Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: River class HMS Forth  (Read 957 times)

womble

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
River class HMS Forth
« on: May 05, 2022, 12:11:03 pm »

Help needed. I have just completed a scratch built model of HMS Protector (our current ice patrol ship).
 When I started over two years ago I envisioned that it might be the last model I would build – I started my first detailed scratch built Ton class minesweeper in 1956. However having been given a 3D printer for my eightieth, part way through the build, I have enjoyed the work and decided I would try another. Searching for this next model gave me the desire to build HMS Forth, a river class OPV that is on long term secondment to the
Falklands. It of much the same l.o.a. hence, at the same scale, I could run them both at the same time (from one transmitter). I currently run a 1:45 ton class with a 1:32 Gay class patrol boat, doesn’t look too stupid but not ideal.
 Problem. There are plenty of photos of river class ships on the net, from which I can scale the superstructure, but I have not been able to find any good enough to derive frames for the hull, which looks as if it has an interesting shape above and below the waterline. I know it was built at the Govan yard on the
Clyde, hence it is a BAE systems build. However I have found from long experience that if I can't find a person or title to send to, nothing ever comes back. A waste of a stamp and time whether I post or e-mail. Any source ideas would be welcome.
 Tony

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: River class HMS Forth
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 01:30:38 pm »

Readable version: Help needed. I have just completed a scratch built model of HMS Protector (our current ice patrol ship).
  When I started over two years ago I envisioned that it might be the last model I would build – I started my first detailed scratch built Ton class minesweeper in 1956. However having been given a 3D printer for my eightieth, part way through the build, I have enjoyed the work and decided I would try another. Searching for this next model gave me the desire to build HMS Forth, a river class OPV that is on long term secondment to the Falklands. It of much the same l.o.a. hence, at the same scale, I could run them both at the same time (from one transmitter). I currently run a 1:45 ton class with a 1:32 Gay class patrol boat, doesn’t look too stupid but not ideal.

Problem. There are plenty of photos of river class ships on the net, from which I can scale the superstructure, but I have not been able to find any good enough to derive frames for the hull, which looks as if it has an interesting shape above and below the waterline. I know it was built at the Govan yard on the Clyde, hence it is a BAE systems build. However I have found from long experience that if I can't find a person or title to send to, nothing ever comes back. A waste of a stamp and time whether I post or e-mail. Any source ideas would be welcome.
  Tony

Don't Assume Check

womble

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 11:22:41 am »

Had to draw my own. Most difficult I have drawn in 65 years. Complex bow and stern. Hull now ready to move to fitting out dock. Tried, but failed, to upload a picture. Time to finish this request.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 01:04:16 pm »

Hi,
I do have a Flleetscale 1/96th hull of HMS Clyde in the garage that you could use as a template if its of interest.
https://fleetscale.com/store/gb/hms-tyne-river-class-patrol-boat/168-1-96th-river-class-hull.html

Rich
Regards,

Rich

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 05:36:31 pm »

Would love to see a picture of the  HMS Protector
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.