Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Neptun and Sydney Star variations, what have you done to yours?  (Read 4674 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer

As an owner of a Graupner Neptun, and Graupner Sydney star, I was wandering what variations of the kits are out there, My neptun is standard, albeit with navigation lights.  My sydney Star on the other hand uses just the hull and super structure she has been done as a Nuclear Indusry ship.

what have you done to yours??

Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Johan

I'm in the middle of stretching a Graupner Neptune by some 20 cm (just under 8") for a friend.
He's gonna give it a total new superstructure, something like a military logistics ship, with a small gun and a helipad.
Haven't got any pics so far, but I'll try to take some next week.
Greetz, Johan  ;)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer

sounds good, keep us posted, though at 20cm longer, thats gonna push it close to the sydney star :)

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Once a model boater, always a model boater!

Neptun was my first boat back in 1993.

Had great fun sailing it in all weathers.  I never altered it from the kit, but the ability to move the superstructure around did cause a few upsets at a steering competition.  My brother's boat was out of action on the day which meant he couldn't take part,after I had completed my round with the boat having the superstructure in the middle, he sailed the Neptun with the superstructure moved to the rear.

This almost resulted in us being disqualified for using the same boat, until it was pointed out that although they had the same name, the completely different arrangement of "both" ships did indeed make them separate models!!

Not that it made much difference to the outcome of the competetion, but it was a nice feeling to get one over on the judges!! ;D ;D

Craig

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

I've got the Neptun kit too and I was going to lengthen my hull too, modify the superstructure to a more modern square shape... I wonder if it possible to change the scale so it looks bigger ...... is that larger or smaller scale  ??? ???

Got any picture Johan?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer

well with mine being lit up, and finely ballanced, it is fixed with the island at the rear

Johan

Sorry Admin, no pictures so far, I'm here at Naval College, and my camera is still at home.
I'm going home this weekend, and when I return to Antwerp, I'll take some pics.
For the scale, my friend here made some drawings on 3D max of a 'grey funnel line' ship, with a helipad aft, a hangar, squarish superstructure, modern bridge, and a small gun (something like an Oto Melara 76mm)
He's intention is to build it at 1/72, propably with an Airfix Lynx on the helipad.
It is roughly based on an exesting Belgian Navy ship, BNS Godetia, a small logistic support ship for minesweepers and -hunters.
It's even smaller than a frigat, but has a reasonable load capacity.
Here's a pic of the real ship, there are some more on the site: http://www.mil.be/navycomp/units/index.asp?LAN=nl&FILE=unittext&ID=686&PAGE=1&MENU=0
Greetz, Johan? ;)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer

I've got the Neptun kit too and I was going to lengthen my hull too, modify the superstructure to a more modern square shape... I wonder if it possible to change the scale so it looks bigger ...... is that larger or smaller scale? ??? ???

Got any picture Johan?

for that martin, you may be better using the sydney star, picture = sydney star and graupner neptun side by side.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

Love to but I already have the Neptun kit .... but if I dare not bring in another big box that doesn't come from Ikea :-\
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer

have you even started building her yet martin??? it only took 2 weeks for celestia to go from box to water

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

2 weeks!  :o  -  It takes me 2 weeks just open a box!!!!  ;)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer

yep thats what i said, 2 weeks from box to water! speak to the guys at model world, they sold me her :) thanks mark n mark for her, she is a good ship on the water

Johan

Sorry, still no pics, they're already taken, but not on the PC yet.
Question, how do I include pictures in my post? I can't find  a how-to, might have missed it.
As soon as I find out, I'll post some over here.
   Greetz, Johan

hama

Re: Graupner Neptun and Sydney Star variations, what have you done to yours?
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 11:11:26 pm »

Hello!
Couldīnt resist to pick up this thred when I found it. Several years ago I bought only the hull for the Graupner Neptun, tried to make it into 1:160 scale Swedish reefer. I too think about stretching her now and then and after the first seatrials I even thought about installing a bowthruster. Unfortunatly it seems like the shipyard where sheīs beeing built has stopped all activity, thinking about towing her to another shipyard for completion! Anyway, the Neptun has a lovely hull, just a few cm too short. Sorry for the poor pictures.( yes, there are some money on the table, donīt know why or were they went ???)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.