Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Krick Lisa M  (Read 22132 times)

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Krick Lisa M
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2014, 02:05:17 pm »

Latest progress - the deck/hull edge is sanded down nicely. (NB - that's not a gap near the bow, it's sanded-down epoxy.) The roof has been glued onto the cabin. The well deck assembly has been attached.
A word about this -
When I tack-glued the 4 parts of this well deck together, I found the assembly was a few millimetres too wide to fit in the opening in the deck. So, I took it apart and shaved a little off the sides of the bottom and rear pieces, then glued it back together, making sure it fitted snugly inside the coaming. I then put glue around the rear edges where it fits up against the cabin rear wall, and clamped it to the coaming so that it was nice and level. I then slid the cabin structure in and up against the well, leaving it all in place while the glue set. This process has ensured that everything fits properly in the deck aperture, and there is no gap round the well deck walls for water to get into. The whole resulting unit slides in and out beautifully now!  :D {-)

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2014, 02:29:02 pm »

Update - I've just glued three strips of ply around the top edges of the well deck walls. This serves two purposes - it ensures a good water-tight join AND it stops the well deck being pushed too far down when fitting the structure into the deck. I think this is a good amendment to the way the kit is put together, though I think that originally it was expected that the tops of the well deck and the coaming were supposed to be flush, and the rail would do this job. However, they won't fit flush with the well deck meeting the cabin rear wall where it is supposed to. Hope this is clear enough.

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2014, 03:43:01 pm »

A few detail bits done

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2014, 03:43:54 pm »

I made a slightly more elaborate control panel out of thin ply.

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2014, 03:49:26 pm »

I've assembled the bridge. The front three sloping pieces took quite a bit of trimming to get them into place.

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2014, 06:23:58 pm »

I'm impressed with this Krick kit so far! I think I might go for another one later - possibly the harbour launch Felix:

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2014, 02:09:42 pm »

Hull and superstructure painted

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »

Detailing finished and awaiting installation once the painting is finished.

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2014, 02:15:46 pm »

I made the control panel out of plasticard, to which I attached the supplied stickers. (This is cruelly about 4x actual size!)
I made the well deck edges and varnished them - it looks better than all painted.

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2014, 02:58:11 pm »

Finished the boat! Here's the internal deck that I added to (a) hide all the working bits and (b) improve water-proofing.

Graham Smith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2014, 03:05:29 pm »

More pictures of the finished Lisa M.
Notes: The radar support turned out a little too wide ( which I only found out after I'd made it ) and it forces the sides of the fly-bridge out a little. If making this again I would reduce the width of this part by about 6-8mm or so first.
I didn't make the ladder as per the instructions, either. I wasn't happy with the original design, which had the right-hand ladder upright incorporated into the rail on the back of the fly-bridge.
When sailing, it's a touch top-heavy and tends to heel over quite a bit if you make a sharp turn at speed. It does sail nicely, however, (and it's quick!) so if I'm careful this won't be a problem. Water sloshes over the deck quite a bit, so the addition of the internal deck is a good idea. I've also put rubber draught excluder round the edge of this to improve water-proofing.

Summary - it's been a satisfying build, with few problems to worry about. Looking forward to my next Krick kit - the Felix.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.