Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Seahunter- The Big Refit!  (Read 150508 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Seahunter- The Big Refit!
« Reply #350 on: November 19, 2015, 09:59:44 am »

Looks good there Brian.
The Funnel Floods are very effective.

Ned

Cheers Ned. Yes they need some more work. I painted the outside of the leds black and also the inside of the safety rail, you can see the splodge through the plastic! The led is still bright enough to show through it all. So I'm thinking of lining the inside of the rail with some aluminium foil (baco foil) and then painting it again to stop the light showing.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #351 on: November 19, 2015, 10:32:39 am »

Brian......please se my PM on the nav lights.............. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #352 on: December 18, 2015, 01:15:33 pm »

Apologies for such a long duration between updates, I had to have a break from building I was going doolally with all the fiddly bits. Even now I still don't have a lot to show for it. So this is what has caused the hassle, I have so far cut 45 of these and I still need another 33 to finish the railings.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #353 on: December 18, 2015, 01:22:33 pm »

So these next couple of photo's show just how much railing I have got in place up to now, I've been adding paint as I go along, albeit much of it will have to be redone. I've used Humbrol enamels on all my models since I started with Airfix when I was a pre teen back in the '60's. Over the last few years they have gotten worse due to the reduction of voc's (volatile organic compounds) and the latest ones I bought appear to have so little in the way of pigment they are translucent. So I will be looking out for different paints in the future.

Along with the railings I have also added the access ladders to the bridge roof and radio aerials. Some of the drench tubing has been made up using 1.5mm solid copper wire with the insulation stripped from it. Another fiddly part was making the 3 wipers for the front windows, some more to make up for the aft set as well.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #354 on: December 18, 2015, 01:23:51 pm »

The wipers and glued into place on the screens....

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #355 on: December 18, 2015, 01:29:09 pm »

Lastly this years xmas pressie from my wife. Last year I received an Arduino board from my son. This year albeit I had to order it all myself, she paid for it, is a DLC.

This little card of magic is a digital light controller, from a rather nice chap in Germany, who had I believe just 3 of these left for sale, with postage it came to around £32.

What does it do? well hopefully I can get it connected to all the lights over the weekend and put a video demonstration on here for it to be viewed. Basically it makes your led lighting behave like the real thing. SOme can be shown like a flourescent light flickering, others with the brightness of xenons and the way they die out slowly when turned off etc etc. very realistic.

So tune in sometime on sunday and see if there is another update of it in operation.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #356 on: December 18, 2015, 01:30:18 pm »

That is becoming a star model Brian. And I thought warships had lots of detail!

How are you getting on with the cutter or are you still waiting for an intact part to arrive?
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #357 on: December 18, 2015, 01:59:43 pm »

I took the gantry apart and repaired it with some 3mm by 40mm bolts Ian. I finally yesterday got agreement from the company to refund me 100€. After 22 emails over the same amount of days! I've not used it in anger yet, been getting to grips with coreldraw and drawing up parts. I've cut a few paper/card things, but as I am waiting for a decent fume extractor I don't want to ruin lenses, mirrors etc running it without one.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #358 on: December 18, 2015, 03:07:26 pm »

That DLC sounds an amazing bit of kit
for the money Brian.

Will be waiting for the demo vid.
I notice it has a demo mode for shows etc.
Very handy :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #359 on: December 18, 2015, 04:23:08 pm »

It is amazing Ned. I've wanted one for the last two years since I saw it working, but never had a contact with the inventor, but thanks to Umi who put me in touch I've finally got one. I'll demo it on this model, but as the wiring has come together piecemeal instead of being well planned, it terminates all over the place. I'm actually going to put it into storage, for my next supply ship build in the new year.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #360 on: December 18, 2015, 04:38:19 pm »

I'm actually going to put it into storage, for my next supply ship build in the new year.

Now, that's what I call a common sense approach - good decision Brian. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #361 on: December 18, 2015, 09:26:03 pm »

I hope you now have a speedy resolution of payment.
Pond weed is your enemy

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #362 on: December 19, 2015, 04:01:49 am »

beautiful build.watching in awe...a suggestion.i have been reconverting my boats lighting(I was inspired by yours) and have gone to surface mout leds and resisters.i have found that the solder paste avalabe on e bay invaluable..put the paste on touch a hot iron on and bingo..also double sided tape to hold them inplace.... I have been using 1206/0806/0403's along with some 5050's for my sodium halide decklights. a 3 in one led so 3.4v and 100 mv x3 and 47 ohm surface mount resisters

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #363 on: December 19, 2015, 08:18:01 am »

beautiful build.watching in awe...a suggestion.i have been reconverting my boats lighting(I was inspired by yours) and have gone to surface mout leds and resisters.i have found that the solder paste avalabe on e bay invaluable..put the paste on touch a hot iron on and bingo..also double sided tape to hold them inplace.... I have been using 1206/0806/0403's along with some 5050's for my sodium halide decklights. a 3 in one led so 3.4v and 100 mv x3 and 47 ohm surface mount resisters

Roadrunner I've tried all of that with smd's, I've mentioned it a few times. I have no problem with them at 0806 or even 0403 sizes, I don't even have to resort to double sided tape to hold them, in fact the rear deck lighting and cabin lighting are 0806 smd's. Get down to 0201 size and it's definately not something I as a human can solder. On the odd occasion I have managed it they are as bright as the larger size but and absolute pain to work with.

Watch your solder paste. For the quantity you get it is expensive stuff! It has a propensity to dry out, that is, unless it is all amalgamated in the bottom, ie some of it is left on the sides of the container after removing excess from the toothpick, it will dry and go hard making it unuseable - I've tried! Even mixing the drier stuff in with the paste at the bottom, it doesn't mix, just stays lumpy. If you try to use it, the stuff melts but won't join parts together.

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #364 on: December 19, 2015, 07:11:35 pm »

yes the paste needs mixing every other day to stay good and sealed..i have been experimenting with k&s brass #8159 brass rod to attach the 0403's to as it is .020 and the double sided tape to hold the rod in place after tinning .and position the 403's on it as all my magnet wire is to big for them.i did get some copper clad bord but have found it to hard to cut into strips narrow enough with the meager amount of tools I have on hand(being a technition for Cadillac you would think tools would be abundant. they are but most all are to big for hobby use.love my new table saw but looseing a 1/4 inch at a time due to blade with is a waste I can't afford when competing with shwnbn's scrapbooking addiction).so having something to solder the wire to has been a problem..i cant picture 0201 size I will have to check them out...I found the 5050's and 1206's hard at 1st then worked my way down to 0403's...I was wondering how you hold your leds if not using double sided tape?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #365 on: December 20, 2015, 08:43:25 am »

..i cant picture 0201 size I will have to check them out...I found the 5050's and 1206's hard at 1st then worked my way down to 0403's...I was wondering how you hold your leds if not using double sided tape?

Have a look at the last photo on page 14 of this topic, there is a 0201 next to the eye of a sewing needle for comparison %%

Holding them I have a couple methods, all basically the same just different items. first is a pair of spring tweezers, or a bulldog clip or a womans, hair clip, each will hold the edge of the smd while allowing it to be raised off the workbench, they also act as half decent heatsinks for the smd as well. I've put a couple of photo's as UK terminology is not always the same as US ones!

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #366 on: December 20, 2015, 05:55:13 pm »

whoa and I thought 0403's were tiny..i will have to try this out.since I have 2 daughters&the wife thoses shouldn't be to hard to find hahahha..might get in trouble if seen on the workbench though haha..

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #367 on: January 08, 2016, 11:40:18 am »

Do you all remember this ugly duckling from 11 long months ago?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #368 on: January 08, 2016, 11:43:07 am »

Well here she is in her almost completed state. I still have some small details to finish but to all intents she is ready to sail, as I don't have a sailing water within 40 miles, its going to have to wait a month or two for those photo's. I can't put her on the swimming pool as it has its winter cover in place until March, so here you are, ask any questions and I'll attempt answers.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #369 on: January 08, 2016, 11:44:15 am »

Time to move on to my next build now.....

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #370 on: January 08, 2016, 12:33:32 pm »

From ugly duckling to elegant swan in less than a year; that's brilliant progress Brian.

That winch was an interesting installment to read about last year.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #371 on: January 08, 2016, 01:23:17 pm »

Superb results.  What a beauty.      :-))   

Well done Brian.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #372 on: January 08, 2016, 02:24:21 pm »

Thanks guys, what I won't miss from this build are the stanchions for the railings, I eventually cut 162 of the damn things from sheet brass and then drilled 3 holes in every single one. Next time its going to be etched brass, especially on my next build which are only 10mm tall with 4 holes  :embarrassed: {:-{

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #373 on: January 08, 2016, 04:03:02 pm »

Lovely job  :-))   The detail just looks so good its hard to believe its the same boat!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #374 on: February 11, 2016, 06:34:57 pm »

The last few photo's. Any more and it will be when she is on the water later in the year.

All complete except for a few mushroom vents, the crew is now aboard and at work, the oxy acetelene thermic lance is scratchbuilt just as everything else is. Most of these photo's are just to demonstrate the entire lighting rig now operational, I particularly like the bridge consoles showing through the windows and I still have that pesky red mast light to sort out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.