Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Suffolk 23 build  (Read 11143 times)

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
Suffolk 23 build
« on: October 07, 2014, 08:49:47 pm »

hey everyone , this is my build log for a Suffolk 23 inshore fishing boat
This should be a relatively easy build and its my first one in a while , the reason I brought the kit was because everything I didn't have was in the box so it won't be affected by lack of money I can just build build build etc Etc anyway cutting to the chase this is the kit as it comes , I seem to be minus instructions though so don't know if the kit had them in the first place but it should be easy enough to figure out what goes where cheers KK

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Suffolk 23 build
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 02:36:39 pm »

So so far I have figured out where the deck should for and made sure it was level I then drew a line around the top so I knew where the lips would have to go for the deck to sit on , then using whatever  I could find clamped it to the side of the boat so they can be bended into shape with that done I decided to fit the motor, propshaft and rudder so after carefully working out the centreline I worked out where I think the prop shaft should leave the boat and where the prop and rudder should be put , does this look okay to everyone before I go chopping ? Cheers kk

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 02:37:13 pm »

Deck

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 02:39:43 pm »

Sorry for some reason it won't let me post them all at once  {:-{

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 02:41:06 pm »

Deck lips

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 02:41:31 pm »

Under side where I worked out where the shaft and rudder will be

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 03:06:30 pm »

blimey, tools and measuring :} , keep up the good work..
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 10:16:42 pm »

Started on the deck tonight , cut out the hole where the hatch goes which was surprisingly easy with a shape knife I'm not sure what the decks made out of because it's no ply and it's not balsa but it cuts like balsa but feels and has the general strength of ply ? , I also thought the deck felt abit flimsy and also because the hatch trimming will go slightly below deck level so it will need reinforcing so it dosent snap off easily I reinforced the underside of the deck around the hatch opening with some balsa strip that came with the kit but without the instructions had no clue where it was meant to go so thought this was a good use and if I need more for something I'll just pop to the best local model shop on fratton road and get some more , I also started marking out the areas on the cabin that needed cutting out for windows which was an easy job since the templates for the side front and rear of the cabin where still in the box but the rest weren't  >:-o

Kk

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 05:50:50 am »

Keep up the good work. I like the improvised clamp (suction vice). Can n ever have enough clam,ps etc. Although can never seem to find mine when i want them, and i have loads somewhere.

James
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 07:36:39 am »

I have a hella load somewhere at least 20 but I'm partway through moving modelling room and there boxed somewhere and I can't find them  :((

KK

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 09:17:11 am »

please keep this build going on here...not a lot of small fishing boat builds are shown...I like fruit and nut better...did you get paid for the advert?????..tony

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 09:29:42 am »

please keep this build going on here...not a lot of small fishing boat builds are shown...I like fruit and nut better...did you get paid for the advert?????..tony

Nope, loyalty has its own rewards :} , cheaper too.....
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 05:26:54 pm »

Looking good  :-)) . Which kit is this, and what scale is it ?

Thanks,

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 06:07:59 pm »

I may be wrong but Anglia models do a Suffolk 23....tony

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 07:08:32 pm »

I may be wrong but Anglia models do a Suffolk 23....tony

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 11:19:50 am »

I think I worked the scale out at about 1/28 but I will check my notes , was away for the weekend so not much done but I cleaned up the joins and areas around the deck opening\ hatch , cut the windows out for the side of the bridge , epoxyed the propshaft in which was hard because I think I might have put te propshaft slightly far forward so the angle was very shallow and relatively hard to achieve ,I have yet to clean up the join on the underside which will be sanded down and any pits fillered . I've put te base for the motor mount in but haven't put the motor mount on as I have run out of hot glue gun cartridges and silicone next job is to clean up the propshaft area put the rudder ,servo and other electrics in then comes a float test then the deck can go on and superstructure can be done and then it's just the painting and weathering , sounds so simple when you're writing it !

KK

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 10:22:16 am »

Engine was put in yesterday , I keyed the bottom of the mount then with silicone glued it in place I also put 2 screws in the back because this not only helps hold the mount in place but also helps reinforce the base , did the soldering , my soldering skills arnt great but it's done the job , I had abit of wood that I didn't know where it went so the best use I had for it was to use it as a support of the bow/ foredeck area as this was pretty flimsy , I cut a small slot in the support and put a tray in for the electrics , decided this was a good point Because it's not under the hatch so less likely to get wet and it's also up high so it won't get wet also to prevent them getting wet the trays at a angle so the only place water might get is through the deck join at the bottom of the slope so instead of sitting on a flat surface or running to the rest of the electrics it should just drain down into the bilge , it not being under the hatch will make access awkward , to get around this the tray housing the electrics isn't glues so can be un wedged from the slot if I need to get to them otherwise there nice and out the way , so just need to fit the electrics and put the rudder and battery holder in them on a nice day it'll be time for a quick lake test before I stick the deck on

Kk

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 01:23:01 pm »

Just an update , had its deck put in place , had a test run at Chichester canal , the coupling slipped of so I'm upgrading it , I've started painting / weathering the decks I've started  building the hatches and the superstructure , pictures to follow

Kk

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 06:13:21 pm »

trying to upload pictures but apparently the file size is too big , anyone know how to get the file size down ?

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 06:34:23 pm »

Hi,
   Impressed, I really like to see other peoples work especially from the start its looking good. Keep it up and pic's of your progress.
        Cheers,
              Faz. :-))

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 07:24:05 pm »

trying to upload pictures but apparently the file size is too big , anyone know how to get the file size down ?

See the thread under chit chat plenty of info there
Don't Assume Check

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 07:46:28 pm »

thanks dougal99

things for the deck being clamped and glued in place

start of painting

bath tub test , after 24 hours of being weighted so the water was way above the water line and (almost to my suprise!) nought water!

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 07:51:47 pm »

in this image you can see the deck , the start of the weathering (experimenting!) also the rims for the hatch to sit on and clamped to the the coming that will be attached to the hatch to slot in place being glued togeather so when it lifts off it will be a nice snug fit to then be glued onto the hatch if that makes sense

forum image hosting

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 08:22:47 pm »

the glue set for the sides of the hatch , so this was cut and sanded and is a very tight fit to the coaming ( I keep having to ply it off)  but hopefully when the superstructure is attached ill be able to use that to get it off

the next part was epoxying the hatch top to the sides this was done by putting the sides back on the coaming then epoxy was put on the top sides of the sides , the hatch deck put down and weighted down with whatever was to hand , just waiting for the glue to set now , then will trim and sand the hatch

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 09:49:56 pm »

well the hatch is now done , glue set , corners and ends sanded smooth , now for the making and fitting of the super structure

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.