Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Take a deep breath !  (Read 4673 times)

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Take a deep breath !
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:54:47 pm »

This is my first post so please be kind. First like to say hello and excited to have found this forum from a lead on an American site for postings on here for the building of the Sir Kay Minesweeper. I have recently retired have worked what seems a lifetime of long unsociable hours as a Trucker and always wanted to take up and enjoy model boating but could never find the time. Well, now I have, I have made models all my life from plastic to composite but as the years went on finishing them often became more difficult through the pressures of work. So, in retirement I chose perhaps what some would say the easy way and looked for a model that had been built and was ready to use. I have always trolled through eBay in the past but now with more serious intent. I came across a splendid finished R/C model of the Calder Craft Sir Kay Minesweeper. To cut a long story short as nice as it was I felt it over priced probably because it was in the hands of an Antique Dealer. Liking the larger scale I came across the Brannahern also by Calder Craft, this a 42" scale model of a pre war Swedish coastal tanker. It photographed well and was a "Buy Now" or "Best Offer". My offer was accepted and I duly went and collected it from a chap who was selling some of his models to raise cash to venture into tugs as they were the thing in his club. All pleasantries done I loaded up to leave, a chance remark that "Sir Kay" had sparked my interest was greeted with "come this way". In his workshop was indeed a the very article, "it's for sale" he said and at a fraction of the earlier one. I drooled over it but declined and left pleased with my tanker. I didn't get far and seeing an ATM the money was drawn and I returned to a rather shocked and concerned vendor.  :o  Part 2 >>>>>

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
Re: Take a deep breath !
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 12:35:24 am »

Part 2 >>>>>  :-))  Still there? Good, "I couldn't leave it," I said. Smiles all round and Sir Kay joined Brannahern in the van. There are a few bits that need minor repair as you would expect for their age but they are both fully working 6 and 12volt R/C systems respectively as demostrated to me, however, they could not be supplied with a handset as it was needed for his remaining fleet. They are both 2.4Ghz. I notice that the Hobbyking Turnigy 9X (Flysky) comes highly recommended by some of you. My question is what is the difference between Mode 1 and Mode 2 and will my receivers pick up it's signal. I notice all these transmitters seem to specify for plane/heli or glider, never seem to mention surface use ie., boats. Here I must admit total novice instinct.  {:-{

ps How do I get round University Challenge (What was NASSA's first mission to the moon called)???

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 05:37:24 am »

:-)) HI,mate I have two of these sets and have used them for some time, Turnigy 9x are good value for money and are very good sets,I use them on all my boats now and never had any problems, you will have to download the instructions from the internet as it does not come with any also there is loads of tips on there to help,the sets come with one rx so you will need an extra one for the other boat,battery life is great I charged mine in march and still plenty of life in them using every Sunday,anyway welcome to the forum and our great hobby,Ray :-)) :-)) :-))     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 10:27:08 am »

Thanks Sparkey, very encourageing just need to know the answer to Mode 1 or Mode 2 when buying the handset. I take it that I will need to replace the receivers to matchup with the setup.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:59:15 am »

This refers to fail safe situation should the transmitter fail.  It returns the motor control to off.

The one to go for is mode 2 on our boats.  Stops them heading for the shore at top speed, I believe.   :o

Cheers

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:07:13 am »

Mode 1 or 2 are more to do with aircraft mode 1, the throttle and ailirons are on the right stick, Mode 2 they are on the left stick, and are more common in expensive computer systems, with boats you don't need to bother with all this, and unless you intend running anything other that the motor and rudder you only need a two channel system which are cheaper anyway, also I find it best to get one with both the sticks self centering as you have forward and reverse on boats, with the 2.4 gig systems you bond the Tx to the Rx so no other system can interfere with each other and you can buy extra Rx's to bond to but be careful some of the really cheap ones don't do this,

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 12:12:45 pm »

Thanks for replies, they are both 2 channel at the moment but the option to add functions is attractive so for the price the 9X seems to meet the criterea. Good point as a novice about forward and reverse, as you say Radiojoe with the central stick I assume up or down doubles as forward and reverse and throttle for both with the 9X I imagine you through a switch to change command. I have a lot to learn I can see O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:45:48 pm »

Thanks again. Out of interest is there a way round the anti spam verification everytime one posts? {:-{

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:02:18 pm »

Afew more posts and Martin will know you are not a spybot
and you will have acess all areas :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 01:42:15 pm »

If you do go for 9x flysky , remember as the name suggests it is aimed at aircraft, so one of the sticks will not be self cantering on the up and down axis, of course you can still use this for a boat throttle, but you have to remember to centre the stick each time you turn on the speed controller, if both sticks are self cantering it's easier to find neutral IE. No prop movement, this is of course just my opinion,  %%

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 12:53:50 am »

Thanks Radiojoe I see reading through other topics that this is a common problem as R/C boaters appear to be a small percentage of users compared to flyers that transmitter manufacturers concentrate on their needs rather than ours, a case of where the demand is greatest coupled to marketing and sales. {:-{

Netleyned, ah I thought maybe something like that was in place --no problem :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 06:53:28 am »

6 posts should do it.   :-)

Thanks again. Out of interest is there a way round the anti spam verification everytime one posts? {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 10:26:54 am »

Hi Tricky Dicky
If you really want the Turnigy 9x there is a kit available to make the throttle self centering, just google (turnigy centering kit) I use a 2.4ghz. Saturn 6 as I have working turrets/ radar etc. I got so fed up with the throttle stick I did my own conversion with some parts out of an old TX. the centering lever just needed a bit of reshaping and the spring was the right length, it's now is so much better in use. :-))

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 10:32:41 am »

:-)) There are a lot of add on kits for these sets,the best one is the back light kit very handy for sailing at night and easy to fit,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-))   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Tricky Dicky

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 01:58:51 pm »

Thank you all, this has been a really great start :-)) :-))

ps, I'm in, no more Brain of Britain lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.