Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cox Motors  (Read 1837 times)

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
Cox Motors
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:38:44 am »

I am considering building another model 'plane over the winter. It is the Candice, originally powered by a pusher  Cox 049 Motor. I want to go electric and wondered which Brushless would do the business. I would use 2s Lipos, as I already have them to Hand. So any ideas People? I would buy from H----K---,as it is here in Germany.It is the "Cooking" Cox, not the high powered(?) screamer. Although they all screamed! Must have caused more agro than any other Motor!

inertia

Re: Cox Motors
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:55:11 am »

I was totally gobsmacked to find that you can still buy the Cox Babe Bee 049 new - albeit not for the £3 19s 6d that I used to pay for them. Good old ROC, of course. Here's the link, from which you can obtain prop and RPM details to apply to suitable brushless motors. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__45400__Cox_049_Babe_Bee_Glow_Engine.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw2reiBRCaobK3udOj-Q4SJACXWyYmYevH81v5WHSvXPqg5WK1uCarBVfwMRHokpHFHEsyRRoCN7zw_wcB
I've always fancied building another Ken Willard/Top Flite "Schoolboy" with a brushless TD 010-equivalent and lightweight radio. I found a real live Cox TeeDee 010 currently for sale on the US E-Bay site...........new and boxed, the present bid is $163!!
DM

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:46:40 am »

$163 for a Cox motor ? That's the definition of nostalgia.

Anyway to find a BL on HK, there's the search engine:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/brushless_motor_rc_data.asp

Something around 2000 or 2500kv if you want to match the original Cox motor. Or maybe something slower turning a bigger prop.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:53:26 am »

I would go for a 28mm outrunner with suitable KV for the prop and voltage you want to run at.

The cox 049 ran a fairly small prop, so if you want something similar, you will require a fairly high revving motor.

To give some idea, I have a small 33" flying wing, which I run with a 6x3 prop on 2s lipo, with a 28mm 2900kv outrunner, and it cranks along nicely, capable of full vertical flight, outside loops etc. It gives me about 15 minutes flying time, although I limit it to about 10 minutes on a 1300mAh pack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.