Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Seahunter- The Big Refit!  (Read 150522 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: The Seahunter- the big refit begins....
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2015, 08:18:58 pm »

I'm not worried about the overspray Mark. its all in places that need to be primered anyway so it gets rubbed down before any more paint goes on. When it gets down to the nitty gritty I move from rattle cans to my airbrush. Then when it's ready for clearcoat I'll move up to my 1/4 cup spraygun to get an all over cover- but that's way in the future.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2015, 08:26:04 pm »

Sorry Brian I was not thinking about the paint that goes on the boat but the paint that doesn't.  The mess I made when I sprayed mine - well I did it indoors so say no more  :o   Fortunately for me my missus is so understanding as I don't have a garden or shed so its indoors for me or no where!  Mind you its nice and warm so it goes on great  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:14 am »

LOL I see what you mean! Fortunately I have plenty of outside space for the rattle can spraying. The airbrush is used indoors but its such small amounts of paint there is not much smell generated, I can keep it down to the spare room. What I tend to do is spray outside, even when its too cold for the paint. Allow it to flash over so it can be carefully handled and then move it inside for the volatiles to evaporate in the warmth.

Now you have a really understanding wife if she lets you to grp (fibreglass) layup inside! I tend to do this inside at this time of the year but only when she goes out shopping :D When she comes home and plays merry hell about it but its too late then, the smell hangs around for days :}

Get yourself down to the supermarket and ask them for a large cardboard box, this can be used as a mini spary booth to contain your overspray. When its not in use you can undo the flaps and fold it flat for storage!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2015, 11:26:59 am »

Right another mini update- I'm on course to spray the colour coat tomorrow O0 O0 but I thought I'd post a couple more photo's of stuff I'd originally decided to leave out.

First is that for most things a jig is useful! Butt joining plasticard is one of those times, so to join the cap rail to the bulwark both of which offer minimal joining surface as the card is only 0.8mm thickness, I used an offcut of aluminium angle. The card can be clipped to it with various clips as seen in the photo's and then your weld (glue) medium can be added. I use Dichloromethane, this can be had from your model shop under the brand name Plastic Weld- about £6 for a 57ml bottle. Or you can go to Ebay and buy 1litre of the stuff for about £8, because its being sold for industrial use, you know it makes sense! This stuff evaporates quite easily so leaving the cap off a small bottle you will find not much left after a few hours or so.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2015, 11:32:49 am »

Then the last two photo's before the hull gets its colour. Last night I finished installing the port bulwark and then this morning its got its primer on, the second photo shows it with the access hatches dropped into place. Once this has fully cured in the next couple of hours I can mark the waterline and then mask it up ready for paint, I'm hoping to not only get the paint on but also hull markings as well before I post the next update.

Oh yes, I've been given my eviction notice! My wife says I have to clear all my 'mess' off of her art table because she wants to do some craftwork!!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2015, 11:13:45 am »

Ta Daaaaa!!!!!

We finally have topcoat paint on the hull. The hull markings are from BECC Lettering. The large POSH signage on the bows was very kindly done for me by forum member essex2visuvesi  when commercial outlets just said no. Thanks once again mate! The names were individual letters that are very hard to come by in white nowadays, they used to be called Letraset, black is no problem to get down your local branch of WH Smiths. Again a commercial outlet wanted £32 +pp for these four names, so they lost business.

All that remains to be done is to add the 'Rescue Zone' markings on port and starboard and paint the stern roller yellow, then the whole thing can be clear coated and wrapped protective tissue to allow the build to continue. No more words, just check out the photo's.........

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2015, 11:14:41 am »

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2015, 11:15:42 am »

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2015, 01:38:08 pm »

Looking really good. Congratulations  :-))
Don't Assume Check

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2015, 01:50:51 pm »

Indeed
I can't believe how much they wanted to charge!
Took me less that half an hour from start to finish...

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »

Very nice Brian looks great  :-))

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2015, 05:34:29 pm »

Indeed
I can't believe how much they wanted to charge!
Took me less that half an hour from start to finish...

Can I ask what printer you used to do thoes very nice transfers please

john

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2015, 07:06:08 am »

Final two photo's. I've added the rescue zone markngs. I learned here not to spray dark colour first. I did the black base and then masked the striped before spraying the yellow. 30+ coats of yellow later I finally had it where the black was not showing through! So light colour first, dark colour over the top.

Now ready for the satin clearcoat which I will complete this week. then on to fitting out the work deck so that can be sprayed in grey.

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2015, 07:16:47 am »

"Rescue Zone" - on a Tug, what exactly is the Rescue Zone??

Is it where that tug would pick up and bring onboard those that are being rescued or is it where crew on the particular tug would be rescued from, should the unfortunate happen??

Have seen the designation many times, just never seen an explanation before.

Thank You.

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2015, 07:49:43 am »

"on a Tug.......what exactly is the Rescue Zone??" .......as far away from the prop as possible?........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2015, 06:30:42 pm »

It is  a designated spot where rescue craft (or God forbid swimmers)know there is the capability of being taken on board. In the case of aht's there is a door situated in the bulwark to facilitate this.

On mine it is on the starboard side- I forgot to add the port side door before paint, so its been left off!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2015, 01:20:39 pm »

OK a short update as once again I am short of materials. Fortunately later today we return to the UK for 5 weeks so I have plenty of stuff already delivered to return to Spain with!

First up I've just about finished the focsle, all that is left is to make up the platform grating that locates behind the winch which the crew stand on to operate it. I've made up two more bollards, simply two rectangles of styrene sheet one slightly smaller than the other, bonded together and then drilled for 5mm brass tube- it could have been styrene tube and easier come to that but I only had brass.

The access/escape hatch simply made from a square of softwood, then clad in 0.2mm styrene. The hinges made up from the same and handles two staples cut to length. The warping drums were 8mm styrene tube topped with two 8mm brass shieves. The whole lot then painted in grey and selected items matt black.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2015, 01:27:23 pm »

You may notice the speckled finish, obviously I never masked enough when I sprayed white primer on to the winchroom! I had to go back in and retouch the gray using my airbrush.

Most of the work now to be done is on the workdeck before moving to superstructure. I marked out the now painted outer deck and drilled the locating holes for the vertical supports for the cargo/safety rails. The verticals were 4mm brass.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2015, 01:34:34 pm »

Then with much shaping I made the top rail out of 6mm brass, I have a tool for bending the tube this can be found at the Halfords car emporium or even Ebay, sold for bending brake lines and small diameter plumbing applications it handles 6/8/10mm tubing.

The final three photos's for now are just views of the starboard rail now soldered to the verticals. This can be removed as I have not epoxied the verticals into the deck yet. This is to facilitate the brass sheet application to the insides of the rails forming a 'wall' the length of the rails. Also there are bracing pieces to add that run from the saftey rail to the inside of the bulwarks all yet to be fashioned. Again you will notice I have to reapply the ships name on this side, masking tape has lifted it off in parts.

All that is for next time, which as I said earlier won't be until the end of April.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2015, 06:38:35 pm »

Well its been a few weeks but finally I can get back to building, so here goes......

The first two are where I left off for our return to the UK, it is the focsl deck with mushroom vents and snorkel vents in place and the final two bollards made up from plastic tube but requiring paint.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2015, 06:43:41 pm »

The next two are the start of this weeks work, swimbo said she was amazed that I actually waited 24 hours before resuming work!  You can see I have fabricated the stand for the winch and a hawser basket, made from 0.5mm stainless mesh. Everything is painted, but I have noticed in the photo's I have forgotten to make up the two anchor chain stoppers. Also to be seen the main power switch, the power switch for the engine discharge pump and the charging socket.

There's a crewman in shot here to give an idea of scale.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2015, 06:56:16 pm »

Now the start of some very difficult work, completing the work deck cargo rails. I began these a few weeks back but ran out of brass tubing, now having new supplies the work continues.

The first photo is the starboard rail framework soldered, the second one is with the wall soldered to the pipework. I was making the frame from brass for strength and was going to make the walls from plastic card. However using brass meant I could solder the whole assembly rather than epoxying plastic to brass.

Of course brass sheet only comes in short lengths so it meant joining pieces together, I tacked the sheets into place with a dab of solder and then removed the whole assembly on the bench, its too dangerous having a butane torch and plastic in close proximity!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2015, 07:06:22 pm »

The walkthroughs and washports were pre marked and cut out on the bandsaw. Once the assembly was on the bench and fully soldered together I got to work with a file and filed the edges flush to the upright pipework. Then cut the angles and made up the tow rope stopper on the top rail.

Then it was drill a series of holes to take the bracing tubes, solder those in place and then solder the outer support tube to those stubs.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2015, 07:10:37 pm »

So 40 hours later :o (been some late nights this week) I am up to this point. The framework is basically complete, I have primered it so it is seen better, I have added the vertical braces to each panel and all that is left now are the outer vertical braces that run down to the inside of the bulwarks. Some more thinking to do about those, they need to be drilled into the deck but then soldering the top ends will melt the plasticard decking and bulwarks-hmmmm!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2015, 07:14:39 pm »

Lastly check this out.

Go to your model shop and buy some plastic weld, 57ml for £4.87. Or try your local friendly auction site and  buy a litre bottle of Dichloromethane for £8.00 you know it makes sense! It is the same product in both bottles and the larger bottle will last for years of plastic gluing/welding and not just a couple of weeks like the smaller bottle......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.