Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "stirling 34" new hull build  (Read 3327 times)

James Brand

• Shipmate
"stirling 34" new hull build
« on: November 04, 2014, 11:25:15 pm »

I hope this is of interest to the model boat community, this is a current build that I am on.
it is a scale model of a Stirling 34 with the designers original hull.
I can make a build log if you are interested.
kind regards

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "stirling 34" new hull build
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 09:48:20 am »

Hi James,

Welcome to Mayhem.  We would indeed be interested as we love build logs and pictures.  I can't say I know this craft, so please be our guest.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

James Brand

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:17:47 am »

Thanks Ken!, the Stirling 34, was designed by Norwegian naval architect Petter Martens of Berserk design and Banana Shark racing. the boat was built for round Britain, Cowes to Monte Carlo (which hasn't happened) and offshore racing series
the design was modified for RC by enclosing the canopy to full "race spec" and obviously cutting the canopy to be removable for access to the guts.
Finally the we shrunk the model to 72" roughly 1:5 scale

James Brand

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 12:01:31 pm »

Here you can see the 3D model with enclosed canopy and hatch cut out ready for CNC

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:06:44 pm »

Nice project ! How are you going to build her ? CNC milling of molds and then fiber glass or carbon ?  :-)

James Brand

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:19:00 pm »

Thanks! the plugs will be cut on a 5axis CNC.
the plug material is foam, rough cut and stuck to birch ply framing (to keep it stiff), this is all then laminated with epoxy then finally coated in epoxy tooling paste ready for milling and finishing.
I will be building the parts from glass and carbon, hand laminated and infusion. there is a possibility a pre preg version will be built with either foam or nomex core.

these picture are demos of the cutting path of the router.

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 09:07:11 pm »

Yes we are very very interested! Brilliant boat and a great project, I presume you have seen this but if not it is worth a look. Its a build log of the real boat, you will need to register to view them but it's well worth it. http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?263032-BananaShark-34-Stirling-Build-thread&highlight=bananashark
If you don't mind me asking, have you got the exact plans for the boat or have you made it from the pictures? Would you sell one of the hulls you make from the mould?
Cheers

James Brand

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 10:20:21 pm »

This model is exact, the 3D model scaled down exactly so 6ft long x just over 1ft beam. (perfect for D-E class omra).
Thanks me3! grate for sharing that with other users who haven't seen or heard of the full-size  .The Banana shark unit is about 2 minuets drive from my place, the Atlantic is about 1 minuet drive, that's why I run bigger boats.

the only change made was to the wetted hull portion, Petters design, less aggressive steps less strakes and a different approach to an anti stuffing bow. I will be selling these in the future.... eventually.. hopefully this will be an interesting build for you all, once my website is up and running there will be a blog with technical tips.
I also manufacture surfboards, composites is what I do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.