Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Seahunter- The Big Refit!  (Read 150543 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Seahunter- The Big Refit!
« Reply #225 on: August 26, 2015, 02:00:36 pm »

Lastly a couple with them on the aft deck, there is a 20teu container to the same scale to show just how big these things are, and a real life photo of them with people alongside as well.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: August 26, 2015, 02:06:00 pm »

OK next profanity- mast.

As I am putting stuff away for the moment it seemed like a good idea to complete the mast structure so that it can just be added later on. The idea for this was to have all working navigation and towing lights on the mast using the brass tube as the ground and running the live wires up the mast itself.

Problem one raised its head when I couldn't get more than 3 wires up the centre anyway :(( So I hit on another idea (later) I therefore began cutting all the brass tube I needed to size. The first thing was to drill the mounting holes for the cross pieces, I clamped it to some aluminium and ran it under my drill press.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: August 26, 2015, 02:08:58 pm »

Then a clean up with steel wool and a drop of flux then assemble before soldering. Heating the tube with my mini blowlamp some cross pieces would solder no problem the other side would just turn black and the solder run off. This caused all sorts of problems throughout the assembly and I still have no idea why except to think the flux was overheating and burning?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: August 26, 2015, 02:13:38 pm »

In the end I turned back to my hottest soldering iron and a tub of solder paste which did the job admirably, its just the solder paste is expensive and I can only obtain it in the UK not over here.

So two full days it took to assemble this thing. I wanted to make the radar antennas one of which is mounted to the mast working, I have the two 5mm pulleys I bought for this job but I can't find any elastic bands small enough to actually drive them, the bands themselves would need to be only 10mm in length in their stretched state.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2015, 02:20:39 pm »

So on to the final photos for now. The mast is now complete except for the addition of the led lights. I am still using the base material to conduct the ground signal, but the power signals are going to be run up the outside of the mast itself, I am waiting delivery of some 0.25mm enamel covered copper winding wire. The polyurethane enamel will keep the signal wires from touching each other and side by side four of them will only be 1 mm thick, So I can run the 9 wires I need up the mast with no trouble and being so thin will look part of the build once final paint is on.

Apparently I am having a day off from building tomorrow and friday, SWiMBO has dictated I take her for a meal and then monthly shopping on friday. So it looks like next week for a photo update!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2015, 04:18:35 pm »

Nice job sir!    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2015, 04:39:14 pm »

Thanks Martin.

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2015, 07:13:59 pm »

Well Done Brian! The mast is excellent and the anchors certainly look the part ... I'll take two in brass and 1/38th scale. Any drawing of them?

Tom

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2015, 08:32:07 pm »

Very nice approach to your problems.  Twas interesting reading.   :-))

Regarding the elastic bands of a small diameter, try the toy shops for those bands that were the rage last year by children to weave bracelets.  Can't think of the name, but they were sold everywhere.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2015, 09:34:43 pm »

Loom bands. I saw a little girl had spilt a load over the end of my street so if I can find any not abraided by tyres, and not peed on by dawgies, I can send you a few if they are still there Brian?

That is a superb mast, the ladders really add to the piece.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: August 27, 2015, 08:46:18 am »

Well Done Brian! The mast is excellent and the anchors certainly look the part ... I'll take two in brass and 1/38th scale. Any drawing of them?

Tom

Drawings of what Tom? the anchors? I have the drawing in 1/24th scale I could forward you a link, or send you the webpage I got them from.

Very nice approach to your problems.  Twas interesting reading.   :-))

Regarding the elastic bands of a small diameter, try the toy shops for those bands that were the rage last year by children to weave bracelets.  Can't think of the name, but they were sold everywhere.

Cheers

ken

This is what I like for ideas, cheers Ken I never even heard of those, I'll store the info for later!

Loom bands. I saw a little girl had spilt a load over the end of my street so if I can find any not abraided by tyres, and not peed on by dawgies, I can send you a few if they are still there Brian?

That is a superb mast, the ladders really add to the piece.

Thanks for the offer Ian, It's too late for this build now, unless I do some more soldering work to make the radar bracket in brass rather than the plasticard it currently is.

Thanks all for looking in, it makes the work worth it when it is appreciated by others.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: August 27, 2015, 10:47:38 am »

Ian. Way back in reply 195 we were discussing sheathing on the tow rope.

I came across this item this morning in an article on recognised towing practices for anchor handlers/tugs....

Movement of the vessel in heavy weather will cause the tow wire to rub on the stern roller. The wire will slide constantly from side to side. This action will damage the tow wire, eroding strands and weakening the wire. Use of towing shoes, a metal or neoprene sheath which is bolted around the tow wire preventing direct contact between the wire and stern roller, will prevent damage occurring. If a towing shoe is not used then the area of contact on the wire will have to be changed on a regular basis. This is known as freshening the nip. Depending upon the severity of the weather and amount of movement of the wire on the roller the tow wire length will be adjusted by a small amount every hour in cases of excessive movement or up to every 6 hours when towing in calm weather.

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: August 27, 2015, 11:13:09 am »

Hi Brian. Yes, it is the anchor information I am after. I would like to make a couple for my tug to carry about.

The article you found on the tow rope sheathing is interesting. We didn't do that on the west coast of Canada, but we did "change the nip", or as our skipper called it ... "Give her an inch or two will ya".

Cheers

Tom

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: August 27, 2015, 01:30:26 pm »

PM me your email address Tom. I'll send you the PDF of the brochure which has various anchor patterns at the end, but is an interesting read in itself. Also the PDF of the parts cutting diagrams if you can't be bothered to lift them from the brochure :}

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: August 27, 2015, 08:50:20 pm »

Thanks Brian, I imagine that 'freshening the nip' has been in use for many centuries especially with the older hemp and coir ropes.

I popped up on spec and most loom bands had been washed away in the rain we had Tuesday with the remainder having been distressed, so I reccomend looking at loom bands in toy shops or looking for elastic bands from other sources perhaps surgical?
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2015, 08:08:37 am »

Ahh surgical sources. That takes me back to the early '80's and my first modelling stint. I worked for the NHS and wanted for nothing. Scalpel blades? sure just nip along to cssd (central sterile supplies dept) they were happy to hand them out along with small tweezers/forceps.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: August 28, 2015, 08:57:03 am »

I read the first bit as 'Surgical success' and it got me wondering what you had done before I read the rest!

I can imagine it was like alladin's cave. If they used the acrylic resin for broken limbs then, you could have had a cheap/free source for hull cladding!
Pond weed is your enemy

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #242 on: August 28, 2015, 09:25:54 am »

Saw some loom bands in Poundstretcher yesterday.
99p for 1200  %%
They looked about 15mm unstretched so too big.
Silicon O seals should be available to suit.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2015, 08:01:54 pm »

Brian how have I missed the last few updates  :o   I have completely missed your posts and now I am seriously jealous  :embarrassed:

I have been messing around with rig anchors and my results have been pathetic to say the least.  The anchors look great on the deck; you've done a really nice job their mate - they look so real  :-))   Cracking mast too.  I'll try and keep up a bit better than before!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2015, 08:22:02 am »

Wait for this weeks update Mark, I had a failure that I couldn't get around and had to accept I was beaten. <:(

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2015, 11:57:53 am »

Hmmm ... this sounds interesting. Brian, would your failure have anything to do with shackles?

Tom

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2015, 12:02:49 pm »

No mate, operating radar :} Nor done the shackles yet, still waiting for 2mm brass rod to arrive in the post.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2015, 03:37:52 pm »

Hi Brian

Just started reading your posts, have you thought about O rings? they come in small sizes, both diamieter and length, local engineering supplies have stocks.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2015, 04:03:21 pm »

Tried O rings Mark no go, small enough but far too strong- not enough give in the rubber. I'll document the reasons in my next post tomorrow.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2015, 05:44:12 pm »

Two wheels, one with a rubber O ring or tyre?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 22 queries.