Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mont Saint Michel in dry dock  (Read 38525 times)

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer
Mont Saint Michel in dry dock
« on: October 19, 2014, 05:55:41 pm »

Hello everybody,
After a long reflexion, I've decided to build.....another ferry
The ship went out of the Dutchshipyard Van der Noord to the Netherlands on March 16th, 2002 with a length of 174 m, a width of 28.5 m, she can  carry at the speed of 22 knots 2200 passengers and  830 cars or 118 trucks as well. The  Ouistreham-Portsmouth  line on which the Mont Saint-Michel operates, is one of  the busiest Brittany-Ferries lines. I chose 1/100 scale, the same as my other Ferries, Barfleur and Brittany. My model will have 2 active bow thruster, a speed controller for each propelle, the opening of doors....
Next photos will follow

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mont Saint Michel in dry dock
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:13:02 pm »

A very interesting project. I have travelled on the ship a number of times.

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:20:04 pm »

Hello
You have picked a very nice ferry. looks like you have made a great start to your project. I assume you are doing a plank on frame . Will this make it very hard to get working bow doors ?

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:04:28 pm »

A photo I took of her back in 2006.

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:21:15 pm »

Make it fast. Brittany Lines have two new ferries coming into service in 2017. One of them will be replacing the current flagship Pont Aven. I don't know which the second is to replace. I did read that they both incorporate new energy saving propulsion systems. The Pont Aven is the ferry to Northern Spanish port of Santander, the Cap Finisterre sails to Bilbao. This is the time of year Brittany seem to dock most of the fleet  for refits now that the bulk of the holiday season is over.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:05:22 pm »

Make it fast. Brittany Lines have two new ferries coming into service in 2017. One of them will be replacing the current flagship Pont Aven. I don't know which the second is to replace. I did read that they both incorporate new energy saving propulsion systems. The Pont Aven is the ferry to Northern Spanish port of Santander, the Cap Finisterre sails to Bilbao. This is the time of year Brittany seem to dock most of the fleet  for refits now that the bulk of the holiday season is over.

Not true I'm afraid. The Pegasis project to provide one new ferry is currently on hold as the funding cannot be put together. There was never a second planned newbuild to my knowledge. As far as the remainder of the fleet is concerned, several were to have been converted to LNG but that also seems to be off as well. Normandie, Mont St Michel, Armorique, Pont Aven, Cap Finisterre and Barfleur are now due to have scrubbers fitted as a cheaper option to meet emission regs. Bretagne's engines would cost more to convert so she is likely to be shifted to the Roscoff route where she will only have to burn low sulphur fuel (diesel) for part of her voyages. She was due to be taken out of service around 2017 if the Pegasis ship was ready but all bets are off at the moment. The future of the Economie service from Portsmouth to Le Havre using Etretrat is also in doubt now that DFDS are pulling out of the route themselves.

Things are currently in a state of flux and BF are asking for an extension of the emission regs timetable as burning diesel will cost them a lot of money. 50% extra by some accounts.

Colin

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:26:28 am »

Oh, this looks very promising! I'll definitely follow this build, you build first class ferry models!
All the best!
Hama

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 02:12:56 pm »

Well that's interesting Colin and a complete U turn on Brittany's part! My info came from a leaflet on the Cap Finisterre in May, a nice coloured brochure showing where they were advancing with the fleet. Having said that any increase to the fares (northern Spain/Portsmouth or Plymouth) would I fear lose them custom. While the fare seems cheap you have to add in the price of a cabin ours in May cost us £118 on top of the fare and then the evening meal as well. The a la carte menu would cost around £60 per head for the full works! Our one way trip cost us a tad over £400 (no a la carte, just used the sandwich bar)  :o thank God its subsidised by both the trucking operation and the French government.

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 08:36:35 pm »

Hello everybody,
  I use a stapler and some wood glue to fix plank. At the end of 2 hours I can begin to remove staple. I take poplar plank of different widths to marry as good as possible  the hull.
  Sometimes, I need to use some clamp where hull is to much curve

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 08:56:56 pm »

Well that's interesting Colin and a complete U turn on Brittany's part!

I suspect that BF thought they would get a stay of execution. There has been plenty of prior warning about this.

When it comes to EU rulings, the French do tend to pick and choose which ones they comply with and seem to have come a bit unstuck in this instance!

You are quite right that the fares issue is very sensitive. The Western Channel and Spanish routes have never been cheap and a lot of people look very closely at the alternatives using Dover to Calais which entail a lot of additional driving plus the costs of overnight stops. Many people also avoid the western routes as they don't like being on a ship for long periods.

Whilst Brittany Ferries fares can be very high in peak season in particular, there are often good bargains to be had if you book ferry inclusive accommodation through them. Much of this is in their popular Normandy and Brittany regions though and there is less choice than there used to be in other regions of France. Some years ago we got a real bargain holiday with a week in a hotel with a sea view room overlooking the bay of Villefranche on the Riviera. The total cost of the holiday including overnight en route stops was less than the hotel rack rent for the week!

We still travel two or three times a year with BF, usually on short breaks or 24 hour excursions where there are good deals to be had.

Colin

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:14:06 am »

Good morning,
 Now, the hull is fully covered with board. One of the most difficult part to shape is the bow bulb, I glued 2 pieces of balsa (wood with a light density). I pasted long time to sand the hull before covering with fiberglass and epoxy resin.

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 08:11:36 pm »

Hello everybody,
 I've decided to delay epoxy resin inside the hull in order to avoid a drilled hull and to strenghen it in the same time. After that, ouside I delay few car putty coats. It took me a long time to sand it, but the result is good. It's time for me to thanks Hibou marin a Mayhem forum member, who send me several photos to improve my model. This help was welcomed specially with dry dock photos.

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 03:44:24 pm »

Very nice build!
Found this and thought it might be of interest to you, but I know you make it better yourself!
All the best!
Hama
http://m.blocket.se/stockholm/Fartygsmodell_Brittany_Ferries__Val_de_Loire_57050986.htm?ca=11&w=3

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 06:52:40 am »

Thank you Hama,
 I ' ve never seen this model before, it looks great. One of my project was to take out stabilizers from  when the boat left the quay . Each one will be connected to a micro servo.The mecanism is in brass. I have  installed  a tube upper than height in the drift line .

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 07:37:24 pm »

Hi
the build is going well. My friend Paul who made the 1:100 Finnjet made working stabilizers on his and they could retract . I know it a bit late for your model
page 11 of his photo bucket account,hope fully the link will take you there.

john
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/paularai/library/?sort=3&start=80&page=11

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 06:56:12 pm »

Thank you John for your link,
 It's pleasant to see another work from a ferry maker. It's time for me to settle rudders on the hull. I've decided to paint them before displaying in order to airbrushing each part.
 They are fixed to  the rest of the hull with araldite glue .

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 10:54:28 pm »

Lovely looking model so far. Keep up the good work. watching eagerly
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 08:56:01 pm »

Good evening,
 It 's time for me to display electricity inside the model. It took me  a long time, but I did not regret because it seems more clear. After that,I settled the rudder mecanism inside.I used one servo for each rudder. They are joined with an Y futaba wire. The stabilisator system is now completed. One of my future project is a 1/100 pilot boat. So , I ve decided to create an acces to the pilot. For that, I can control the door opening and a sailor movement.
More photos soon.

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 09:21:26 am »

Hello Everybody,
 I've forgot to tell you what a beautifull present I've received on the 24th december.... an E-mail from Brittany Ferries. I was allowed to visit the Mont Saint Michel in Cherbourg on the same day and take any photos I wished. The crew was very happy to see someone on the 24th december and ask me many things about my model. I' m  working on the the front bridge. It's hard to build just with a plan, fortunally I ve got lots of photos.

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 10:09:55 am »

Very nice "clean" build, your attention to detail is amazing!
The little sailor meeting the pilot is a nice feature!
Keep up the good work, following with great interest.
Hama

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 12:25:48 pm »

Wow!
       She is bigger than my shed, what a build. Keep the photos coming your skills put us to shame, well done great work.
              Cheers,
                  Peter. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 07:28:20 pm »

Thank you for your comments,
I've progressed on the ship front. In the same time, I 've worked on the hull in order to design the bottom door.
More photos are coming

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 09:07:37 pm »

Hi
the detail you are doing is very impressive . Your build looks great

john

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 09:05:50 pm »

Hello everybody,
 During the last days, I've worked on each side. Each one is made with plasticard sheet with 1 mm width. I took me lots of time to sand Window's angles.
More photos are coming

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 09:46:40 pm »

Now THERE'S patience for you!!!!

Lovely work there - I find that the window openings on a ship can either 'make or break' the model.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this......  :-))
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.