Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Repair unexpected cost!  (Read 6229 times)

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
Re: Car Repair unexpected cost!
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 12:55:58 am »

ah! good thinking,

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 07:44:06 am »

Not the safest thing to do but this does work,

If you are stuck with a wheel that wont budge. refit the wheel bolts/nuts to just under finger tight and lower the car back down, drive the car gently forwards and backwards a few feet, this can often be enough to loosen the wheel on the hub

Ah the old school way of doing it, (I was a tyre fitter for the first 6 years after leaving school, many Many years ago)

If the above fails then put a small block of wood behind the wheel and run over it a couple of times, if that don't break the join nothing will.

Do be careful if you try this though, but then that should go without saying really......

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 01:28:34 pm »

I had a pulley on one of my cars - the one that drives the alternator and air con etc, it needed a new pulley, but could I get the nut off? - No, I took it to a garage and they tried their air guns on it - no dice, tried a second garage, and they had a suggestion, we put the socket on a long breaker bar, set it so the bar was about 6" off the floor, and while someone held the socket in place with his foot, turned the engine over, on the third attempt the nut came loose, I then finished undoing it and fitted the new pulley, tightened the nut to the correct torque and asked what I owed- Nothing was the reply, we didn't do that and you didn't see it - its not a recommended technique - well not by health and safety - we were on our tea break (nice guys, I gave them something for a pint down the pub after work)
Grendel

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 04:05:51 pm »

Not the safest thing to do but this does work,

If you are stuck with a wheel that wont budge. refit the wheel bolts/nuts to just under finger tight and lower the car back down, drive the car gently forwards and backwards a few feet, this can often be enough to loosen the wheel on the hub

Had to do this a few times on my wife's car, but to loosen overly tight wheel bolts. Slacken off the other 3 and gently drive back and forth a few feet. Vauxhall locking nuts are the worst I've come across, as the key part of it is only about 4mm deep, so very easy for it to slip a bit and just break the key. I've got locking nuts on my car but it's a splined socket that fits into the wheel bolt, gives contact along about 10mm and no chance of it sliding off and breaking.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.