Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sail boat from BBC TV series  (Read 16833 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Sail boat from BBC TV series
« on: November 05, 2014, 10:25:02 am »

I may have finally lost my marbles, I am actually researching on the feasibility of reproducing a sail boat featured on a famous BBC TV series. No, not a period drama like Downton Abbey, but an enthralling feature aimed at younger viewers.  In The Night Garden

As a novelty talking focus at the lake I fancy replicating the boat in which Iggle Piggle sails to the Night Garden.
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ5ku4z1pjs

I have found a suitable boat on E-Bay, 53 cm long.  Ideal for conversion.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-boat-Large-wooden-sailing-rowing-boat-white-nautical-gift-53cm-/151191754738?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

And a talking Iggle Piggle
http://kids.fbgreen.co.uk/Page_i433564

The sail needs to come off as the plan would be to have Iggle Piggle lounging in the back holding the tiller, covered by his red blanket to obscure the motor and RC controls.  A very bright LED lamp 2/3 the way up the mast would look most effective at a night sail.

Now . . . if I can tap into the dolls sound system using a spare channel that would be the biz !!!!

( I have been known for building some weird ships,  . . . )
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sail boat from BBC TV series
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:19:30 am »

aye Bob.
 wot ever floats yer boat  {-)  would make a change from http://www.mtcw.ca/theodoretugboat/
 Frank

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:44:55 am »

Or Freddy the Ferry  %% %%
I've done a few trips across Torbay on this one  8) 8)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 06:09:58 pm »

No worse than me considering making a replica of the Black Pig from Captain Pugwash, compete with crazy 'rocker' shape! Go for it  %%

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 12:22:29 pm »

For those of you who thought I was only having a giggle, you were wrong, I have gone completely bonkers.

The little boat from the CBBC TV programme “In The Night Garden” is underway. I have now sourced a sailing dinghy that can be remodelled to replicate this tiny craft, plus the scale crew member for it.

Getting the scale right was the first problem.  The programme defines the size of the boat as “no bigger than your hand” to a viewing age of one to four years.  I therefore measured my 3 year old grandson’s palm, and from the length of the boat have determined my working scale to be eight point four to one.  ( 8.4/1 ).

The boat is proportionally OK, but will need a lot of detail work to get it to look right, as there are bound to be the three year old rivet counters at the lake side. “Take down the little sail. Light the little light”.  The mast is wrongly set, and the rudder needs a workable version.  The decorative planked hull will to be resin sealed inside and out. A keel would be essential on open water.

The Iggle Piggle figure sleeping under his nice warm red blanket should help hide the electrics and sound system.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 02:15:48 am »

@Bob K:

Yes you are right; you have gone totally bonkers!

What a great project..... looking forward to the comments from the 3 year old rivet counters  :}
Amateur at work...

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 11:48:05 am »

No worse than me considering making a replica of the Black Pig from Captain Pugwash, compete with crazy 'rocker' shape! Go for it  %%

I dare you!!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 05:49:10 pm »

At Black Park there are always many families with young children walking along the lakeside path, taking great interest in the many model boats on the water.  It is natural therefore to have novelty boats to appeal to the younger kids. A swan with turning head, several motorised ducks (one towing a flotilla of chicks), a log with chicks, two Flintstones themed boats with moving figures, a rowboat, paddling canoe, etc.

My TV themed boat will not be out of place there.   {-)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 02:12:47 am »

Does anyone have any photos of these novelty boats?

I am sure I am not the only one who would be interested in seeing them.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 03:41:17 am »

At Black Park there are always many families with young children walking along the lakeside path, taking great interest in the many model boats on the water.  It is natural therefore to have novelty boats to appeal to the younger kids. A swan with turning head, several motorised ducks (one towing a flotilla of chicks), a log with chicks, two Flintstones themed boats with moving figures, a rowboat, paddling canoe, etc.

My TV themed boat will not be out of place there.   {-)

Hmmm.  wonder wot the kids would make of Rich`s  "Gator Dundee" would it make them flee or would they want to stroke it.. {-)

frank.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 06:22:59 am »

Does anyone have any photos of these novelty boat?

A photo taken from the TV

Some of the music being captured for the on board sound system. An IPod Shuffle, amplifier and speaker.
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krBG2WZAoZ4

Programme shown daily at around 6:15pm on CBBC TV.  100 episodes, produced by the makers of Telletubbies. Narrated by Sir Derek Jacobi.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 07:09:05 am »

@Bob K:

For a sound system if you can fit it in, this one might suit instead of the iPod etc....

These units are great - they will play most sound formats - MP3 is common file type.
Readily available on eBay globally, typical cost should be under US$20 including the memory card. Search for "Kaidaer"
Stacks of volume, they charge on a USB port.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAIDAER-Mini-Speaker-TF-cardMP3USB-Player-Stereo-Heavy-Bass-KD-MN02-BLACK-/261110910840

Youtube review of the item
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q19EJQLZHKU&feature=player_detailpage
Amateur at work...

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 08:48:29 pm »

@Bob K:

For a sound system if you can fit it in, this one might suit instead of the iPod etc....

These units are great - they will play most sound formats - MP3 is common file type.
Readily available on eBay globally, typical cost should be under US$20 including the memory card. Search for "Kaidaer"
Stacks of volume, they charge on a USB port.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAIDAER-Mini-Speaker-TF-cardMP3USB-Player-Stereo-Heavy-Bass-KD-MN02-BLACK-/261110910840

Youtube review of the item
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q19EJQLZHKU&feature=player_detailpage
The unit might need a bigger boat - it appears to be solidly and quite heavily built.
Having just spent a few days with my granddaughter for her 2nd birthday, I got to see quite a bit of the Night Garden - anybody else notice that the boat stays firmly put until after the sail has come down and the crew has snuggled down?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 10:21:27 pm »

The unit might need a bigger boat - it appears to be solidly and quite heavily built.
Having just spent a few days with my granddaughter for her 2nd birthday, I got to see quite a bit of the Night Garden - anybody else notice that the boat stays firmly put until after the sail has come down and the crew has snuggled down?

I am using an IPod Shuffle, which is very small, plus a small mini-amp and speaker.  I will also be using a small motor & prop for power, to simulate the mysterious sail-less movement you have astutely spotted.   {-)

Glad to hear you are enjoying the TV series, as I am with my 3 year old grandson.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 05:18:20 pm »

Does anyone have any photos of these novelty boat?

I used my Lesro Sea Hornet as a runabout for the Wind in the Willows characters. The children (and parents) love it. I call it 'MESSING ABOUT' and Toad, Badger, Mole and Ratty have no complaints so far.
Bob.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 06:49:36 pm »

Not a boat unfortunately but children and adults alike love models based on TV programs. Here's one I made some years ago......

U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 02:38:24 pm »

where's clunk, his plane defied gravity and the laws of aero dynamics  {-)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 05:19:55 pm »

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 12:25:01 pm »

More than a year gone by with no boat building.  So much for ‘retirement’ when I looked forward to some quiet time each day, with maybe a couple of trips to the lake each week -  weather permitting.  We now have eight people in the house, all ages. Getting fed up with keep starting to get stuff out, only to have to put it away again.

To hell with it.  Lock the workshop door and turn off the phone.  Just a simple little project, the Iggle Piggle boat from CBBC In The Night Garden.  The ‘cheap’ 14 inch clinker sailing Dingy has been stripped and heavily modified, plus required fibre glassing inside and out to waterproof it.  New mast stepped well foreward.

A working rudder was needed, with dummy tiller and link wire to a micro servo inside in progress.  Prop shaft has been fitted with tiny motor and plastic prop.

Next stage will be a small 4.8V battery, On / charging switch and charging socket, plus a very small Dean’s 10A ESC.  IPod shuffle with a 6 minute loop of tracks from the TV show coupled to a mini amp PEC and two inch speaker in the bow. Of course the famous little light has to be hoisted on the mast.

Songs video clip  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krBG2WZAoZ4

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 11:31:05 am »

A fairly straightforward project after my other ‘limits pushers’, but fun. The rudder needed significant enlarging. Usual method of 2 bits of 1mm plasticard epoxied in place as a sandwich, filled and shaped to new profile.  Boat painted up to replicate the TV original.

The rudder linkage required some adaption as it operates off centreline.  Dummy tiller top is fixed.  Repositioned mast equipped with ultra-bright wide angle white LED with fine wires disguised as rope and hoist.

Getting all the wiring in was interesting.  1,700 mAh 4.8V battery, 10A Dean’s ESC, Rx, speaker, plus printed circuit boards for amplifier and Tx controlled switch for the sound system. Various covers fabricated to go over the workings.

The authentic CBBC Iggle Piggle figure required some surgery to fit loosely over the tiny motor as he needs to lie down.  Here he is sailing away to the Night Garden from Black Park Lake with music from the TV series, watched by younger bystanders.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 12:11:11 pm »

Not a boat unfortunately but children and adults alike love models based on TV programs. Here's one I made some years ago......

U2

Loving that plane :) how well does it fly?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »

Excellent model Bob. I know I already commented in the 'Did you sail today?' thread, but another compliment in the right place never hurts.

In the end the project looked quite involved despite its size, and like youn say, I am sure there will be discerning toddlers out there critiquing!

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »

Thanks again ballastanksian.  %%

We seem to have a tradition of novelty boats at our club.  From Frank's famous rowing boat, to Flintstones paddle-wheeler and punt, a Swan with turning neck, various ducks (some with chicks in tow), a canoe paddled by 'Action Men', plus animatronic crocodile and Loch Ness Monster.  ... Not to forget the Nile Boat, and a narrow boat with waitress carrying a tray of drinks around the seated passengers, and a solar powered catamaran.

A lot of public pass around Black Park lake, including many young children who seem to like the novelty boats with their working 'tricks' over the more conventional tugs yachts and warships.

I thought it about time I added something to this varied and fun fleet.

Bob K

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 09:48:44 pm »

Not my cup of tea but excellently executed. It does without doubt look exactly like the image you posted and built to a very good spec to boot. Well done.
It'll look better when it's finished!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 04:07:29 pm »

How many times do you take your (say warship) to the lake only for the occasional bystander to always misidentify it as either "Titanic" or "an Army Boat"?

During a two hour sailing session on Thursday between 12 and 15 young children immediately recognised my new boat.  "Oooh!  Look,  Iggle Piggle boat !", staying to watch it and listen to the music.  It seemed to amuse the parents too  {-)

Instant recognition at last.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.