Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell 1/350 USS Wasp  (Read 5291 times)

J90

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Revell 1/350 USS Wasp
« on: November 04, 2014, 09:05:20 pm »

Hi folks,
I've received a 1/350 revell USS Wasp as a gift which I intend to convert to r/c. It's a big kit with a deep hull.
Is there anyone on the forum who has converted this already?
I need some advice and guidance. I'm not bothered about it having scale props or rudders, I just want it to work on the water with suitable motors and battery pack.

I'm planning to visit the international model boat show this weekend with a shopping list based on what may be recommended.
Many thanks for suggestions.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Revell 1/350 USS Wasp
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:40:29 am »

ask SHG, he is normally good at this
http://www.shgmodels.com/acatalog/
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 06:51:07 am »

I like converting plastic models to RC but shy away from aircraft carriers because of all the weight of the kit is either on the flight-deck or above it making them unstable. (think lots of solid-plastic aircraft & an off-centre bridge way above the waterline).

If they are big enough, you can fix it with ballast or a keel, but at 1/350, I think it could be tricky.

Good luck - I'd like someone to suceed and show me the way - please post photos as you go along.

Firefly

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 10:11:35 am »

Hi J90,

Might I suggest Dean's Marine ?

Ron Dean has successfully shoe-horned micro radio control equipment into a number of 1/72 scale Airfix and Revell model boats and markets the equipment to do this, as a set, retailing at about £80 (I believe). He also offers a motorising set for the 1/200 scale Bismark kit so I guess the motors and control equipment, for your model, fall somewhere between these two motorising options. I am sure that Ron Dean will be able to help out and a visit to the Dean's Marine stand at Warwick, this weekend, may provide the solution to your need !!

Best regards

Firefly

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:39:44 pm »

I have via a good friend, just received a 1-700 scale USS Hornet, fully rc with 4 motors. My friend Tony Dalton is an electronic genius and has better eyesight than myself and Im 20 years yonger!!. It was first displayed and sailed in public at the St Albans show this year. He has done an article that will appear in a magazine in 2015 sometime! ps it sails very well, is not lopsided and sits well in the water.
full time penguin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 06:00:52 pm »

Hi . i so far have done 6 plastic kits conversion .
First you need to know what the hull can handel . very easy to do ,mark the water line on the hull with a pencil . make the hull water tight. Now float the hull and fill it with water till she sits on the water line . Messure the water in the hull this will give you the weight the hull can support note you have to take in to account the rest of the kit. The lighter the rc equipment is the more ballast you can have makeing for a more stable model .
For ESC tryed loads and could ony recomend Mtronics mini. look at 7.4v lipo batterys , make the prop shaft from K&S metal from your local moel shop. If the props on the kit look ok use them if  not give prop shop a call. Use a 9gram servo for steering and geta cheap 2 or 4ch rc set up from howes models

john

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 06:40:15 pm »

Try here for micro receivers
Www.deltang.Co. uk
full time penguin

J90

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 08:23:36 pm »

Thank you all for the helpful replies.
I intend to use the boat only on still days and calm water so I may get away without needing a removable keel. However I'll take care to make room for retro fitting one when placing all of the electrics in the boat.
I'll have to buy some new props, the ones in the kit are very flimsy, really flimsy. I'm not after scale replacements; something the same diameter with 3 blades will do.
Having re examined the kit again, the rudders will be replaced with something more practical.

Never thought of micro servo's but will do so now.
Thanks for the ideas chaps.
Chris

J90

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 04:08:32 pm »

I'm about to paint the flight deck of this model but what I failed to mention earlier is that I'm creating my own 'what if'  Hospital ship version without weapons.
Bearing in mind that the hull and superstructure are white, which colour do you all think would be best for the flight deck? Dark grey, light grey or a dark green? All of the aircraft will be painted a shade of white.
I'd appreciate your thoughts before I start.
Thanks.
Chris

J90

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 06:27:55 pm »

I've decided on a Tamiya very dark green paint -  xf58.
I'll post pics next week as it starts to come together.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 06:38:11 pm »

HI Not sure if you got my last two p/m but her goes. Go on the web look for modern U S hospital ships numerous pictures to be found. It would appear the decks are white with a helicopter landing area in a mid grey finish. Have look at the humbrol range of greys 123/125/126/127/128/129/164/165/166/167/140. Humbrol 67 tank grey may be to dark. Grey is a colour that would change very quickly shade wise when exposed to sea water and sun light so the answer to your question is  there may be no set colour. I hope  this may help with you question.

Stan. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

J90

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 08:54:03 pm »

Thanks Stan. I already have some mid grey paint in stock and that was my first choice but as most flight decks appear to be very dark grey in colour I was torn between what colour to use. I didn't like the dark grey so thought about a very dark green so that the  aircraft would stand out.
Anyway to cut a long decision short I've changed my mind again. It's now going to be a mid grey deck. The white aircraft will stand out because they will have a red cross on them. As it's a 'what if' r/c conversion my choice of mid grey is correct :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.