Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virgin EMAIL Scam  (Read 3858 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Virgin EMAIL Scam
« on: October 19, 2014, 10:57:13 am »

I have just had the following email  purportedly from  "Virgin" 

Dear subscriber,
There was an issue with your last payment we are unable to bill for the month of September. You are required to validate your payment information to avoid service suspension and enable auto billing.
To avoid closure of your account, you are obliged to update your account for the effect.

Click here

I have telephoned the company and they confirm this  'Blitz'  today.  They have put on extra staff and upgraded the threat so I am warning everyone with a Virgin account not to click on the letter.

Hope this is of help to everyone.

Cheers

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Virgin EMAIL Scam
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 11:12:15 am »

Same for talktalk..  >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:03 am »

Well ....your Lizzie said ...down Surf.... tapped him on the shoulder with a plastic copy of Excalibur & said rise Sir Richard  :kiss: :P

Possibly the greatest exponent of franchising just about anything & everything in the 20th Century [excluding virgins that is  {-) ;D]

Didn't he start in boot car selling?  <*<

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:31:45 pm »

At the age of sixteen his first business venture was a magazine called Student.  In 1970, he set up a mail-order record business. In 1972, he opened a chain of record stores, Virgin Records,

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 12:53:26 pm »

That scam is so obvious it is Virgin on the ridiculous.  I am sure we all get loads of these every day.
Just delete them, and NEVER click on the link.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:56:32 pm »

I get them all of the time, from the bank, BT, Ebay etc just delete them

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 02:58:55 pm »

How do they score with the "Jury duty" one ?
..well can you land on this?

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 04:24:32 pm »

A few easy tips on suspect emails:  If it looks suspicious it probably is.
Think; Any genuine bank credit card or service provider knows who you are.  "Dear Customer" is a dead giveaway.
Such companies will not email you, if there is a real problem they will write on company letterhead with credential details, including your name, account number, and their address/phone number that you can check on your bills.
Look at the e-address it has come from, is it the genuine address for that company?
Hover your mouse over the link (DO NOT click it), it will be obviously bogus, probably just an ISP number.
If an "Offer" looks to good to be true, it is. They are targeting the gullible and the greedy.

There are a few cleverer ones to look out for.  ie: when about to view a video clip you get a pop up window with Adobe logo telling you your Flash Player is out of date and an "Update Now" button.  It pays to know your current Flash Player version, which is usually updated by Windows anyway.  Do not "Update", close window, and if in doubt check your version independently on Google.  Pressing "Update" will mess your computer.

Unfortunately using a computer is a bit like driving a car, it is not sufficient just to know how to operate the controls, you also have to learn road-craft to navigate the hazards.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 12:29:03 am »

Unfortunately using a computer is a bit like driving a car, it is not sufficient just to know how to operate the controls, you also have to learn road-craft to navigate the hazards.

Very well put..... I shall remember that one!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 05:03:23 pm »

Hover your mouse over the link (DO NOT click it), it will be obviously bogus, probably just an ISP number.

You need to be awere of the scammers latest trick to get past this test. There is a new top level domain now available .support

The link in the email will be smothing like https://xyzbank.support/xyzbank.com and when you put your mouse over it the address it is going to will be the same.

If you do click on the link then it will show you that it is secure because the scammer is the owner of the domain xyzbank.support and can get a valid certificate for it so you get a nice little padlock in the address bar to show its secure and there goes another test you shold be looking out for on bogus site out the window.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 07:28:36 pm »

If you have a regular bank, credit card, service provider, etc, you should know their Domain Name.

ie: //www.hsbc.co.uk/ .... etc  any misleading variants, including prefixes or suffixes in the Domain Name, will usually indicate a bogus redirect.  As I said before emails starting with "Dear Customer" are dead giveaway.

Using the driving analogy, you quickly learn to watch the road markings carefully and look out for signs of ice.

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »

Bob

I Totally agree with you but using your analogy to driving there are good drivers and bad drivers there are competent web users and and in-competent user but unfortunately there are computer users who will fall for this because the hover you mouse over rule does not apply and then when you click on the link its secure.
 I do agree the Dear Customer is another giveaway  but some of the spam lists you can now get for a few dollars will include the name of the email address owner.
 from the spammers point of view a few dollars for a list a bit of time they only need to hook one or two victims and there in profit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.