Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hitec 2 RNB receiver BEC activation  (Read 2905 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Hitec 2 RNB receiver BEC activation
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:39:56 am »

Hi all, just before I connect 7.2 volts into the battery socket of this receiver has anyone else used the receiver BEC in this way?
This is an old 40 Mhtz 2 ch. set I wish to use.

I was surprised it did not come on automatically, I have another receiver that does, as I had to disable a 'rival' BEC in an esc that was causing wiring to heat up.
The instruction book drawing of the circuit suggests a bit of extra wiring soldered in place and extra plug and socket connections for a new battery socket plug.
I was thinking that  for a featured advantage of the radio set it needed rather a lot of effort compared to the usual plug and play, to bring it into use.
If above correct I think I just need to coonect a red wire from drive battery positive to the rx. battery socket positive.  The black ground wires being common.

Your responses welcome.

regards Roy

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Re: Hitec 2 RNB receiver BEC activation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:56:32 am »

Hi Roy, not quite sure what you are asking but i have this setup in a boat. Acoms 40mhz 2 channel, 7.2v stick battery ( no other battery ) Mtonics Viper15 Marine speed controller, one servo ( rudder ). The servo plugs into the receiver, the speed controller plugs into the receiver, no other wires used or cut and hey presto!! it all works fine. Anything else i can help you with? regards, Dave.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:11:05 am »

Hi davenotdone, I think that the Viper esc supplies the receiver when you turn the esc switch on.
I am using an old Hitec non BEC esc. 
This is the combination I want to use.

I agree I could make things easier by using a BEC esc.
Thanks for your interest.
regards Roy

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:14:20 am »

No problem Roy, sorry i couldn't help, regrds, Dave.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:15:53 am »

Roy,

My understanding of the term BEC in relation to receivers is that it is possible to input a voltage higher than 4 x AA Alkaline cells to the battery socket of the receiver, and the receiver will only out put a max of 6 volts to any servos etc connected to it.

A BEC in a ESC on the other hand is designed to supply 6 volts to the receiver, thus eliminating the need for a separate battery.

HTH

Barrie

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:04:45 am »

Not having any faith at all in receivers with BEC printed on them, I would be inclined to insert a separate BEC, or better yet, a UBEC into the wiring between the battery and radio.  I ordered a batch of UBECs at a fairly silly price considering that they are a switching device and capable of supplying 3A, and have the right plug on the end to connect to a receiver.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:10:30 am »

I'd very much go along with Malcolm, sooner than blow up a perfectly good receiver. Here's one http://www.componentshop.co.uk/3a-max-5a-universal-battery-eliminator-circuit-ubec.html
DM

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 03:19:47 pm »

hi to my responders, thanks for your input.  The news is good! 
I connected a single lead from the +ve i/p lead to the esc this side of the plug where the drive battery is connected. I utilised a rx battery connector wire and switch and switched on. 
Everything worled nicely on 7.2 volts.

Then I onnected an 8.4 volt NiMh battery and switched on and all running nicely.  No increase in servo response which suggests that there is a steady voltage coming from the BEC in the rx.  I think the 8.4 volt battery would have fried the insides of the rx otherwise.

There was no need for a 2nd. black lead as the common connection was there already.

When I think back to seeing model boats on display I recall occasionally seeing a single flying red lead into the receiver, so the main thing is it does work.

kind regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.