Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol boat engine installation commission.  (Read 9133 times)

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Petrol boat engine installation commission.
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:51:52 am »

Hey Folks,

Last year I bought a pair of Atlantic challengers from a nice man in Brighton. The electric one I restored, ran and have now sold on. However the other one was built to be petrol powered but all running gear had been removed.

Thanks to Kurt I've now got most of the bits needed to get it going. Unfortunately I don't seem to have the time. My question is would there be anyone here interested in a commission to get this boat running and ready for boating season next year? The boats currently in Shrewsbury but I posted the last one so that shouldn't be an issue.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Petrol boat engine installation commission.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 11:02:30 am »

Current state of affairs:

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 05:45:08 pm »

Hi .with whom and where do you intend to race this boat ??? and what have you  done so far ? some  more pics would help please
1 Small Part of  "OMRA,s" Great Team

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 06:11:33 pm »

Hey den, the boat wasn't really intended for racing (I'm fairly sure there's not a category for 26cc jet boats!!) the installation hasn't really progressed. I out the parts in the boat to see if they roughly fit and that's about the extent of it! As for more pictures here you go:

From what I can tell I need a new header pipe, coupling to the jet drive, servo box, servos and fail safe (I've seen the doc and Dave spark out on eBay).

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 07:13:00 pm »

Hi Tom , sorry,.  I,m not  clued up on jet drive boats,but a lot of the Atlantic Challengers I.ve seen have mostly been submerged drive,,,,much better ,, very quick and stable if set up correctly,its a pity your not a bit closer I would have taken up the challenge, I know a few guys in OMRA who may be able to help ,(with info) I,l ask around,,..you never know you might get lucky on this page,,..Kurts one of the good guys.,, but please consider the drive system...good luck

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 08:16:18 pm »

Hey Den, I can box it up and post it to you no problem! I've seen a couple with submerged drives but for me this boat has got to be on jet drive like the original!

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 09:50:31 pm »

Hey Den, I can box it up and post it to you no problem! I've seen a couple with submerged drives but for me this boat has got to be on jet drive like the original!

Hi Tom

I do so much hope that Den will take up your challenge now that you are willing to box up and post the boat to him. Please do keep us posted as to the progress. It will be Fab to see your boat running as intended. :-))

Craig
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 10:50:32 pm »

..Kurts one of the good guys.,

O0 O0 O0    but what about everyone else ? %% %% %%

tom if you need the boat finishing i know kurt uses telford lake perhaps he may be able to help you if you can get over to priorslee

BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 11:18:18 am »

Hi Craig ..like I said I don,t know enough about water jet drive to take on someone else,s work...I would have thought though that someone in this section of the forum could have taken it on with all the expertise there is out there,,maybe you or someone in your association could have a go at it {-) {-) {-) cheers fella

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 11:32:08 am »

Hi Craig ..like I said I don,t know enough about water jet drive to take on someone else,s work...I would have thought though that someone in this section of the forum could have taken it on with all the expertise there is out there,,maybe you or someone in your association could have a go at it {-) {-) {-) cheers fella

den  :-)) :-)) you just made me realise we do have someone who built a couple of jet boats in bmprs

good idea craig you know who knows about jet drives   steve the guy who had the jet drive boats at telford   he may help tom help ! and hes in a similar area to where the boat is too

tom pm me your contact details  i will get you intouch with a guy who knows all about jet drives he built two cracking jet boats one electric on petrol !

mark

mark
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 12:50:19 pm »

Thanks for the help folks! Den, the jet units all installed the issue I'm having is hooking up the petrol bits and working out what the best coupling is!

TMBC, thanks for the lead, you have a pm. Whilst my boats in Shrewsbury I actually live in Manchester so fairly close to you and Kurt.

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 01:07:27 pm »

Hi Tom

I have zero experience with jet drive set ups. However looking at your images again, am I correct that the steep angled bearing supported shaft drives the jet unit? If so I think that the single biggest challenge will be to find a way to connect that to the engine. I say that because ideally you would want the engine inline with that shaft......but then would the engine end up way too high in the hull?

Whether you could find a robust enough coupling to run with an angled connection is debatable perhaps.

it will be interesting to see what solution is found.
Craig

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 01:20:39 pm »

Hey Craig, the pictures may be slightly misleading, the output shaft from the engine and that from the jet drive are in pretty much perfect alignment (same level and both centre line in the boat). The boat has previously been run wig the same engine I'm using now (but was sold without any of the ic equiptment) but I've not been able to get in contact with the fella I bought it from

MPM

• Full Mayhemer
    • MillPond Models
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 12:01:16 pm »

I'd do it but just not got the time to do it before xmas.
I could help you getting the parts together to do it your self.

Ive made my own nitro jetboat years ago and i have vast experiance in working with the real thing!!!
You can go two ways with connecting the drive to the engine.
solid shaft with rubber dampers or you can go flexishaft with it in a tube... i personally would use a solid stainless shaft but looking at that pictures the collet is part of the clutch so you will have to use a flexishaft.
if you want we could make up a drive line for you to fit... i just need some dimentions from you.

Jack
MPM

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 01:30:34 pm »

Hey jack that would be awesome if you could! It's not an urgent job, I could wait till next year, I'd just hoped to get it going for next spring/summer.

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 06:06:50 pm »

Hi Tom

Have bought quite a lot of bits and bobs from jack at MPM over the past couple of year.
Can vouch that his service, quality, and value is second to none!

Garry
Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 06:32:19 pm »

Fair play to you Den. You was correct. Someone in our BMPRS section of this forum, has now offered their expertise to help. And others may follow. It is good of our BMPRS member Jack from Mill Pond Models to step in here and offer a solution.

Tom please do keep us posted in due course. Jack's suggestion of a flexi drive connection makes a lot of sense to me as I did not spot until Jack mentioned it, that the collet mechanism is part of the clutch on your engine. Do we assume that some kind of strong bracket will be needed to support the tube containing the flexi shaft?

Regards
Craig :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 06:17:18 am »

A friend in Canada built this one might give you an idea.Im sure Jack will sort it out for you but heres a pic of my friends setup and a video also.Glad someone offered to help,Jacks a good fella  ok2 .
Mart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTAbmKEivLE

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 07:27:13 am »

Goodness....that is a very tidy build  :-)).....one question  ok2

The stern aerofoil appears to have adjustment for both angle, rake & position......

Is this used or adjusted relative to any operating parameters or location conditions? or does it float on the three sphericals on each side?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 06:26:54 pm »

A friend in Canada built this one might give you an idea.Im sure Jack will sort it out for you but heres a pic of my friends setup and a video also.Glad someone offered to help,Jacks a good fella  ok2 .
Mart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTAbmKEivLE

Hi Mart

That was a cracking photo of a very neatly put together boat, and the excellent vids from mistycreekboats always attract my attention. One vid I would love to see of this particular boat is of it in action on the lake.....

An aspect that interested me in the photo shown was the use of the servos now available that are classed as properly waterproof as opposed to previous ones that were deemed water resistant only.

Cheers
Craig

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 12:34:19 pm »

Just heard from Randy who built the boat,first run the coupling failed,after rebuild he dropped her on her stern damaging the stearing assembly so he needs to get a new one aaargh.
Mart

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 08:56:37 pm »

Thanks for the update Mart.

Do we know what aspect of the coupling failed? I only ask because I see two couplings in the images....

Is the connection between the two couplings a flexi shaft (as I first thought) or a solid shaft?

Please keep us updated :-))

Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.