Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which kit  (Read 2039 times)

neverupright

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
which kit
« on: October 27, 2014, 12:59:35 pm »

Hi all
this has probably been asked a thousand times, but some questions are worth repeating. I have never built a model boat (other then plastic) from a kit before. I have built a hull for a yacht from plans, using I believe what they call the planking method. It turned out quite good and I really enjoyed building it. I now want to build a kit for a radio controlled boat. I want a kit 1/25th scale or larger, a working vessel ie tug, trawler or similar. A kit that is fairly basic, but can be added to with fine detail, as I get more experienced. I would prefer it to come with motor, prop and propeller. it will be on display at home, so a good looking, interesting kit is essential. the type of kit I think fits the bill is something like Our Lass trawler kit (though not sure what scale she is). But to be honest this way out of what I have available to spend on a 1st kit + it's more then likely above my present skill level. So a lot simpler vessel would probably fit the bill, but one that could be made as interesting. Price, been a true Yorkshire man, I am tighter then a tight thing when it comes to spending, seriously though, I do not have a fortune to spend, so if I could keep it to as close to double figures as possible that would help. Enough waffling now, I realise I am asking for a lot for very little, hopefully some one can offer some words of wisdom.

cheers
carl

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
Re: which kit
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:15:54 pm »

WYFORCE  , Al KHUBAR   ( MODEL SLIPWAY )  is very good kits

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:19:13 pm »

Hi Carl,  my next kit i like the look of is the Speedline pilot boat. £99,  not bad for what you get and there is a blog of someone building it on internet.
Or Cornwall Model Boats site, Krick police boat, £130 i think including motor! Or Marks Model Boat Bits, pilot boat for about £60 but of course basic at that price.All three look good to me for different reasons but all  chunky and simple but put on as much detail as you like!!  All would suit single motor and prop and look like some thing real. I have just nearly finished converting two RTR boats to proper radio and detail ( Seaport tug and a police boat ) and am allso now looking for a kit for my next build. Hope to have given you something to think about, regards, Dave.

klz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:42 pm »

I can recommend Model slipway kits, I had only built plastic kits and wanted something else so got a Model Slipway Shamrock I am about halfway through the build it has been going well instructions are easy to follow.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:39:34 pm »

I agree, Model Slipway kits are hard to beat. The instructions are very clear and their after sales service is second to none, plus they offer a good range of models to choose from.

Peter.

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:43:36 pm »

Hi Never,have a look at a Krick Lisa M,a sort of 'Florida Keys Fishing Boat'.ABS Hull,laser cut woodwork,motor,propshaft,prop,rudder,all bits and pieces as well,great plans/instructions and good quality too....German.Plenty of scope to add more details and probably within your range.Just a suggestion.Bob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.