Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Seahunter- The Big Refit!  (Read 150538 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Seahunter- The Big Refit!
« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2015, 05:35:54 pm »

This is ready to be fitted to the superstructure now. But before I do I am going to add as much as the extra/small detail as I can, that is the external feed pipes for the monitors, the ladders up to the funnel deck, the railings etc etc.

So thats it for now, except to say this build is dragging on. When I started it I thought it would be all done in 6-8 weeks, 8 months later and I still can't see the endgame. Don't ever ask me to cost out a time/labour job for you  %%

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: October 25, 2015, 05:43:37 pm »

I did that John, took it off and resoldered it, still no joy. I think I might have severed its live feed when I glued the roof into place on the funnels. I'll get out my test meter tomorrow and check to see if I have voltage coming along the wire. If not I just run another one.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: October 25, 2015, 06:46:46 pm »

She's coming on a treat Brian - when things go wrong, just walk away then come back when you've had time to think.

Regarding the light showing at the bottom of the consoles - I was thinking that perhaps some thin black plastic, to represent floor to console trim, might be worth a try.

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #328 on: October 25, 2015, 07:01:32 pm »

Don't worry about the quality of the work you are doing Brian as the consoles and controls look brilliant to me. I am sure tht once you put the roof on, you will not see any light seepage. Re your naughty spot and navigation light, I hope you manage to find the fault and rectify it as she looks a dazzler.
Pond weed is your enemy

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: October 25, 2015, 07:09:54 pm »

Looking really nice Brian - I bet it will look great on a night sailing with all of the lights lit up.  All of those wires though - I've got this to look forward too  %%

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: October 25, 2015, 08:41:41 pm »

Looks a real treat Brian.  I appreciate your misery with the missing light. Once wires are down a pipe, it is all very nerve racking when movement comes into play.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: November 05, 2015, 12:15:44 pm »

Well not a lot accomplished lately.  The weather has been half decent so we had the front acre ploughed over again and I've been busy planting fruit trees, olives and almonds. It's a blast digging with a picaxe, kango (SDS)drill and spade, the ground here being so stony they are the only way to do it bar getting Salvador back with his tractor and drill, but at 30€ an hour spanish farmers don't come cheap!

So what little I have got done I'll present now....

First three photos just all round shots of the roofline, I have cut and drilled another 28 rail posts, bent up the rails and soldered them into place. I think on the next build I am going to actually etch these as I would get a more uniform size and holes.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: November 05, 2015, 12:23:43 pm »

The brass foghorn has been soldered to the mast, two domes cast in resin, for satellite navigation etc, those are the red things on sticks. In photos 13 and 14 you can see that pesky deck worker in shot again to give an idea of scale.

I have added two air conditioning units made simply as boxes and some grille behind the holes to represent the fan intakes for cooling.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: November 05, 2015, 12:33:35 pm »

Almost done, next up the lower radar had been fabricated and added, and the safety cages soldered to the ladders up to the funnel tops, these can be seen better in the second photo. The water monitors have been finished with the addition of the foam generators to the top of the water nozzles.

All that needs completing now are the bottoms of the searchlights, they need a circular motor housing clamping around the square pillars which will be challenging, my own fault for not using round tubing in the first place.

The last photo is a bottle of Maskol, a humbrol product that forms a latex barrier for painting. I'm going to paint over the lenses of all the lighting with it then spray a primer coat over the whole unit. Hopefully it does what it says and protects the lenses and peels off like rubber afterwards!

Thats it for now, next update may have it actually bonded to the superstructure!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: November 13, 2015, 03:11:20 pm »

Nice Innit?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: November 13, 2015, 03:15:27 pm »

Well it was. It cost me the grand sum of 7€ so about £4.70. For that I got 19 useable tyres for hull fenders, the rest of the truck has gone in the bin. Now that might seem like a waste, but the tyres actually worked out cheaper than buying them from a hobby shop!

Anyway back to the build, it might seem like not a lot has happened this last week but believe me its been nothing but hassle. First up, it was the risers for the water supply to the fire monitors. These were made up using a mixture of extruded pipe fittings, styrene tube and aluminium rod.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #336 on: November 13, 2015, 03:16:57 pm »

This is them now located on the outside front of the funnel structure.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: November 13, 2015, 03:18:56 pm »

Now this was complete I turned to the railings again. another 30 or so stanchions cut from a sheet of brass and drilled for the rails, this was then C.A'd into the top of the funnels and the top rail led down to form the safety cages on the access ladders.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: November 13, 2015, 03:22:35 pm »

Oops missed the photos :} Anyway now that was complete the mast was given it's coat of black paint along with the funnel tops, the railings were painted green and the company decals added to the outside of the funnels. Once the paint was dry it has taken 4 days to actually get the bridge roof bonded to the bridgehouse. Its surprising just how warped a flat sheet of styrene can get once you add other structures to one surface, even though the underneath had 3mm plywood laminated to it!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #339 on: November 13, 2015, 03:32:34 pm »

In the last photo you can see I have begun to add the spray wall for want of a better description to the fore and aft of the bridge roof, blending it into place again with Squadron green filler. The fire monitors have been finished and painted red and now my attention turns to super detailing.

I have another 64 railing stanchions to cut and drill, window wipers to fabricate, some more ladders and safety cages to add and a lot of drench pipe to bend and add. Drench pipe will only be decorative not operational! This pipe work is run around superstructures and other vital areas, in the case of getting up close and personal in a fire, the monitors flood the fire with water/foam, but what protects the ship? these pipes are arranged to spray water over the superstructure to keep it cool.

So that's it for this weeks post... oh one last thing. I used the Maskol on the lights, it will be ok on flat surfaces, but tends to run off verticals, I had to apply it several times over the led's to get enough protection, but it does work and leaves a nice clean surface free from paint. I'll leave you with a couple of photo's of the superstructure on the hull so you can see what it looks like.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #340 on: November 13, 2015, 03:33:28 pm »

:-))

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: November 14, 2015, 01:46:20 pm »

Wow, wow, wow!! :o

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #342 on: November 14, 2015, 02:24:42 pm »

Wow, wow, wow!! :o

I've got to agree with hama - That really does look great  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #343 on: November 14, 2015, 03:28:56 pm »

Cheers guys. It's coming along slowly, but getting close to the end now.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #344 on: November 14, 2015, 05:09:24 pm »

Excellent job sir!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #345 on: November 14, 2015, 08:45:15 pm »

Smashing job. Has it seen the wet stuff yet  ?

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: November 19, 2015, 09:46:01 am »

I can't really give an update this week, been rather busy! I had ordered a new toy/tool/precision equipment, take your pick. What I received was an  EXPENSIVE  piece of junk! So rather than getting on with my build I have been trying to sort that out with numerous phone calls and emails to the supplier. Now it gets complicated in that it was ordered via ebay UK supplied from a warehouse in Germany from a Chinese trader and sent to Spain. Yep I don't make things easy for myself. Anyway the new piece of equipment was a LASER CUTTER! which arrived with the laser optics bent and broken due to very bad internal packaging. So while I await new optics I can't use it, but it has taken up a lot of time this week sorting that out.

So back to this build, I managed very little that can be seen at the moment, what I did do, was wire together all of the lighting  fitted up to now and connect them to a 6v battery so you can get an idea of what they look like. Some of them are 6v (internal and mast) but the searchlights and floodlights should be 12v and brighter than shown.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2015, 09:48:44 am »

These are with it in place on the hull. Yes I still haven't sorted out the lower red on the mast yet, and one of the forward searchlights will have to remain off as I can't access the wiring to it any longer, so it may be that I don't make the final connections to either of the front ones.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #348 on: November 19, 2015, 09:51:53 am »

Looks good there Brian.
The Funnel Floods are very effective.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #349 on: November 19, 2015, 09:56:37 am »

As far as finishing the lighting I need to add bulhead lights around the superstructure, once again I was going to embed some surface mount leds in resin to make these, however after numerous attempts to solder these ( I should have learned by now the amount of times I attempted these) I gave up and admitted defeat, 2mm x 2mm is about the smallest the human hand/eye/magnifying glasses can attempt with reasonable success. These 1mm x 1mm are just too small, I have shown one with the eye of needle for comparison size. So my lighting on the bulkhead may be a little overscale when complete!

Anyway there may be more to show next week, once I'm over the disappointment of not attacking some materials with my laser as soon as it was unpacked.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.