Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Aero-Naut Bella, sailing boat.  (Read 22947 times)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
Aero-Naut Bella, sailing boat.
« on: October 11, 2014, 12:33:37 pm »

Well Autumn is here and the boss has allowed me to start building one of the two identical Aero-Naut kits of the yacht Bella that were delivered about 8 months ago. {:-{
Pearlsfirstmate ie the boss, is to build the other one and opened a blog in this section of Mayhem requesting information on suitable sailing boats in January before choosing our favourite. The decision was swayed by us having already built an Aero-Naut Diva the previous year and having been impressed with the quality of the kit.
It is my intention to post some pictures and comments on the build as it progresses and it is possible that there could be input from 'the other builder' ok2.
The competition on build quality and sailing performance will be intense >:-o
As the builds progress your comments and help will as always be appreciated.
All the best Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aero-Naut Bella, sailing boat.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 05:25:53 pm »

Well the kit is as good as I thought it would be, I checked the contents which were complete, had to download the instructions from the Aero-Naut website as the enclosed were in German.
Set the foam base on the workbench and proceeded to remove the frames and keel, which is in two parts, from the sheets of 3mm Birch ply. This stuff is as hard as 'Nag nails' and it is difficult to cut the lugs to free the frames, will certainly make for a strong and rigid yacht.
With not a lot of sanding got all of the frames to fit into the keel and positioned on the foam base which makes the whole thing rigid for applying small amounts of glue at this stage.
The sides of the boat are 1.5mm mahogany and are joined after shaping at the bow and held in place with lots of masking tape to aid gluing. The next job is to trim and fix the boats bottom and will require patience I think.
More to come. 

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:42:22 am »

'Bella' soon to be renamed, who would call a shapely sailing boat Bella? %% is coming along nicely although the build is certainly more challenging than I imagined. The process and the instructions are good with very little that is not clearly described but achieving the correct shape with the ply supplied is slow. No suggestion that it is inferior in any way.
Once the sides and bottom are positioned using tape and pins and a little strategically placed glue the model is turned over, right side up and the serious gluing is done from the inside. In places where the gap between the ply and the frames was too large to glue  >:-o a little P38 was applied.   
Lots of sanding sealer and varnish completed the inside of the hull.
For a variety of reasons, visibility on the lake, the use of filler and personal choice being three I decided she should be painted so she has a sparkling white bottom and bright yellow topsides, I intend to paint the transom in white as well.

Question, the skeg is of 3mm birch ply and is one piece part of the keel, should I shape to leading edge in the way I will shape the rudder, no mention of this in the instructions? The lead bulb will be fitted to this.

Now to start the deck and cabin all of which will be varnished. :-))

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:54:45 am »

Crisis time  >>:-(

Where can I acquire some 'Jib leading edge tape'? the tape supplied with the kit has been used by yours truly for something else  {:-{ thought it was masking tape. Idiot. Strange stuff, very fine material quite strong and about 8mm wide it is very sticky.

Also I have seen on a 'Robbe' kit recently the leading edge of the jib in an envelope of sail material with the forestay running through it, looks very tidy and maybe worth considering. Anybody any thoughts on that idea.

Thanks Chris G 

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:44:19 pm »

@Chris G:
That would be luff tape perhaps... One way to do a jib luff pocket if you are making the sail is to cut the cloth a bit larger 10 mm or so and fold it over, then stick it with sail tape...

Not sure on your situation, working with a kit perhaps?
The tapes mentioned should be available from an RC supplier in your area I would think....

Amateur at work...

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 03:11:49 pm »

You are right of course 'luff tape', I have not seen them on any of our web sites but that does not mean that they are not there. I might get some ideas from a large model boat show running this weekend.
Yes it is a kit and yes the sails are pre cut so no opportunity to cut oversize but will remember this when I make my next which I am thinking might be 'scratch'.
Thanks for your help Chris G

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 04:03:45 pm »

Nylet will probably do luff tape along with the other sail suppliers.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »

Thanks Ned,  Nylett seem to have just about everything I could wish for to complete this yacht.
Not just the luff tape but some fabulous fixings. 

Thanks again Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 09:41:56 pm »

The build continues although I am lagging behind the competition. It is not as easy as I had imagined and there are some quite annoying little bits to make life difficult. Watch out future builders for the following:-
Sanding sealer is recommended for most of the cut wooden parts but do not do as I did coat most of the parts with sanding sealer at the beginning of the build, why >:-o you then have to use other than wood glue to achieve a really good bond.
The instructions do not advise a time for finishing whether in paint or varnish.  >:-o If you do a finish too early you spend the rest of the build trying to avoid scratches etc. When the deck is glued to the hull there is a considerable overlap, sanding this down is difficult with the hull painted.
The lead bulb was offered up to a replica of the bottom of the keel and the two halves pressed close together. The two halves were then bolted to the keel with a liberal coating of araldite. When secure the gaps were filled with P38 and painted. I am happy with this.
Overall I am happy with the model so far and thanks to Ned for advising Nylett for the luff tape they are supplying that and several modifications I have planned for the rig, more of this later.
If you do not like sanding then stay away from this kit, hours of it. >>:-(     

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pearl - the real thing!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 08:50:31 am »

Looking good and love the colour  :-))

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 10:47:16 am »

Update time. O0
The tedious job of rubbing down is almost finished with one coat of varnish applied overall with some parts of the boat having several coats. The painted finish of the hull I am happy with although the transom remains varnished as I think it would have been nearly impossible to match the hull colour. I used three types of paint on the hull after a white primer, Tamiya acrylic and Valspar enamel both of which failed to achieve any depth ending up with Humbrol enamel which seemed to do the job. Total of about 7 brushed coats. The white below the waterline is again Humbrol, 2 coats.
The cabin roof is now finished a simple task although the pale wood pre-scored for deck lines is fragile until glued and varnished, then quite robust. The cockpit interior we felt was not going work but after building them we are both amazed at their strength and perfect fit, if anything a little tight.
Starting to look seriously at the rig now that the hull is about finished. Modifications being considered to enable them to fit in the car, at about 4'6" from bottom to top, the rig will have to be detachable.  {:-{   

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 04:03:05 pm »

Very pleased to received the rigging screws and fixings from Nylet I hope that these will make the build more professional looking, will have to shorten the eyelet screws for the back stay and probably for the bow fixing but I am sure with some carefully placed Araldite the job will be a good un.  :}
We spoke to 'Puffin models' who supplied the two kits regarding the servo's and they recommended a HS311 for the steering and an HS645MG for the sail control. The HS311 being a standard servo whereas the HS645MG has extra power and speed
to pull in the sails when under load.
Both suppliers have been most helpful and we have no hesitation in recommending them both.
Now back to sanding and varnishing although the competition has commenced work on the sails, that is good as any problems she can iron out before I reach that stage. ;)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 09:09:43 am »

The painting and varnishing is now complete and I am very pleased, it has taken lots of coats of both paint and varnish but well worth the effort.
The servo's are fitted and the controls to the rudder done, the arm for the sail control is a tight fit but seems ok, time will tell. I am not sure where to position the receiver and battery box and how 'dry' {:-{ the boat will be when sailed, don't want everything shorting out in the middle of the lake. More on this subject to follow.
Now waiting for drill bits ordered online to enable the rigging to be started, more on this to follow. ;)

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 09:42:01 am »

Have to admit she looks a million dollars  :-))  Guess I'm going to have to go some to beat that  ok2

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 02:41:06 pm »

That is a grand build Chris.
If she sails half as good as she looks
she will be stunning on the water.
Just waiting to see the first mates
try at beating that finish :-))

Ned

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 05:59:02 pm »

Hey Ned - Just watch this space  :kiss:

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 06:59:39 pm »

Well fun and games today, never before rigged a model boat and was apprehensive going into the job. The new deck fittings screwed in easily with a 2.8mm drill hole each with a touch of araldite at the top of the thread for security. Opened the bottle screws halfway and proceeded to fit the halyards and shrouds to the eyelets on the mast and the bottle screws at the deck.
This all went well but not a job to be hurried.
Anyone building a Aero-naut Bella be warned when the parts list quotes widget, a, qty 10 you only get 10, maybe German efficiency but some of these parts are so small if you sneeze you loose them. Not one of the parts that I have used on this kit have there been more than the number required. You have to work tidily.
Sails to do now, reinforcing pieces and stiffeners to stick, not a job for 7pm Saturday night.

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 07:53:20 pm »

Hello Chris,

What a Posh job you are doing !!!!.
There will be tears when you first scratch her when sailing !.  >>:-(

A First Boat too - -  -

John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 09:07:59 pm »

Hello John

That had occurred to me and I must admit I do not relish scratches or maybe even worse. This is my first attempt at a sailing boat previous builds have always had a motor to eliminate hitting things although even then it has been known to happen.

Have enjoyed building her sailing her is going to be another challenge. Thanks for the kind words.

Regards Chris

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 04:10:55 pm »

I have been told that I have to finish my build blog as I am now falling behind, and looking at the blog from Pearlsfirstmate can see why. :-))
I was only hanging back waiting for the competition to ask the important questions regarding the R/C because we had both put the sail trim arm on the servo in the same way which was in fact upside down and we had both tightened the screw on the arm into the servo too tightly. Problem now righted and both yachts have silent running.
The rig was actually not difficult and the finish with the stainless fittings in place of the Aero-Naut brass rings which I thought spoiled and cheapened the build now looks good.
The sails seem to hang well, and the tightening and loosening of the sheets seems good only time will tell. Steering and rudder servo are very responsive. The receiver has been mounted as high in the boat as I dare and the 4 AA batteries are neatly stored in a beautifully painted Colemans mustard tin again hopefully out of the way of any unwanted wet stuff finding its way below. The whole lot is switched from the cockpit to alleviate the need to keep taking the lid off lakeside.
The boat actually looks good or should I say boats, they are really what we wanted, we wanted a yacht that looked like a yacht and not one of the plastic futuristic streamline design that seems popular at the moment, probably because they are very fast and ideal for class racing. 8)
If we had the space to build and store and a van instead of a car we would consider a J class, to buy 2 would also stretch the budget although a guy not a million miles away from us in Nottingham makes a fabulous hull, superb workmanship we have drooled over them at several shows.  {:-{
It is now a case of waiting until we have a spell of settled weather with moderate and steady winds with no gusts, don't want much do I {-) then it will be into the water and a completely new set of challenges. We are considering a bulk purchase of foam so we can line the edge of the lake. I can see tears and angry times ahead. <*<
That is it for now the next bit on this blog will hopefully be photo's of her in the water and not keel up. Thanks again all who have supported or helped in this build.
Merry Christmas and a fabulous 2015. Chris G     

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 04:23:50 pm »

She looks a million dollars - nice build, well done  :-))

You're just going to have to get used to a red boat in front of you!!  :} :}

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 04:32:05 pm »

Bravo Zulu. Well done both of you :-))

Two beautiful looking yachts.
Hope you have a bit of foam left after lining
the lake so you can protect the yachts from the
cut and thrust of competition on the water  {-)

Ned

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 04:37:49 pm »

You had better believe it Ned.

There will be more calls of starboard boat and water at the mark than you hear during Cowes week.

Good fun though {-) Chris G 

Stavros

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 04:46:41 pm »

One little point....you have put your batts in a nice box to keep them Waterproof BUT your reciever is out in the open so to speak....TOP TIP put it INSIDE the box or at least put it inside a baloon to keep it dry.
Oh and ENJOY your sailing as I KNOW you will  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Dave

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 05:00:57 pm »

Thanks for the tip Dave, I will try the receiver in the Mustard tin or the balloon idea seems a sound one. I did not want to encase the receiver arial in the tin suppose I could make a small hole and have it poking out, all good things to try while waiting for that perfect day.

Regards Chris G :-))
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.