Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Seahunter- The Big Refit!  (Read 150510 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: The Seahunter- the big refit begins....
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2015, 03:59:56 pm »

I admire the pipework young sir.  Very tidy job indeed.   :-))

Cheers

ken

Cheers Ken.

Right after a week or so I now have my mojo back and have done some work- those pipelines really got to me!

First up I will show a couple of pics of my latest buys, A set of plastic pipework bends and handwheels, these are 1/72 but the nice thing is that on ships, pipes come in all sorts of sizes so they would be good for most other builds as well. Also a couple of shipping containers with some nice detail on them and some oil drums. The drums came as a set of 10 but as I need about 30 of them I will use the cast metal ones as masters to make up a few more in resin. The service from the company in the photo's was second to none, I got them from the UK in 4 days!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2015, 04:08:03 pm »

As promised a few posts ago, I had bought some decal paper and here are my results. The paper comes in two types, laser and inkjet- get the right sort for your printer!

I made up a master sheet in Word, resizing images that can be found on google, these are warning signs etc as can be seen in the first photo. Notice I printed them right at the top of the sheet, this paper is expensive so I have maximised the useage, it means next time I can slip what is left into the printer.

This is what I found with using the stuff, it prints ok and then you overpaint with a thin layer of clearcoat (laquer, varnish,polyurethane etc) I used my airbrush and gave them two coats. This layer forms  a barrier to actually carry the ink. Then its cut them out and use like commercial decals.

In practice this is how it went. The instructions say to use on glossy surfaces, I concur with that. I applied my first two on top of satin cote clear enamel from Humbrol, the decals stuck immediately, allowing no adjustment at all.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2015, 04:12:31 pm »

so here are a couple of them in place.

Remember if you decide to use decal paper yourself make sure the surface is shiny, wet and slippy. On my application I had even rubbed a drop of washing up liquid to no avail, you will see that the safety first lettering is off centre and the corner actually split when I tried to move it across.

IMDG is international marine dangerous goods, and the two small ones are for immersion suits.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2015, 04:14:49 pm »

A couple more, just various warning signs and lifebelts. They all need to be overcoated with more laquer so they blend in and are fully protected.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2015, 04:23:40 pm »

So overall it was a learning experience, I'm fairly happy with them but they could have been better applied if I had realised there was no room for adjustment on my paint. Somebody using glossy paint would have no problem. Also the effect is better on lighter paint colours rather than dark and if you are putting them onto all white backgrounds, you can actually get the paper in white rather than clear as I have used.

OK back to building. I have decided that all the deck detail is going to be completed before I move on to the superstructure, so the next few posts will be about sorting that out. I have begun the deck crane, as mentioned in another topic, it is built in the far east (as was the ship) by Plimsoll. Plimsoll have a parent company that also owns Palfinger, which was opportune seeing as the only diagrams of the Plimsoll equipment are not available.

I have used a similar deck crane diagram from Palfinger and have been taking measurements from that,albeit the boom on my actual ship is longer so I have made allowance for that.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2015, 04:27:13 pm »

Also I have made the boom 2mm deeper and 2mm wider to compensate for the extra 40mm in its length, I didn't want it looking long and spindly! Next up for this is to make the inner extending 'sleeve' that carries the hook and the hydraulic ram. Then on to the operators platform, access ladders and all the pipework on it. These are for next time.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2015, 05:33:21 pm »

I have now finished the crane, there not a lot you can actually say about it really. Its just a series of boxes and tubes made up with plasticard. First photo is making up the carrier plates for the shieves at the business end. Then the next four are just photos of it in various stages of assembly, on the bench and mounted on a piece of dowel for ease of turning.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2015, 05:42:30 pm »

The boom is made to look as though it extends but it doesn't, the safety fence was made from brass wire soldered, the access ladder is plastic which made things difficult when it came to attaching the brass cage to it, I have some epoxy smeared on the ladder which I couldn't see until I saw the painted finished item. The first photo is just a quick jig I made up so that the brass rings of the safety cage were spaced correctly, next one was a trial fit on the boat, I had not got the boom fully horizontal, so I cut off the hydraulic mount and repositioned it. Then three and four are shots of the working area, with the hydraulic lever controls in place, you can also see the mesh floor of the work area.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2015, 05:48:48 pm »

On to the next couple of photos, these show the crane in finished state, all I need to do is apply the decals and clearcoat. The hydraulic hoses were made up from telephone wire, being very fine plastic coated copper wire they can be bent into shape and they will stay there. For the control levers I just cut away the insulation from 20mm of the wire, glued it into the box and then trimmed all the bare ends level. Again this works for when a hose joins a steel pipe as may be seen along the hydraulic ram.

So thats it for the crane, I now need to make up the intermediate platform for its tower, you may have noticed that the ladder does not go all the way to the deck on the photo of it on the boat. That's an hours job for monday then!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2015, 02:19:44 pm »

I've done a little more, finished off the crane. After looking at the photo's I noticed it looked wrong. Comparing it to my reference photo's I had made a couple of mistakes! The first was in lengthening the boom as mentioned earlier. By the time I had added the shieve block to the end, the boom actually became too long, so I had to cut it and take out 15mm and glue back together. Otherwise the length of the boom would have interfered with the RIB fast rescue craft hoist on the starboard side. The next mistake and a biggy if you know the ships. The POSH Venture had a sister ship (sold on) called POSH Vantage. I used a photo of the Vantage as I went along- the problem is that the access platform to the crane and its controls are on the wrong side! On the Venture the platform is to the rear of the crane tower, on the Vantage it is to the fore of the tower. So technically mine is at the wrong side, but it is staying where it is now, far too much work involved to alter it.

I jumped back to finishing the work deck area, not a lot to add, just some snorkels at various places and the deck lighting. The first photo is what I wanted....

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2015, 02:22:15 pm »

These are commercially available items to 'OO' scale, so 1/72nd for railway modelling with a suitable price- £10.25 each, I need 16 :o :o So me being me sat and thought about it for a while.

Then I came up with what is shown in the next couple of photo's...

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2015, 02:25:40 pm »

I shaped the end of some lime to give the shape of a floodlight, then cut a corresponding hole in some ply. Taking a square of 1mm plasticard, I held it over a gas flame until it softened, then placed it over the hole and inserted the piece of lime. After a few attempts I started turning out shells that may just do the job!

These photo's are of the plastic trimmed down to size and with a surface mount led inside.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2015, 02:33:44 pm »

Certainly four of them will make the decklights, as these are obscured under the pipework at each side and shine through the gaps in the cargo rail wall onto the deck.

The next couple is my test light, painted with a glazed front and connected to a supply battery. I have started a topic on a problem with the smleds in the electronic forum further down. The basics are they are too bright and overheat the resistors when used singly, photo 2 is on 6v supply, photo 3 is on 12v supply. They are from a strip of leds that you cut of, the minimum being 3leds with 2 resistors. The two resistors total 300ohm splitting the 12v supply to the 3 leds. Anyway, thats another problem to be discussed in the electronic forum below.

So next up finish this deck, then it looks as though I will be moving up to superstructure- or railings for the upper and lower focsl decks, not too sure which yet.

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2015, 09:50:16 pm »

Clever idea, nice floodlights!
Hama

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2015, 05:02:56 am »

Thanks for the compliment Hama.

Right what have I been doing for the last week or so? well I have mostly been throwing things around, spitting my dummy out and generally having kiddy tantrums.

The reason for all of this has been soldering sm led's not standard ones of course but micro ones. So carrying on from the last post, all I have managed is bulkhead lighting down the port side cargo rail- three lights and two floodlights in a week!

The first problem I encountered was the fact I had not made allowance for the wiring earlier in the build. Not being able to source a 1mm long shaft drill bit- it had to be about 75mm in length to manouvre down through the pipework to the deck.  So I made one with a piece of piano wire that I made a rudimentary cutting edge on the tip, it was only going through plasticard and 1mm ply subdeck so it did the job.

Then came time to solder the smd's, I used a tip from another forum member but it was still a nightmare to do. So taking some 1mm copper wire I wrapped it around the tip of my soldering iron with a short length protruding, effectively making a new finer tip to the iron.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2015, 05:19:46 am »

Then many hours of trying to hold something so small while also attempting to juggle soldering iron and wire to the smd. I used solder paste so I didn't need a 4th or 5th hand in the mix as well %% But working with these is a lesson in patience! The wire I have used for my leds is telephone wire.

Telephone wire is available by the metre, has 6 to 10 strands in an outer casing, each strand being colour coded and is a solid copper wire of .5mm capable of handling 50vdc. Its a cheaper option then buying lengths of similar cable in individual colours from somewhere like Maplin. I strip the outer plastic covering off so I have the individual wires.

However with these smd;s even .5mm thick wire was too much, I had to use indivdual strands of wire unwound from a length of multistrand cable, so the thickness was down to .1mm. Attaching these as 'legs' onto the smd's and then soldering the legs to the thicker wire.

These tiny smd's are shown against a toothpick for size. I'm using them because without any other work they are the ideal size to use as bulkhead lighting, once stuck in place all the need doing is the edges painting with a two hair brush, yep I have made a two hair brush by cutting the rest of the hair away!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2015, 05:24:49 am »

Once I had them made they were superglued to the cargo rail wall and the wiring completed through to the underdeck, where it comes together on a distribution board.

This is simply a piece of veroboard with the correct size resistor soldered to it and then wires run from that to the led's. There will be one of these under the deck port and starboard.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2015, 05:30:44 am »

And so to the finished effect. The first two photos are the bulkhead lights on the port side, I still have 1 more to wire in on this side.

The second two photo's are the deck floodlights I made up in the earlier post. There are two to port and two starboard, only the port ones are shown here.

So that's it for now, more swearing and throwing my teddy about while I finish the starboard side, but as I have now developed a technique it should be easier and faster.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2015, 09:49:09 am »

Superb bit of engineering.    :-))     I've certainly learnt something here and hope to copy your ideas.  Thanks for showing us.
 Aren't Led's a good invention.   :}

cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2015, 10:06:17 am »

They sure are Ken and wait until I get around to using the fibre optics in the wheelhouse to illuminate the desks and computer terminals! But that is  quite a while off at the moment.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2015, 01:20:03 pm »

That fore & aft deck planking looks pretty realistic & and very well illuminated too...... :-)) ..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2015, 07:54:50 am »

What have I accomplished in the last week? Not a lot, we have been wilting here in 44c temperatures. On top of that I have had to install a new bigger cold water storage tank- 1000litre replacing a tiny 300 litre one, and being stung 5 times by wasps, of course the wasp nest is no longer!

OK so this is what I have got done. Lighting installed on the port side, both deck floodlights and bulkhead lights on the outside walkway/safety refuges...

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2015, 08:13:02 am »

I'll take a better photo of all the decklights on for next time. I also completed the aft end of the upper focsl deck. This extends over the double drum winch house. I have made it removeable so that I can reach inside, lift out the lower deck complete with winch attached and access inside the hull- this is where I'm hoping to keep all my electronics safe. As you will see, it has an overhang on two sides, this meant making the 'sandwich' of platicard deck/1/16th plywood/plasticard underside. Once the underside was made up I used L beam plasticard to make up the support beams for the overhang.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2015, 08:14:39 am »

So these two show it in place..

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2015, 08:26:31 am »

I mentioned in the posts from last week I was going to make up the handrails for this part of the build. I cut some brass sheet into 2mm strips to form the plate stanchions and using jigs drilled holes for the crossrails. I made up a small section roughly to make sure I was on the right track, as you will see, next to a scale figure it is way out of proportion. Not the height, the stanchions needed to be cut to height and be shaped at the bottom to fit in the pre-drilled holes in the deck.

It is the width of them that is wrong, they are too wide, check it out next to the figure. To be in scale they need to be 1mm wide or 3inches in real life, I can't possibly make up a 140 of these at 1mm wide with 3 holes drilled in them! I had another go using 1mm diameter brass wire as stanchions. While it looked better than the plate, it still looks wrong. So it looks as though they are going on the back burner while I decide whether to have them professionally photo etched, or find a supplier of 17mm- 1/72nd scale stanchions that doesn't require me to take out another mortgage.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.