Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is there anyone from london  (Read 2789 times)

onora

• Full Mayhemer
is there anyone from london
« on: October 14, 2014, 02:56:21 am »

Hi i was looking to see if ayone was in london and could do me a favour and photograph a ship for me in the imperial war museum! 

:-))
Banned

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: is there anyone from london
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:24:08 am »

Hi Anora, I am going there tomorrow morning.  Which ship is it you want photographed?
regards Roy

onora

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 10:31:03 pm »

Hi Roy  PM sent :-))
Banned

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 11:39:53 pm »

Hi onora you have a PM.
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:57:56 am »

Hi Onora, Will be leaving soon but the photo you showed of HMS Shffield the cruiser C24 looked to me as if the model and case were perhaps in the reserve connection and not in IWM London.

I will ask if I cannot find it.
regards Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 07:09:44 pm »

Hi Onora, well I went with my brother today, inevitably there were lots of schools there in fact there were lots of everything except naval craft.

I had already seen the large exhibits, V 1 ,aircraft, maybe not the Harrier.

I saw only one warship a splendid Dreadnought.  There was almost no reference to naval warfare!  So the guns at the entrance are a considerable proportion of the naval content.  The naval war must haved moved else where!

So no HMS Sheffield and no pictures I am afraid.
I suspect the model of MHS Sheffield you sent is in the reserve collection, which I think is housed at Chatham.

As a visit for me it was a 7 out of 10, OK but only just, my previous 2 visits to major London museums has not impressed me so I have to presume it is me.
On the other hand there were a lot off visitors  The 1914 centenary must have kindled  a lot of interest.
I looked in at the refreshments a bit 'National Trust '.  So when I left I turned right found the first pub and had an excellent fish and chip lunch.
Here endeth my 1000th. post.
regards Roy

onora

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:02:03 am »

Hi Roy, Big thank you for taking the time to have a look,  as the last thing you want to do is travel down and find that what you are looking for isnt there!!

Good to see that there are some nice fellows on the mayhem  :-))
Banned

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:23:17 pm »

Hi onora, I think you will find there are a lot of nice guys on this forum, well that is my experience .
Good luck with your quest.
regards Roy

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:07:18 am »

Roy has pretty well summed up the revamped IWM. Flash and skimpy. No real information in the main galleries at all. The only thing that impressed me was the display on the East India Company. Modern museums just seem to get more and more useless to people like us.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 11:26:08 am »

Hi Jonty, they all seem to be geared up for school visits.  Whilst I am heartilly behind education for all, it was rather dumbed down. 
I had the same response when I went to the Science museum recently, I asked for the boat gallery, there wasn't one.  Ended up spending a whole hour there!

At the IWM,the house and contents upstairs was quite good and I saw a lady turn and smile when I said to my brother that the air raid shelter built full size in the garden would probably fill up with water the way our one did when it rained.

Also this house depicted was way above the average house and would give a false impression of affluence to young people.
regards Roy

onora

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 06:11:49 pm »

Hi all I have to agree on the dumbing down!  Iguess like you said, the old days of looking at the builders models and seeing the detail and works of art are all gone for us!

I looked at a lot of revamped museums online and the one in Glasgow as been spoiled, as if you ever want to see a flying warship thats the place to go! 

As they are all in a huge glass lined wall and to see the models you have to look ad the VDU at the side while the real thing is up in the air. >>:-( >:-o <:(

They even have flying cars down the same thing, maybe its a Scottish thing, worried that they might get stolen!! ;D :}
Banned
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.