cancer (courtesy of Russell Howard): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFfWykH05Gw
Note: Contains strong language and adult humour....if you're a wuss.
DM

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 02:17:44 pm »

I had a last laugh many years ago.  Context is that when I was very young my father would cook up a curry as he had been in India for many years in the army.  These curries always cleaned up the saucepan they were cooked in, so we were used to strong ones.

My wife does not like Indian curry so I had not been out for an Indian curry for years.
I moved to a new area at work and my "new" friends said lets have an "Indian" at lunch time.
I said I was not sure of the menu so they smiled and ordered a vindaloo curry, curried vegetables and rice for me.

When all the food arrived I had mine but it was only about the strength that  my father cooked so literally "no sweat".

They sat there waiting for the reaction and were quite put out when I said I thought vindaloo curry was stronger than that!

In earlier days I remember going out as a family group (in London) with my father's younger brother and his wife, we always knew her as Blossom!  She was English white in appearance but was actually quarter Indian and spoke several Indian dialects. They had met while he was a staff major in the army in India.
We had a meal in an Indian restaurant, the Indian waiter took the order went away and called it out to the cook.  However being rather foolish he was very disparaging about us and quite rude.

As my aunt Blossom heard and understood all, she waited for him to finish and let out a tirade of Urdu (I think) and the waiter was completely shocked.
For the rest of the meal he stood at attention by her side and  bowed and saluted at every request.
You really have to be careful what you say and where you say it

I take mild though now.
regards Roy

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 04:50:43 pm »

:-)

Having read the original posting here; this answers my question:

I definitely now believe the 'Mackems' as they are locally known like things HOT at both ends - here is a link to prove it:-

http://entheogen-network.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9042

aye John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 10:10:14 pm »

That's nowt! Just see what the Daily Mail says will give you cancer (courtesy of Russell Howard): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFfWykH05Gw
Note: Contains strong language and adult humour....if you're a wuss.
DM

Oh my goodness, :o :o :o have to post this to all my cronies to save them :-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 11:12:33 am »

Hi Guys

Going back to Neil's original post. People are sitting down to an experience of Bravado and exuberance but not a 'meal'. I really do love well prepared spicy foods but if heat simply overpowers all the flavours of the meal then it's just spoilt and a waste of money. I had a nice Indian in Bowness many years ago and they placed a tray of seeds on the table after the main course. I wish I knew what they were called because all the heat from the meal just faded away.

As an aside (and the reason I'm depressed)
                   The big problem with the gene pool is there's no lifeguard.

Regards Dave

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 09:12:25 pm »

I've spent years travelling all over India - I've eaten in five star restaurants and hotels and, more often, from street stalls. The first thing you need to understand is that 'Indian' food in Britain and elsewhere is a fiction produced by cooks from Sylhet in the hill country of  Bangladesh or from Pakistan. True Indian food is very varied but, to generalise, is vegetarian and hotter in the south (and Rajasthan) than in the north.  Good Indian food, as found mostly in Lucknow and Punjab is delicately spiced.

Chilis, which are responsible for the acrid hotness of so many dishe here and in India, were brought to India by the Portuguese. They are an essential ingredient of vindaloo, as much a Portuguese dish as an Indian one, but not ridiculously hot. The unique feature of a vindaloo, incidentally, is that the meat, which must be pork, is marinated in vinegar, giving the characteristic hot and sour taste. Reasonably enough, you will not find this in a restaurant run by Muslims.

Chilis seem to be used among the poorer people in the sub-continent because of a belief that they help the body to extract all the nutriments from what is often an inadequete diet. It is nothing unusual to hear middle class Indians asking in restauants whether the food contains chilis, and complaining loudly if it does.

The funny thing is that this all goes back to 18C when (British) employees of the East India Company would compete to see who could produce the hottest curry for their guests. And then we could talk about the use of the word ‘curry’ itself…
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 09:47:58 pm »

My ex colonial parents  had fairly hot curries. But always claimed that chillies were addictive as they release endorphins .

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 06:37:14 pm »

They may be right. The capsaicin in chillies binds to a receptor in the lining of the mouth that registers pain from heat, hence the burning feeling, and as the percieved pain leads to a release of our endorphins you get a natural high. Like runners feeling 'the burn' ... not that I will ever know.

Scoville measured  the hotness of extracts on the tongue after dilution. Pure capsaicin is so hot that a single drop diluted in 100,000 drops of water will produce a blistering of the tongue. That means that even the bravest of the brave can't keep beating the chef - he can always outspice them  O0

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 07:45:05 pm »

Like runners feeling 'the burn' ... not that I will ever know.

nor will I matey, nor will I,  {-) {-) {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.