Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have a quandary!  (Read 4230 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
I have a quandary!
« on: October 15, 2014, 03:30:54 pm »

Now that my sailing trawler is almost complete, thoughts turn to the rebuild of one of my AHT's (kept the best hull and scrapped the second)

The hull used to be commercially available and the plans were drawn by David Metcalf and this is where the problem lies. The plans were drawn to 1/65th scale probably because of size constraints, the hull is 41.7 inches long. Now there are no fittings or figures available at that scale, so.... Is it going to be ok to change the scale? would the proportions look too wrong? Thinking of a man 5ft 9in tall as average, at 1/48 this comes out as 36.5mm and at 1/72 it comes out at 24.3mm.

So which way would you go scale up to 1/48 or down to 1/72 or indeed leave it as is and forego a crew and fabricate everything?

A couple of photos as a reminder, 01 and 02 are how they used to look after destruction by boy child. then 03.04.05 are photos today. I have spent the morning gutting everything to replace propshafts, rudders etc and giving the outside a machine sanding ready to begin filling the imperfections and dings.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: I have a quandary!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 05:33:56 pm »

As long as you are consistent with the scale as you build the new deck house and
add fittings, there will be few people that would ever question the scale of the model.

:-)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 07:15:00 pm »

Hi Brian
As the original scale was 1:65 the 1:72 would appear to be close for fittings etc. For the crew figures I would choose a size that looks right when stood next to the wheelhouse door these doors tend to be full height as oppose to water tight doors that I remember from my working days that you had to duck to get though, so personally I would take the height of the wheelhouse door less say 6"scale size and get the closest figures to that. Look forward to the rebuilds don't forget the photos :-))
Joe

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:28:59 pm »

Hi, Far better to be slightly smaller than bigger, Nemesis

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 04:18:12 pm »

Thanks for the helpful replies you guys. I think I have a workaround for the 1/65th scale figures. After checking around the tinterweb last night for a couple of hours, it seems that tabletop wargaming, ie napoleonics, ww2, warhammer, etc etc are about 28mm so that is fairly spot on for size. I just need to track the various suppliers websites for figures that are not 'armour plated walking war machines'  :} Deck fittings are no problem, they can be fabricated.

I did get a shock last night after checking out new propshafts and props! Shafts £8 each but Kort props (propshop) £21 each :o Even the nozzles themselves were very expensive at about £14 each. I think my first fabrication will be kort nozzles!

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 05:31:22 pm »

I was thinking that if you changed the height of the deck houses to match
1:50, or 1:72, then all the fittings could be purchased to that scale.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 06:32:46 pm »

Hi, Simon charged me £35 for mine and I needed two, £70 before I started. Honestly, if you knew the work that is entailed in making and the gear that is needed to cast, then the fettling to do afterwards. Makes you realise why they are the price the are. But you do get a superior product. I have no connection with Prop Shop apart from being a customer. Nemesis

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 08:19:46 pm »

Umi that was the way I was thinking of going, changing superstructure to fit the different scale, but it makes things simpler to leave as is now that I can source figures.

Nemesis I don't begrudge paying the price,  just amazed at how much the drivetrain is going to cost overall, two props, two shafts, two motors, going to be no change from a £100 before I start anything else. Modelling was expensive when I first started, the 23 year hiatus I have had since I originally built this craft just seems things have gone into orbit!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 10:25:29 am »

I just need to track the various suppliers websites for figures that are not 'armour plated walking war machines'  :}

How true this.  The more un-human they are,  the more they are in abundance in all the shops.  it's very difficult to get characters that are miniature proper people these days in local stores.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 09:22:51 am »

How true this.  The more un-human they are,  the more they are in abundance in all the shops.  it's very difficult to get characters that are miniature proper people these days in local stores.

Probably the market is only reflecting the social evolution of the populace.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 10:13:02 am »

Just an observation, from someone who knows nothing about tugs.

Changing from 1:65 to 1:50. A 1:50 figure would be roughly 7'9" tall.
Changing from 1:64 to 1:72. A 1:72 figure would be about 5'5" tall.

I haven't been on a ship for a long time. But last time sailing as a passenger in European waters the ship did not have a European crew. Most of the crew were about 5'5" tall.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 02:58:13 pm »

Maybe its climate change shrinking everything with the rise in temperature! who knows.
    Cheers,
       Peter. {:-{

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 04:59:19 pm »

Guys I have sourced some 28-30mm figures from the wargaming websites, they come with hard hats and overalls so will only take some minor changes to make them fit the part, so these fit with the 1/65th scale  ok.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.