Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POWER DISRIBUTION BOARDS  (Read 3392 times)

midships

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
POWER DISRIBUTION BOARDS
« on: October 29, 2014, 07:46:43 pm »

HI ALL ELECTRONIC EXPERTS
I AM BUILDING A 1/12 TAMAR I HOPE WITH THE FOLLOWING WORKING FEATURES
1 STROBE LIGHTS
2  NAVIGATION LIGHTS FLOOD LIGHTS
RAISING AND LOWERING OF MAST UNIT PLUS TRANSOM DOOR
THE BLACK ARTS OF ELECTRICS MIGHT AS WELL BE A BLACK HOLE (ELECTRICS NOT MY STRONG POINT
I RANG ACTION ELECTRONICS THINKING I WILL USE ONE OF THEIR DISTRIBUTION BOARDS FOR THE MAIN FUNCTION WHEN I MENTIONED THE 70 AMP HOBBY KING BRUSHLESS E S C EVERY THING CAME TO A STOP
I HAVE THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS
TWO OVERLANDER T 3548/05 BRUSHLESS MOTORS
TWO OVERLANDER 11.1 LIPO BATTERIES EXTREME PRO 60
TWO HOBBY KINK 70 AMP BRUSH LESS E S C ,WATER COOLED
FUTABA 6EX TRANSMITER AND RECEIVER 
IF ANY BODY COULD BUILD A DISTRIBUTION BOARD WITH AN ON OFF SWITCH I WOULD BE QUITE WILLING TO PAY FOR ANY COMPONENTS REQUIRED AND THEIR TIME OR PROVIDE ME WITH WIRING DIAGRAMS I WILL ALSO USE A SOUND UNIT P100 I THINK FROM ACTION ELECTRONICS
HOPE ANY ONE CAN HELP 
REGARDS
MIDSHIPS
HOWARD

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: POWER DISRIBUTION BOARDS
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:33:13 pm »

Please do not write in Capital letters.  It is regarded as shouting om the Web.   :-)

Cheers

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

midships

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 09:07:53 pm »

hi kenny
i was not aware that capitals would cause offence to any one i was more concerned about getting my problem on to the site before the computer crashed again
thanks for your concern
regards midships
howard

HUNTER

• Hunter
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Is my cocoa ready yet?
    • Hunter Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:43:33 am »

Hi Midships, the problem is the 70 amp ESC's The Distribution board is manufactured on a PCB with a foil pattern for the circuit. The foil pattern under load will noy carry that sort of load and will burn out quickly. Also the switch that is installed will have contacts that will again not withstand that amperage. The wire that you will attach you will attach will be 6mm - much too large for the connectors.
You are working in the field of fast electric boats.
D.M. and Ian from Component Shop will agree with me, and by the way, I have been manufacturing this product under the name of Distribution Board for at least 28 years, long before it was hacked by the late owner of Action. O0
Is my cocoa ready yet?

inertia

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:32:16 pm »

D.M. and Ian from Component Shop will agree with me, and by the way, I have been manufacturing this product under the name of Distribution Board for at least 28 years, long before it was hacked by the late owner of Action. O0
A trifle unnecessary, Graham - although I couldn't agree more with the rest of your response. 

If anyone can be said to have "hacked" the name of the product then it's me; Craig Talbot having died six months before the P92 was designed (by myself and Tim Fawcett). In mitigation, what else do you call a circuit board that distributes power?

There are some considerable differences between the ACTion power boards and the Hunter Systems unit. Specifically the ACTion P92/102/107 all have a 5v BEC, five outputs, LED indicators, a 25A capacity, auto blade-fuses and no switches, while your boards have no BEC, three outputs, no LEDs, two different versions for 5A or 15A, cartridge fuses and switches. Hardly the same product, then.

I think there's room on the market for both types without any basis or need for cries of "foul!", don't you?

Dave Milbourn

HUNTER

• Hunter
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Is my cocoa ready yet?
    • Hunter Systems
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 02:38:10 pm »

A trifle unnecessary, Graham - although I couldn't agree more with the rest of your response. 

If anyone can be said to have "hacked" the name of the product then it's me; Craig Talbot having died six months before the P92 was designed (by myself and Tim Fawcett). In mitigation, what else do you call a circuit board that distributes power?

There are some considerable differences between the ACTion power boards and the Hunter Systems unit. Specifically the ACTion P92/102/107 all have a 5v BEC, five outputs, LED indicators, a 25A capacity, auto blade-fuses and no switches, while your boards have no BEC, three outputs, no LEDs, two different versions for 5A or 15A, cartridge fuses and switches. Hardly the same product, then.

I think there's room on the market for both types without any basis or need for cries of "foul!", don't you?

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your correction,
Is my cocoa ready yet?

inertia

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 03:52:48 pm »

Midships
This is a classic case for using a separate power supply for the auxiliary functions. The Tamar is the size of a baby-bath so there's no shortage of room.
Connect your motors and speed controllers direct to a battery for each set i.e. one motor/ESC/battery each for port and starboard. Use 12AWG silicon cable and 4-5mm gold-plated bullet connectors. I have no reason to believe that the motors will draw anything like 70A each, but this setup would see you good for 45A. Don't bother with switches - use the bullet plugs for on/off.
Fit a third battery - perhaps a 12v NiMH pack - for the lights, mast, transom and sound system; by all means using a power distribution board (your choice...... %) ). Your receiver will take its power from the BEC of one of the speed controllers, so disconnect the red wire from the receiver plug of the other one and don't use the 5v BEC flylead if you fit an ACTion board.

Graham
No probs, and do please take care of yourself, mate.

Dave M

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 09:11:23 pm »

I built an all singing, all dancing Speedline Tamar last year and can offer one set of options that I know work and I also used the same Escs and motors etc as you.

As already said, for both main motors and the bow thruster it is so much simpler to use 1 battery per Esc.  I powered the hull radio receiver from the Mtronics bowthruster Esc which was powered by a 6v, 7Ah SLA; simply because the bowthruster is used much less than the main engines. Each of the 3 motor batteries is independently fused and switched and 20amp fuses are all that is needed. Separate switching allows a managed power-up of the systems and allows you to hear the individual brushless self-tests.  The hull lighting obtains power from the receiver power supply, so if the stern and deck lights etc are on then the receiver has power. The transom door is servo controlled directly from the receiver.

The Cabin has a completely separate electrical system - a 7.4v Lipo cell, an in-line BEC and a second radio receiver off the one transmitter, again with it's own  fuse and switch.  This manages the main mast, radio masts, radar and all cabin and mast lights through a range of R/C switches and relays.

I am not sure your radio has sufficient channels, I use a Turnigy 8 channel system and still had to combine functions, such as main mast, radio masts and main mast lights on the same switch.

I certainly don't want to draw the circuits though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.