Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint and boat stand  (Read 12155 times)

inertia

Re: Paint and boat stand
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 12:05:47 am »

One primer/filler; two primer; two gloss.
Dry sanded between every coat except the gloss.
24 hours minimum left between each, model in very warm room.
No solvent smell remaining before recoating.
Wouldn't rub down to GRP skin if it didn't need it. Life's tedious enough already.
Not a professional painter but I also have a tee-shirt.

Stavros

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 07:55:57 am »

ok right then what colour primer did you use .....I have had a slight problem with the white Halfords primer being soft just wondering if this is the common denominator

Dave

inertia

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 08:53:01 am »

Primer/Filler is yellow. Other primer coats white, red and grey (I'd forgotten it has an anti-foul red hull).

Stavros

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 11:08:45 am »

If the white is on the hull where the boat sits on the hull then it is the White primer that is the common denominator....did a small job on my m8's van this weekend just with aerosols...he had bought the paint form Halfords.....left the primer well over 24hrs before rubbing down, the white primer was soft to rub down and was picking up on the rubbing down paper.......rubbed it all off then recoated it with grey primer.......with no problems at all ....rubbed down in 4 hours and top coat applied with NO problems at all.....now slightly worried about  a hull that I used the white primer on!!!!!

Dave........scratching his head to find an ans

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 12:42:37 pm »

So stratching my head to remember what I did;
1 - primed with about 3 coats of halfords white primer in Sept/Oct 2014
2 - top coat - about 3 coats of Halfords Applicance Gloss White (AGW) Oct 2014 - I would imagine I left at least a week between primer and top coat
3 - stand with mousemat foam marked hull so flatted down and recoated - I'd guess 2-3 more coats of AGW - approx Jan 2015
4 - stand this time with felt marked hull so flatted down and resprayed with Halfords Ford Glacier White in late April/early May 15
5- stand marked hull again - this time upside down and ... you're up to date.

So as I didn't rub back to the GRP each time the culprit from what Dave (Stavros) suggests would seem to be the white primer if not the AGW as well.

Given that, do you think I'm back to a complete paint strip and start again with grey primer?  If that's the solution, how well will a white top coat work over grey primer?  Also, is Fairy Power Spray ok with 'styrene?

Cheers
Phil

Stavros

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 01:38:45 pm »

Phil

Right fairy power spray I haven't personally had a problem with it at all on grp styrene or metal...as for putting white over a grey primer there will be No PROBLEM AT ALL DOING THIS.........If I don't have grey primer,i use a green primer or beige and white will cover them all....the ONLY time you have to really worry with the colour of primer is when you are putting translucent pearls on.Any SOLID colour then you don't and will not have a problem.

Right Personally I would get rid of the paint on the hull and prime with grey primer..... If you have a Euro car parts store in the area you live pop in and get some of their grey professional filler primer ...this stuff

3 good coats rub down and top coat...you can actually recoat in around 2hours if it is a warm day...Personally I would leave it 24 hours...be warned it is around £12 a tin BUT well worth it....most body shops these days use those or a similar product for scratch repairs as it is quick and it is darned good stuff.
Simply use your Halfords top coat over it they are 100% compatible

Dave

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 07:27:14 pm »

Fantastic, thanks Dave. 

And, there's a Euro Car Parts store just down the road, as I've just discovered.
Phil

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 06:30:40 pm »

Right, so heeding advice, I have modified the stand as per Kenny's suggestion.  This still left a mark on the keel but less so on the hull sides.  I've also bought the primer suggested by Dave.  I'm hoping the combination of new stand and better primer will do the job...

The only problem is that Fairy Power Spray isn't working at all as a paint stripper.  Do I bite the bullet and get a big can of celulose thinners or is there a better alternative.
Cheers

Phil

Stavros

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 09:16:05 pm »

well I have just sprayed a Hull and it is still in primer.....loaded far to much paint on it in one go....runs everywhere....placed on stand NO protection.........purely as an experiment...actually put on stand 4 hours after painting and NOT A MARK

Dave

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 09:58:29 pm »

Dave, I've not tried the primer you suggested yet; thought I'd try a new stand on the old paint first just to see.
Any suggestions for a paint stripper other than fairy power spray which didn't work at all!
Phil

Stavros

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 10:39:41 pm »

TBH with you all I would do is to use some 180 grit on it get rid of ALL the stand marks and feather them in prime with the primer I told you 400 then paint it ...I used the Yellow filler primer that Halfords use and I really plastered it on left it 4 hours and threw the boat on the stand with NO detrimental effect......I ALSO tried a piece of wood and used the WHITE primer....GUESS what....it marked after 24hrs

Dave

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2015, 08:19:39 am »

Pipster, you say the paint was on the boat for weeks but still it left marks whilst in the stand!

How bad are the marks? Do they look like scratches or do they look like something melted?

Scratches..... Have you been grinding near your stand?

Melted (for want of a better word) ... After a reasonable drying time this shouldn't happen which suggests a chemical reaction. Not between the stand but between paints. This reaction will allow the surface to appear dry but between layers it's still soft. Any weight applied then causes marks.

Are you using different makes of paint?
Are you mixing different types of paint.
Are you mixing one make/type of primer with another make/type of paint.

The reason I am asking is because when I painted my boat I used all the same kinds of acrylic rattle cans. All the same make. I sprayed gray primer onto the hull in the sunshine, left it 15 mins  :embarrassed:  and then painted the colour. I left it 24hours to harden then did the second colour, another 24hours and the final colour. After a further 24 hours I applied a same make clear lacquer. The result is a hard layer of smooth  paint that doesn't mark in the stand. The stand is a wooden stand with foam pipe insulation. (See Lena my first boat build thread)

I feel the problem is A, an incorrect mix of paints or paint types or B, (less likely) a bad tin of paint. Good luck in finding out and sorting this annoying problem..... U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

inertia

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2015, 09:14:01 am »

As an adjunct to this, I repainted the lobster boat using the same paint system (all Halfords, including white primer) and put some pads of thick felt floor protector onto the stand. Since then I've painted three more models the same way and used thin self-adhesive felt for the stands. So far none has shown any effects, leading me to suspect that it was most likely something in or on the foam I used originally. Weird, innit?
DM

Stavros

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2015, 11:24:31 am »

White primer is the culprit....tried drying it with an ibfrared proffesional heater in the garage as an expetiment ...oversrayed with gloss same treatment      still marks in 48hours.....grey primer used no marks.....not a mux of makes at all..
.....culprit in my proffesional opinion 

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2015, 08:13:08 pm »

Thanks again Dave. Rub down of paint has started; I'm regretting putting so many coats of paint now!  I'll let you know hw I get on.

U2, all paints, primer and top coats are halfords acrylics. In Dave m's words, weird!
Phil

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2015, 07:44:30 pm »

So good news and bad news.  The Triple QX primer Dave recommended seems to have worked; hooray!  I got back to the GRP where the stand goes, having first modded the stand design following everyone's suggestions.  Grey primer followed by Halfords glacoer white ( Ithink) and then left the boats fully loaded for the weekend on the stand and no marks.

So, a huge step forward - looks like Halfords white primer is the culprit as you suggested Dave.

But, the Triple QX primer did not mix with the paint I'd left on the hull - it crazed and cracked like crazy.  So, I've now taken the whole hull back to bare GRP and will hopefully be priming this week - and top coating if time and weather permits.

Phil

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2015, 11:43:54 pm »

So, I've now taken the whole hull back to bare GRP
Phil

I know very well indeed how that feels - so do my finger ends.  <:(

...well, at least you're finally on the right track.  :-))

...and a big WELL DONE to Stavros for getting you there O0

Regards,

Ray.

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 01:07:36 am »

hi all   i have a qestion

what is better for the boat stand,  i use foam pipes on mostly all the stands  but on my speedline severn and couple others when i lift the boat off its stand with the straps thne foam sticks to the hull,  i was thinking of super glueing the foam to the stand  or is it best with felt pads etc,  i think my rother stand is felt

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2016, 08:57:06 am »

This has been raised before.   I use the felt part of self adhesive Velcro.   Works for me.  pete

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2016, 09:06:08 am »

I use foam lagging pipes fixed with contact adhesive then sprayed and polished with car cockpit/dashboard shine.
This stops any stickiness but still cushions the boat.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2016, 03:10:52 pm »

wont the velcro pull off if boat not been used for a while ?

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2016, 03:41:27 pm »

I have encountered this problem in the past. I think it is down to reactions to certain types of foam, rather than the paint. For heavy boats I have started using leather strips nailed to the sides of the stand and folded over the contact point, working so far.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2016, 03:53:49 pm »

my rother stand as like velcro on,  but  likes of my aurn and severn use foam,  might wirth trying velcro,   still wouldnt hurt pant on big boats as its velcro rhat be touching the paint

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2016, 05:01:28 pm »

with velcro  is same type you put on your batterys or do you use diffrent type for a wooden stand
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.