Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamiya masking tape issues  (Read 11559 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Tamiya masking tape issues
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 03:05:26 pm »

STOP using the Tamya tape and get on Ebay or look for your nearest CAR BODY SHOP suppliers and get some FINE LINE TAPE..................far superior than the Jap stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Hi Stavros, is there any particular Brand of Fine Line tape you would recommend? I just looked on ebay and got over 500 search results.

Charlie

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 06:57:02 pm »

I have also had the same problem with Tamiya tape and now I only use 3M tape. No issues with this type and you can get a big reel of lining tape for a very reasonable price

Stavros

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »

I use this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JTAPE-3mm-Highly-Flexible-Fine-Line-Paint-Airbrush-Masking-Tape-Heat-Resistant-/172118890059?hash=item281315d64b:g:-84AAOSwJ7RYWAPg

This

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINE-LINE-MASKING-TAPE-5MM-X-25M-HIGH-TEMPERATURE-132c-FOR-BODYSHOP-FINELINE-/322422574648?hash=item4b11e20e38:g:fLUAAOSw9N1VwRlf

I also use this..the Rolls Royce of fine line tape

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-471-BLUE-FINE-LINE-MASKING-TAPE-12mm-x-33m-06408-/142274272109?hash=item2120351b6d:g:52gAAOSwcLxYHMSB

This I have allways got in the shed in 3mm to 12mm.....Allways use this first then overlap with Masking tape...either indassa or 3m then overlap the masking tape edge with fine line AGAIN.....If i am painting say a water line within 10 mins of being sprayed I ALLWAYS demask and I CAN NOT say this LOUD enough...with a CLEAN and I repeat a CLEAN finger lightly rub along the masked edge of the paint QUICKLY AND LIGHTLY.....WHY I hear you all ask....simples really...it will get rid of the hard edge of paint between the 2 colours.....By the time you have left it for ten mins and demasked it ,,,then is the time to do it....TRUST ME IT WORKS.......dont believe me then simply ASK Tug Kenny our moderator

Sorry for shouting but sometime you simply have to

Dave

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 11:03:32 pm »

Yes I meant Paint reaction due to incompatible materials....doesn't matter a hoot if the paint is dull after rubbing down the lacquer will bring back the shine....BUT as I said paint a piece of scrap first with the green before you put the Halfords lacquer on top of it ......just in case

Hi Dave
I find that odd .
1 I have used both Hycoat and Halfords on the rest of the boat no problems .
2 . The green Hycoat was sprayed on top of green Hycoat . then masked off so no Halfords white could have touched it.
The only thing that touched the green was X3 different type of tape .
A big thanks for your help and advice . I hope to try and sand it down on friday night .

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 05:44:18 pm »

found the cause of the problem . Halfords White primer . Been reading on Mayhem forum about other people who have use the primer and had the same problem . Seam the white primer stays soft . this cause the green to be on a soft under coat . When the green was dry and hard . the rubbing of tape to mask off the green caused the tape to in dent the green as the primer was still soft below it . It would seam there Grey primer seams fine . Wondering if Halfords have recived a bad batch .

John

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 05:54:21 pm »

Just some pictures of my new fishing boat over sprayed with different Grey primers with no problems. I have to say white primer always seems very thin. Please note the phone number on the bottom of each tin different brand names same manufacturer. I will be using Tamiya tape for masking never had a problem I remove it straight after I have applied the paint finish. But each to there own.

Stan.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 06:01:07 pm »

I will be switching to grey primer from now on .
The tapes I have used are fine . White primer was the root cause of the problem .

John

T33cno

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 01:33:00 pm »

Some good info this thread  :-))
I too am victim of Tamiya tape impression left behind.
The problem is that its not always desirable to remove the masking tape soon after. I am treating an area that needs priming, filling sanding priming again and then a clear lacquer. This requires the masking to stay in place a number of days.

The same will occur when painting bulwarks and ribs.

Any solutions?

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 07:39:48 am »

I tend to use a lot a masking fluid if I'm not removing it soon after painting, I have left the fluid on for months before peeling and it always comes away, I've also used Tamiya masking tape with no issues but then I remove that within an hour of painting, Tamiya stuff is not great but certainly not the worst

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2017, 06:16:45 pm »

What masking fluid Paul? I have a bottle of the Humbrol Maskol and their youtube video says not to leave it longer than 24 hours. Having said that I find it difficult to use out of the bottle, almost impossible to brush over a part and get complete coverage.

My wife has a bottle of Ken Downs fluid on her watercolour table ( I keep an eye on her stuff :embarrassed: ) I might give that a go next time.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2017, 07:36:28 pm »

I tend to use Incredible White Mask Liquid Frisket but I have to order it from the US as I cannot find it here yet!!  %% but someone did say to try PVA & water mix works just as well but I've not tried this yet so cannot confirm this is true
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.