Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Seahunter- The Big Refit!  (Read 150593 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: The Seahunter- the big refit begins....
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 11:03:14 am »

'blinking!' Hell. The update I posted yesterday is missing!

All is explained by Martin in Chit Chat section..

ken

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 11:10:46 am »

I'm not going to do a complete resume of it, because I can't remember what I posted! I'll just sum up.

The first photo, lower forecastle sub deck in place (all the decks will be clad in plasticard to represent the smoothness of steel. I had to complete the winchhouse bulkheads because they support the deck, so a big hole in the middle.

The sharkjaws are no more! After spending 20 hours re-making them complete with a 3 way pivot, on trying to install them they fouled the motor for the stern thruster. I'm unable to move that motor as the thruster is bonded in, so the jaws had to go, the towing pins are still a work in progress.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2015, 11:14:19 am »

Moving on I have had to build the two tugger winches. They are located behind the rear bulkhead so need to be in situ before the wall can be glued into place. So the photo shows four disks for the drum ends, I would have preferred to cut these with a rotary disk cutter or dividers, I've not been able to find a set, so had to resort to cutting freehand and sanding. Next photo are the four A frames that suppor the drums.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2015, 11:35:41 am »

These don't need too much detail as they won't be seen unless somebody goes in with an endoscope, which by the way I saw on sale yesterday in Aldi for 45€ so even cheaper in the UK, if you need to view in tight places. So the next photo is the two drums assembled using dowel for the drum centres.

Then the next photo shows the A frame completed and bearing supports in place along with a hydraulic pump and pipes for operation

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2015, 11:38:06 am »

Even the level of detail I have added is wasted really, here are two photo's of the first winch in place behind the bulkhead-this is not yet fastened into place.

I may add lighting inside these siderooms just to highlight the winches, I'm not sure yet.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2015, 11:39:19 am »

Lastly the first tugger winch painted and with tow rope on the drum.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 02:18:15 pm »

Time for an update methinks......

The prop tubes are now in place with bearing housings. The next two photo's I have FINALLY  had my propellors delivered 27 days after placing the order! You would think I was living on a Pacific atoll not in Spain. Anyways, I settled for two 174 pattern 60mm 4 blade props. These cost £42 Kort props came in at just over £90, a price I couldn't justify when it shows up on the bank statement!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2015, 02:24:48 pm »

In the last photo you may notice what appear to be cable hawsers under the stern roller, these are actually drains for the roller compartment, on the actual vessel this is a series of 5 vents, I used 3 oversize to make sure it drains any water away quickly, the roller box being sealed from the rest of the hull.

Next photo is the beginning of adding detail to the forecastle deck, bulwark supports, snorkel vents, etc. The next two are for your opinions. I bought a commercial winch for the twin anchor chains and warping drums. Although to scale it just looks too small, however putting a 1/72nd figure next to it, and the winch is over head height, just a weird optical illusion. The winch isn't attached just placed their for you to give opinion on.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2015, 02:32:28 pm »

Also done this week is the coaming for the main superstructure, this can be seen in the last couple of photo's as well.

Then big fanfare and roll of drums........... the hull has primer on!!!!

It has had a first coat of primer, rubbed down and then any imperfections got filler, then rubbed down again. You see it here with a second coat of primer, which I was happy with outside in daylight. However seeing some of these closeup photo's, I may add some more filler, you can see around the bow it may need more 'flatting'

Next up will be to primer the decks and add the work deck bulwark, when that is in place you just may see in the next photo's the hull in its finished paintwork, but I'm not making any promises %%

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2015, 07:49:46 pm »

That's looking nice Brian and I think that the winch looks fine too.  I would not have guessed that it was not part of the kit  :-))   I'm also going to steal your idea of using eyelets where the anchor chains runs through the deck - genius  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2015, 05:00:27 pm »

OK time for a short update as all will be revealed.

As this has progressed I have realised some external parts are best added before I go any further. So I had a couple of watertight doors to make up as seen in the first couple of photos.

Normally I would make one and then a mold from that so all my doors could be cast in resin and look the same. However I don't have any mold material or casting resin over here, so I had to cut the 6 doors I need from styrene sheet. Then make the hinges and external handles.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2015, 05:04:23 pm »

The handes were made by coiling a length of plastic covered .25mm wire around a 5mm rod like a spring. Then slide off the rod and snip through them all the loops at once, giving me the 6 loops I needed. Then a brass pin in the centre of the doors and 6 'Y' shapes cut out of thin styrene for the spokes. I realise they should be 5 spoke but as these are eventually almost out of sight when the ship is completed I decided giving the impression of spokes was enough.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2015, 05:08:00 pm »

A substantial part of the superstructure has been added, as explained previously because it was needed as support for the upper forecastle deck. The rear bulkhead is now in place- the green stuff is squadron green filler. You will also see some more detail added to the focsl, three mushroom vents, these have been positioned as seen on a reference photo I have, I thought it odd that they are above the bulwark but that is how they are on the photo.

In the second photo you should just be able to see the engine coolant exhausts. I've not seen it in models before but I'm sure there are plenty out there. When the boat is afloat it will pump water to the two outlets via one of the two onboard pumps, one for these vents and the other for the fire monitors. As an afterthought, I just may plumb these vents through coils around the two 770 motors I am installing- may as well cool whats installed just like the real thing!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2015, 05:19:50 pm »

The vents are better seen in this photo. Once on the water a secondary switch can be flipped to turn on this pump secondary to the main switch. A failsafe so the pump is not running 'dry' when the main power is turned on.

I hummed and hawed about adding bilge keels, asking advice down in the research forum, because the plans I had didn't show any. The final proof came from a photo I dug up on t'internet of a sister ship being launched, the bilge keels could be seen. So a late addition was the bilge keels which I have finally finished today.

I made these up from 4mm timber and steamed to the shape of the hull. Then I bolted throught the hull with 2mm brass bolts. I used epoxy glue between the keels and the hull. That set overnight with a thin film of P38 filler to give them some shape. Today I coated them in polyester resin (grp resin) That has set up and has been sanded to profile, so they are well sealed and attached to the hull.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2015, 05:26:45 pm »

So I'll leave with the last four photos. First up the port bilge keel with the resin over the filler. Next are the two waterproof doors on the starboard side, the brown is overspray from the first couple of hull coatings along with the green filler on show again. Then llastly the starboard bilge keel.

I still have some supports to add under this deck overhang and then its ready for the final primer all over. All that can bee seen in these photo's can now be primered. Once the red oxide has set up It can be masked below the waterline, and then above can be primered in white, before the top coat of green for the hull and white for the superstructure. Those photos should appear later this week!

I finally  feel as though I am getting somewhere with this build!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2015, 05:41:09 pm »

The thing I like most about models is detailing, even at this stage I can see yours is going to be good, enjoying your refit Brian, I ll keep following.  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2015, 05:55:03 pm »

The thing I like most about models is detailing, even at this stage I can see yours is going to be good, enjoying your refit Brian, I ll keep following.  :-))

I liken it to art Joe, the hull is just the canvast to add the detail to. I love the detail that is what makes a model and it is what gives me the most enjoyment doing. I hope this turns out as good as your build did!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2015, 07:44:04 pm »

I liken it to art Joe, the hull is just the canvast to add the detail to.

Couldn't have put it better Brian. :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2015, 10:47:30 am »

A quick midweek update. I am on course to have the hull in its final colour by the coming weekend, I just need to finish a few details first. In the last update I mentioned detail that won't be normally seen when the model is finished- that is unless you are looking for it with a magnifying glass!

The first three photo's are examples of that detail, the 'T' beams that support the overhang of the focsl decl, these were made with 4mm strips of styrene glued to the t shape then cut to length once set. Two of the watertight doors in place along with a companionway (handrails to be added much later)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:53 am »

The next three shots are of the hull now fully primered as far as I can go, almost ready to have its 'half and half' top paint added, the primer acts as the below waterline red oxide coating. I need to mask off the lower half and then respray above the waterline with white primer and then topcoat, all the steelwork on the decks will be light grey when finished.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2015, 10:57:38 am »

So this is what I have been doing for the last couple of days, making up the workdeck bulwarks and capping rails. These have been cut from styrens sheet and then bonded to the deck. The first photo is half of the bulwark waiting to be lengthened with a second strip.second photos shows the starboard rail on the deck for comparison waiting to be attached, today will be the port sides turn.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2015, 11:03:34 am »

Now the last two photo's for this update. The starboard rail now glued to the deck with its capping rail and internal supports. These struts are another of those details you won't see when finished. Once the towing rails are installed along with their walls and the rail supports they will be mostly hidden from view. I like using the Squadron green putty as filler because of the colour, its much easier to see than the white filler. Most of what you see in the photo's is actually staining, the putty is celluslose based so 'eat's into the surface making for a stronger bond.

So thats it, hopefully the next photo's will be the completed hull :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2015, 12:06:18 pm »

Lovely work Brian - What colour are you going to paint the top half?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:34 pm »

Hi Mark, the top half is mid green with superstructure in white. Decks and inside of bulwarks wid grey.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 08:04:11 pm »

Thats going to look great I can't wait to see the main colours on your build.  Good luck with the painting Brian oh and the cleaning up  :o   That overspray is something to behold  {-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.