Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords Leveller  (Read 5353 times)

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
Halfords Leveller
« on: October 29, 2014, 02:26:36 pm »

Hi,
I've had the most unsucessful run recently trying to spray my boat wheelhouse using Halfords rattle cans.  Usually I get a decent finish but for various reasons I've had to respray several times and the last one isn't as glossy as I would like.  It's not matt by any means just not as glossy as usual.

Has anyone had success with Halfords leveller in helping with finish issues?  I've not tried polishing (normally use Mer) yet and would usually attempt that first but can leveller be used after polishing if the polishing doesn't help?  Finally, I assume that the same rules about temperature and wet weather apply to using leveller as to spray paining in the first place?

Apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it!

Thanks
Phil

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Halfords Leveller
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 07:18:26 pm »

HI Pipster

First you need to look at what caused the poor paint finish, If you were spraying in cool damp conditions that will cause a lot of your problems, also if the rattle cans were not shaken properly and were warm themselves.

Leveler does nothing for the gloss finnish it levels lumpy paint work, it does this by partially dissolving the paint and allowing it to find its own level so smoothing the surface.

Using any type of buffing / cutting compound, you must allow the paint to harden. Any time from 24 hours, onwards, it depends on type of paint and the temperature and humidity,

Is it possible that your poor finish is due to overspray and you have a 'sandpaper' finish?  when spraying hang damp newspaper or towels / sheets around your work area, this will hold the dust in the air, stop it landing on your painted finish.

Hope this helps

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:15:13 pm »

painting over a polished surface I would say is a NO NO. The man you need to ask is Stavros he is a car painter and knows paint real well

john

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 08:34:00 pm »

Thanks guys,

The finish is more slightly orange peel than sandpaper; I was thinking leveller might help that and I could then polish up a bit.  My concern is that I might end up worse off using leveller?

I sprayed a couple of days ago, it was overcast but not damp and mild - about 14-15 deg C. 

Mark, thanks for the wet towel/newspaper tip, I'll give it a go.

Phil

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:09:41 pm »

Farecla Paint rubbing compound  :-)) Black Bottle green writing,2000 wet dry with warm water and FAIRY LIQUID in it.....Flat down and buff up with the above and then polish

Dave

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:03:00 pm »

Hi Phil

As it is orange peel, that is caused by being to close to the subject, with a gun or airbrush turn the pressure down.

Try a green scouring pad just to take the lumps off, then buff it.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:21:29 pm »

Mark NO NO NO it MIGHT work for YOU but a green pad is FAR TO ABRASIVE believe you Me, I paint cars for a living and I should know about this.
Secondly the OP stated that he used Halfords Rattle cans and not an airbrush or a Gun and as for advocating turning the pressure down HOW WRONG you are...........Orange peel is caused by simply having the viscosity of the paint to thick or moving the gun far to slowly......

Dave 

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:36:26 pm »

Great thanks Dave.  Just so I'm clear is the order - flat down with 2000 wet and dry (used as per your post) then rubbing compound, then polish?  Also, do Halfords do the Farecia rubbing compound?  My local independent car parts shop closed down a while ago!

Phil

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:03:04 pm »

Hi Phill

Go on euro car parts, they do all the bits

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 11:06:31 pm »

Yes Halfords do everything you need

Dave

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 12:11:28 pm »

Thanks again chaps
Phil

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 04:53:34 pm »

Dave,

I'm sure I'm being dim but could you let me know which Farecla Rubbing Compound I need.  The only one I could find in a black bottle is G3 scratch remover.  The other options I found were G3 universal rubbing compound and G10 finishing compound but these were in yellow bottles(or possibly green - I'm colour blind!).  Is it one of these you recommended or something different again?

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 22 queries.