Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Seahunter- The Big Refit!  (Read 150545 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Seahunter- The Big Refit!
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2015, 10:17:01 am »

so to the final photos for now. They show the first rack installed on the port side with the securing bands also done, each end of the handrail should be a chain to the rear leg of the rack, to stop crew walking off into the sea. I'm not sure how to do this yet, Its looking like costume jewellery again, but I'm not sure I can get fine enough chain, it may just end up being a strand of fine wire.. Now its move on to the next job, so far I'm not sure how I am going forward, so it'll be a surprise what the next update brings.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2015, 11:15:03 am »

Ingenious.     :-))

It's never easy to glue two opposing curved surfaces without  'flattening'  one edge.  The binding will help with the support.  Very tidy.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2015, 08:30:56 pm »

Indeedly Brian, they add much to the whole build if the intricacy of the railings and winch was not enough!

Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2015, 08:25:20 am »

Yes guys its beginning to take on the look of a ship now these little things are being added. Now how to make a series of U shackles that are between 5 and 10 mm long! I must say I am considering buying some, but as I need 4 of each 5, 7 and 10mm it could be expensive!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: August 18, 2015, 07:23:56 pm »

Get the brass rod out and make your own. They will be cheaper and you will have the warm fuzzy feeling from having made them all your self.

Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2015, 08:11:25 pm »

I am sorely tempted Ian. But its getting the ends of the shackle flattened and drilled through to take the eye bolt that has me stumped at the moment. I have two of the commercial ones and they are a work of art that I can only dream of getting close to.

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: August 18, 2015, 08:17:41 pm »

Brian, could you anneal the ends of a brass rod and then squeeze them in a vice to flatten. Drill and tap whilst the rod is straight and then bend. I haven't done it but that is what I am going to try for shackles on my tug.

Or ... a piece of brass rod larger than the size you need, mill the end flats, turn the middle bit to size, and then bend?

Just thinking out loud here.

Tom

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2015, 09:27:37 pm »

Hm, sounds like a difficult one Brian. I cannot think of an alternative method to Tom's idea, so definitly worth a go.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2015, 08:37:48 am »

I'll give Toms method a try. They are only for 'decoration' so won't be under any strain.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2015, 08:43:47 am »

Well I've been a busy boy this week.

I turned back to the fast rescue craft and began again. I scoured the kids toyshops hoping to find a plastic hull that could be used but no luck. So I knuckled down and made another plug. This time instead of using foam and protecting it from the effects of the resin, I turned the clock back 40 odd years to my school days and used what we did there - a block of solid beeswax. I don't have photo's of this bit I was too eager to crack on. But basically I  carved the block to shape with knives etc until happy with the result. Then flash over it with a  blowlamp to soften any sharp carving marks. Job done one plug! There is no need for release agent or anything else when using beeswax and resin, the natural oilyness in the wax makes separation easy.

Then using the result as a plug, it was lay up a gel coat and then glass tissue, I had asked advice for an alternative to tissue the best being nappy liner type material, but that was as thick as the tissue. Once it had gone green ( semi hard) I trimmed off the excess and pulled the plug of beeswax out. Then the shell which now became my mould was given the inside a quick polish there is enough residue left to act as the release agent. I again put in a gel coat and two layers of tissue then left overnight. Next day I had my miniature hull.

With it being tiny it meant I still had a little patching and leveling out to do. I even put a smear of filler on the inside to smooth out the rough side of the glass.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2015, 08:53:29 am »

Giving it an all over sanding and filling of pinholes etc then more sanding inside and out I had a reasonable hull. Next up was the engine cover driver seat combination for the inside. This was simply carved from a piece of lime wood. This was attached to the inner hull with some epoxy and then the whole inside, wood and grp was given another gelcoat brushed on thinly. This served to level everything out and also give the wood a smooth surface so the grain didn't show through the later paint.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: August 21, 2015, 08:59:16 am »

I added some plasticard rubbing strip to the outer edge of the hull using superglue, something I am not fond of but sometimes you just have to use it. Then the front splash plate was added using more plasticard. Then a coat of primer and then topcoat.

Its rather bright! I wanted to hi vis orange but nothing like that exists in the shops here, its hi vis flourescent orange :o I'm hoping it will tone down a shade or two once I add the clearcoat, to which I will add a touch of black toner. Then I added some real strips of polyurethane foam as the rubbing strips - just like the real craft!

Then on to the detailing, a steering wheel, the grab rails and the safety cage at the rear which carries a flotation device (still to be added) that will right the boat should it turn over. Finally a bit of tube stuck in the stern to represent the waterjet drive unit.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: August 21, 2015, 09:05:16 am »

So its now complete. These last photos show it mounted on its davit and also in place on the hull, yet to be glued in place as I still have some work to do and don't want to damage it, so it can be removed and put in to storage for now.

SO once again I'm not sure what I am moving on to, tune in again for another surprise.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: August 21, 2015, 10:32:29 am »

Wow ....  That came out well.  I'm impressed with your method and may have a go myself, if that's alright.   :-))

It's certainly orange.    8)

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2015, 10:45:49 am »

The wee boat looks the part Brian. Very interesting method you used to build it.

Tom

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: August 21, 2015, 12:17:30 pm »

Ken be my guest use whatever I come up with if it suits your build.

Tom just some old school tricks taught to me in the woodwork/metalwork/fabrication unit when I was at high school. Of course kids of today don't get schooling like that. No wonder they can't get (tradesman)work straight out of school.

I'm glad you both like the end result. It works but it could have been better.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: August 21, 2015, 05:58:08 pm »

Beautiful work mate - just simply beautiful  :-))

You know I had exactly the same issue as you when fixing the life raft canisters to their mountings and I also used the same fix as you too!  Yours have come out nice and straight which is difficult to do and as for the small life boat it looks great fitted in place.  Keep it coming!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: August 21, 2015, 08:24:27 pm »

Brilliant work Brian, I can see it being a good seller if you ever took the plunge!
Pond weed is your enemy

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: August 21, 2015, 09:33:18 pm »

Brian, I have sent you a message.

Tom

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: August 22, 2015, 05:52:37 am »

Message returned Tom, hope it helps you :-))

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: August 22, 2015, 11:00:43 am »

Thanks Brian

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2015, 01:43:30 pm »

Shall we start with some expletives? You know the good old English profanity? Mast! yep thats a good one, Anchor! thats another good one %)

I'm still working out in my head how to tackle the attachment of the linear servos to the towing pins, once I have that set then all of the aft end of the ship is complete and I can move on to the final leg and get on with the superstructure.

So in the meantime I have made up two of the Stevpris anchors which are just decoration for the work deck. I started out with cutting the anchor flukes from plasticard and then putting the shape in them by scoring and bending....

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2015, 01:47:56 pm »

I had decided on four anchors, so that mean cutting eight shanks, the shank is not solid but made up of two side plates. I cut one as a template, drilled holes in each end and then bolted 7 more rough cut pieces to it. once secure the rest was trimmed and sanded away so I had eight the same.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2015, 01:55:44 pm »

Then just the assembly to do. I glued up the first one and it looked pretty damn good. This is where it went awry, I put it on the work deck and these things are big, ranging in size from 1.5 tons all the way up to 35 tons :o However even this looked wrong.

I took it back to the workbench and took some measurements, it came out at 1/48th scale not 1/72nd. Now that is odd because this happened with something I scaled only a couple of weeks back. Well it seems that SWiMBO had been doing some printing and changed the printer settings to 'largest fit to page' hmmm. I reset the printer to normal and printed off another set of diagrams and began again from scratch %% This time I was only going to make 2 anchors, these two photos are the original with my crewman alongside.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2015, 01:58:18 pm »

Right all that is left of these is to show the second lot of anchors, done exactly the same way as the first ones. Now in their finished colours with decals in place.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.