Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lune Valley Boiler  (Read 4213 times)

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
Lune Valley Boiler
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:04:52 pm »

Hi all, I have a plan for a small steam launch, the Lady Elizabeth, which, from what I can gather, rests at the Windermere Steam Museum. I am thinking of building her sometime next year at 1/6th scale and I intend scratch building the engine and boiler. I have K N Harris's book on model boilers, which does give some brief and sketchy details, but does anyone know of drawings for such a boiler, or indeed, has anyone built one? Any suggestions will be greatfully recieved.....

http://www.steamboats.org.uk/sl-lady-elizabeth-c1900
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lune Valley Boiler
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 06:06:39 pm »

She is on my build list :-))
Look forward to a build
I have been thinking about using a self or restart able single for her
I did start drawing her up but have never finished them as I no longer have access to her with the passing of her owner
The drawings they sold have a few problems and if I remember correctly its the bow area that the forms are adrift.
The boiler will depend on the engines size.Theres a few designs knocking about for simple VFT boilers
cheers

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 06:09:31 pm »

I was planning on using proper wood and joinery in minature. I too was considering making a self start single, using the french idea....

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 06:35:58 pm »

Iv a similar idea :-)) but not for a while
I intend building a small free lance one first just to get some ideas to work and then build a true scale model of her as I did with Bat
I have some pics of her and some rough drawings but I dont have a scanner
I may have the museum drawings in the loft.
Did Mr Arnot not have some drawings for a vertical
I think she was is going to be about 40 inches just honestly cannot remember and will have to get into the loft to find them %)

The plant build will be on mem next year I hope. I keep muttering on about this engine build to George and really do need to get my backside into gear but those infernal Stirling engines keep saying build me %%

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:46:57 pm »

I've got the 1/2 inch to the ft drawings, which when multiplied by 4 will give a hull about 36" x 11" and a scale of 1/6th. I have sent off for a reprint of the 1909 Lune Valley boiler catalogue, which has drawings of the innards and details of the paraffin burner, now there's a thing, paraffin....

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 11:27:27 pm »

The plant build will be on mem next year I hope. I keep muttering on about this engine build to George and really do need to get my backside into gear but those infernal Stirling engines keep saying build me %%

Fraser ,stop muttering and get on with it and stop fiddling with those BLACK MAGIC ENGINES

George.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 11:35:32 pm »

I've got the 1/2 inch to the ft drawings, which when multiplied by 4 will give a hull about 36" x 11" and a scale of 1/6th. I have sent off for a reprint of the 1909 Lune Valley boiler catalogue, which has drawings of the innards and details of the paraffin burner, now there's a thing, paraffin....

Nick,

Why don't you consider using the Brunnel type boiler that you have with the Ceramic burner , building a scale LUNE VALLEY  boiler is not for the feint hearted.

I prefer Paraffin to all other fuels!!!! it's a bit trickier than L.P.G. but much cheaper.

George.

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 11:48:38 pm »

I only build them to confuse you George %%
Nick , I have some piccys of the boat some where. It maybe possible to get them scanned if I can sweat heart the wee squeeze.
The Lune Valley boiler will take a bit of building.I have seen some pics of one in bits on the SBA site.
Good luck with her she is a very nice little boat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.